$10,000 Pepsi Granted Award to Girls Program
COLUMBIA - Heart of Missouri Girls on the Run has been awarded a Pepsi Refresh Challenge Grant in the amount of $10,000. This is a grant awarded to projects receiving the most online and text message votes in a given one-month period.
The funds from the grant will allow Heart of Missouri Girls on the Run to expand their council over the next nine months. This spring, the program will continue at Fairview and New Haven Elementary schools. New sites will include Midway Heights, Mill Creek and Shepard Boulevard in Columbia.
Next fall, the program will continue the expansion. Fall 2012 sites can be at any school in the mid-Missouri viewing area. Interested schools need to contact Heart of Missouri Girls on the Run by visiting our website at www.heartofmissourigirlsontherun.org.
50% of the funds will be awarded this month, the remainder will be distributed after approval of a mid-grant report detailing use of funds in May.
The funds will be used to:
- provide scholarships for girls demonstrating financial need, so they can participate in GOTR
- provide programming materials - curriculum, training supplies, incentives, etc.
- provide program shirts and 5k event shirts for participants
- conduct background checks on coaches and volunteers
- provide CPR training for coaches
For the spring 2012 season, Heart of Missouri Girls on the Run plans to serve 75 girls. Many volunteer opportunities are available to help with the expansion and delivery of the program.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: