66-year-old weightlifter overcomes challenges to do what he loves

1 year 1 month 2 weeks ago June 04, 2016 Jun 4, 2016 Saturday, June 04 2016 Saturday, June 04, 2016 4:41:00 AM CDT in News
By: Landon Burke, KOMU 8 Anchor

COLUMBIA - Bench pressing more than 350 pounds is an impressive feat for anyone, but especially for a senior citizen. Russ Tandy has been lifting weights since he was a young man. But now, at 66 years old, he's still setting new personal records.

"Age to me is just a number," Tandy said. "When I look in the mirror, it shocks me sometimes. I don't think of myself that way! I think like I'm in my 40's."

Tandy said he enjoys the challenge of lifting weights because it requires constant dedication.

"If you're gonna be good at this, this is 52 weeks a year," Tandy said. "If you wanna look good this Summer, you don't start lifting in April. If you want to feel strong, you don't wait until 3 weeks from now to start."

Tandy said he has learned the importance of surrounding himself with people who challenge him to keep pushing. He admitted there were a few times in his life where he was satisfied with his strength. But any time he tried to take it easy, one of his buddies would get in his ear.

"Somebody would push me a little bit. They'd say, 'you can do more than that," Tandy said.

As he has gotten older, Tandy has learned his true competition is with his old self.

"Weightlifting is one of those things where, once you get reasonably good at it, and once you understand what you're doing, you keep reaching a little deeper, and a little deeper," Tandy said. "That's where I am today."

Tandy told KOMU 8 News lots of people look at his success in the weight room and assume he's "lucky" to still be in such good health. But in reality, his success in the weight room came with several medical obstacles.

In the past 11 years, Tandy has had 3 major surgeries.

In 2005, Tandy learned that he had a serious condition in his colon. To contain the illness, surgeons had to surgically remove several inches of Tandy's colon.

Tandy said his recovery took several weeks. About six weeks after his operation, he cautiously took to the treadmill.

"I started walking on the treadmill at no incline, at about a half a mile an hour pace," Tandy said. "It wasn't much, but after that, I felt like I conquered the world," Tandy said.

In 2007, Tandy got more bad news. He had developed prostate cancer.

Tandy said this operation was much more serious than the last.

"I kept thinking 'there goes everything,'" Tandy said.

Tandy knew after this surgery, he would have a long way to go. But once again, he started small, and worked up gradually.

"I couldn't touch anything for six weeks," Tandy said. "I was as weak as a kitten, but I knew I'd get back into it. Six weeks later, I'm back on that flat treadmill, going a half a mile an hour. And I build it up from there."

His operation was a complete success, and now Tandy has been cancer-free for about 9 years. But even though he is no longer battling cancer, he still faces other challenges.

About two years ago, Tandy had shoulder surgery to fix a bone spur that had cut through 80 percent of his rotator cuff. Tandy said at first he thought it was just a sore muscle. It wasn't until he visited a doctor that he learned it would require an operation.

Though he had already overcome a colon condition and prostate cancer, Tandy feared this shoulder injury would really be the end of his weightlifting career.

"That was the one I thought might put me down," Tandy said. "But within a year I was benching 375 again."

Tandy said when it comes to the body's limitations, the key is mind over matter.

"Get up and go," Tandy said. "Attitude is everything. Attitude, to your health, is everything. Attitude, toward your life, is everything."

Tandy said he often sees people his age give up on their bodies too soon.

"I've seen some of my friends, they'll have any one of the things that I've had... and be done," Tandy said. "They'll say, 'I can't do anything now.' When I see that, I'd challenge them on that."

Tandy said he first learned the power of a positive attitude from his father.

"I was raised by a World War II combat veteran," Tandy said. "Pleasant guy, but you never heard him complain. Even when I knew that he hurt, or he didn't feel good, he never complained."

