Columbia resident receives minor burns from portable space heater firePosted on 10 November 2017 at 11:10am
COLUMBIA - One person was hurt in an apartment fire officials believe started because of a portable space heater.
Columbia firefighters responded to a six-unit apartment building at 407 Ann St. around 10:30 Thursday night. They saw smoke coming from the basement, then starting battling a fire in a basement bedroom.
Two people were inside the home when the fire started. One person got minor burns trying to put out the fire. The person got medical treatment on the scene, but refused to go to the hospital.
The Columbia Fire Marshal's Office investigated the fire. It determined a portable space heater was set too close to combustibles. The estimated damages are $10,000.
The Columbia Fire Department would like to remind people to keep portable space heaters at least 3 feet away from flammable materials.
Most Popular Recent Stories
Callaway County woman convicted of husband's murder dies in prison Posted on 25 September 2018 at 12:36pm
Teen convicted in connection to 2016 homicide, murder charge dropped Posted on 25 September 2018 at 12:52pm
Roots N Blues N BBQ Festival switching it up this year Posted on 25 September 2018 at 8:32am
Dunkin' Donuts is officially dropping 'Donuts' Posted on 25 September 2018 at 6:39pm
Officer injured while pursuing suspect who pulled gun Posted on 25 September 2018 at 6:31pm