Columbia resident receives minor burns from portable space heater firePosted on 10 November 2017 at 11:10am
COLUMBIA - One person was hurt in an apartment fire officials believe started because of a portable space heater.
Columbia firefighters responded to a six-unit apartment building at 407 Ann St. around 10:30 Thursday night. They saw smoke coming from the basement, then starting battling a fire in a basement bedroom.
Two people were inside the home when the fire started. One person got minor burns trying to put out the fire. The person got medical treatment on the scene, but refused to go to the hospital.
The Columbia Fire Marshal's Office investigated the fire. It determined a portable space heater was set too close to combustibles. The estimated damages are $10,000.
The Columbia Fire Department would like to remind people to keep portable space heaters at least 3 feet away from flammable materials.
Most Popular Recent Stories
Mother of severely injured child seeks justice Posted on 21 March 2018 at 3:31pm
MO health officials warn how to spot measles after Midwest outbreak Posted on 21 March 2018 at 6:21pm
Columbia resident wants a stop to the chain break-ins Posted on 21 March 2018 at 5:00pm
National Single Parent Day touches heart of local mom Posted on 21 March 2018 at 5:52pm
TARGET 8: Airport board members say they weren't looped in on $30 million terminal decision Posted on 21 March 2018 at 9:20pm