Tandy said his years as a nurse showed him first-hand the power of the mind. He said there were several instances in his career when he witnessed an odds-defying recovery, mainly due to a patient's will to live. Tandy said he is still inspired by the strength of his patients, though he has since retired.

"I've met people that have resolve beyond anything that I could imagine," Tandy said. "I've taken a lot of that from patients and families. Man, they're tough."

Tandy admits that growing old isn't easy. He said he knows one day he might have to rack the weights, for good. But he said when he can no longer lift weights, he will find a new way to keep his mind and body active.

"If that stops you from doing one thing, do something else, don't stop," Tandy said.

Tandy added people should not focus on what they can't do, instead they should focus on what they can do.

"No matter what your age is, if you have something limiting in your life, that is only one limitation," Tandy said. "Move on, and do something else."

Tandy said sometimes people decide to "stop living" long before their life actually ends. He said death is inevitable, but keeping the mind and body active is the best way to get the most out of our time on this planet.

"When the time comes, and it's our time to go, that's ok," Tandy said. "But I'm not gonna sit and wait for it."

COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri referred a case of possible misappropriation of funds from student organization accounts affiliated with... More >>
8 minutes ago July 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017 Tuesday, July 25 2017 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:37:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Summer road trips are going to be cheaper for Missouri drivers this year. According to AAA, the... More >>
30 minutes ago July 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017 Tuesday, July 25 2017 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:15:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri senators are starting work again on a wide-ranging abortion bill. Senators are set to... More >>
1 hour ago July 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017 Tuesday, July 25 2017 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:33:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri woman has reached a settlement in a lawsuit she filed against a former neighbor... More >>
4 hours ago July 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017 Tuesday, July 25 2017 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 11:13:00 AM CDT in Top Stories
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) — Authorities have identified the victims of a triple shooting at a St. Joseph apartment complex... More >>
7 hours ago July 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017 Tuesday, July 25 2017 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:32:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA- The Mizzou International Composers Festival began its series of concerts Monday night with a free show at Whitmore Recital... More >>
7 hours ago July 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017 Tuesday, July 25 2017 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:00:00 AM CDT in News
FLORISSANT, Mo. (AP) — Authorities say a custodian for a St. Louis suburb took photos under the skirts of female... More >>
8 hours ago July 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017 Tuesday, July 25 2017 Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:57:00 AM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - On Monday, Mayor Carrie Tergin presented her approved budget to the city council. Tergin calls the... More >>
18 hours ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 9:08:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia College has seen drastic growth in enrollment and will spend $20 million to expand its campus. Columbia... More >>
21 hours ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 6:16:00 PM CDT in News
FULTON - Fulton Medical Center announced the hospital will be closing no later than September 22 and the announcement comes... More >>
22 hours ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 5:13:00 PM CDT in News
ARNOLD (AP) — Investigators said a motorist who died after a shootout with police along a busy Missouri interstate had... More >>
23 hours ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 4:21:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — More than 28,000 people in the Kansas City metro area remain without power after weekend storms... More >>
23 hours ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 4:17:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY- Democrats voiced concerns over a veto by Governor Greitens after a public hearing Monday morning. The... More >>
23 hours ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 4:08:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Two parents are dead and one child in stable condition after a carbon monoxide poisoning incident that... More >>
23 hours ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 4:07:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – The University of Missouri is partnering with a Columbia-based company to fight a familiar condition in cancer patients.... More >>
1 day ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 3:35:00 PM CDT in News
Golf, softball, walking the dog… being in the sun means that we need to be diligent about protecting our skin.... More >>
1 day ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 2:44:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The St. Louis Police Department is looking at whether more training is necessary after an off-duty... More >>
1 day ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 2:33:25 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Some Democratic Missouri lawmakers are reviving efforts to prevent cuts to in-home and nursing care for... More >>
1 day ago July 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 Monday, July 24 2017 Monday, July 24, 2017 2:18:31 PM CDT in News

Dr. Phil