Fire crews respond to structure fire in Boone CountyPosted on 6 November 2017 at 7:10pm
BOONE COUNTY - Firefighters responded to a structure fire on Cowan Road Monday. The Boone County Fire Protection District (BCFPD) received a call at about 4:15 p.m. reporting smoke coming from a garage.
"Before units arrived, the fire progressed up to the attic, which is what firefighters spent the majority of their time on the scene trying to deal with," BCFPD Bureau Director Josh Creamer said.
According to BCFPD, the homeowner was in her kitchen when the fire started, and noticed smoke through her window.
"She opened the door to the garage, she noticed thick, black smoke," Creamer said. "She very smartly closed the garage door and immediately evacuated the structure and called 911."
The homeowner was the only one in the building, and she was not injured.
The garage is believed to be a total loss, and crews are trying to salvage the rest of the structure. Investigators are trying to learn what started the fire.
Most Popular Recent Stories
UPDATE: No one injured after fire destroys 5 businesses in Macon Posted on 17 November 2017 at 12:41pm
Police arrest Columbia man for alleged sexual abuse Posted on 17 November 2017 at 3:42pm
Authorities: Drowning in Current River raising questions Posted on 17 November 2017 at 1:44pm
(Heavy Download) Shots fired at Ninth and Cherry Streets in downtown Columbia Posted on 18 November 2017 at 1:49am
Arrest made in Jefferson City thefts from cars Posted on 17 November 2017 at 12:54pm