Posted: Jun 7, 2014 5:56 PM by Amy Munneke, KOMU 8 Reporter
Updated: Jun 17, 2014 3:42 PM
COLUMBIA- A Columbia councilman is considering whether or not new developers pay enough to accommodate new residents.
Fourth Ward Councilman Ian Thomas presented a budget analysis to members of the community Saturday at Dunn Brothers Coffee. The analysis consisted of payments made to the city by new development compared with the costs incurred by the city to expand infrastructure systems in order to meet the needs of new development.
Thomas looked at development fees over a 10-year period and found that the developers are only paying 20 percent of the costs while the other 80 percent comes from taxpayers.
One infrastructure cost he looked at was "Road Capacity Expansion" projects since 2005. He found that the total cost of these projects was $84.5 million but the new developers paid only $7.6 million.
Thomas said Columbia is adding 10,000 residents every three years and it isn't fair that current residents are having to pay for the accommodations created to meet the needs of new residents.
"We are paying for part of the cost of growth from the growth but the majority we're paying for from our existing community and we need, I believe to get closer to charging growth for the actual cost of growth," Thomas said.
Thomas said that he and the other council members have discussed increasing new development fees on the November ballot.
He said they have not discussed how much the fee increase would be.
KOMU 8 News reached out to several new local developments but they have not yet responded for comment.
Posted 6:52 PM 11/28/2015 by The Associated Press
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - Missouri lawmakers are set to question officials in Gov. Jay Nixon's administration on how the state spends money to help refugees.
The Legislature recently set the Monday hearing in response to deadly attacks in Paris and criticism of Nixon's decision not to (More)
Posted 4:38 PM 11/28/2015 by Emma Balkenbush, KOMU 8 Reporter
JEFFERSON CITY - Natasha Johnson started the group, Show Me-Just and Caring Communities, in 2013 and is now beginning to develop the group further.
Johnson started the anti-bully group with another parent after learning about a middle school student who had committed suicide after (More)
Posted 3:29 PM 11/28/2015 by Taylor Stevens, KOMU 8 Reporter
BOONE COUNTY - The Missouri State Highway patrol arrested the man responsible for two high speed chases in Boone and Audrain counties Saturday afternoon.
The Boone County Sheriff's Department said the initial call reported a suspicious incident, in which the suspect knocked on the (More)
Adv. - more news below
Posted 2:18 PM 11/28/2015 by The Associated Press
SEDALIA (AP) — The cause of a fire that destroyed three Sedalia homes on Thanksgiving Day isn't known.
Sedalia Fire Department Battalion Chief Matt Irwin says the cause couldn't be determined because of "the complexity of the house." The Sedalia Democrat reports that heavy smoke (More)
Posted 1:00 PM 11/28/2015 by Taylor Stevens, KOMU 8 Reporter
JEFFERSON CITY - Thanksgiving weekend is one of the busiest in terms of drivers on the road, but about 29 million of those vehicles aren't equipped with a spare tire. New data from AAA shows that more than one third of 2015 vehicles on the road are missing spare tires. In most of those (More)
Posted 4:19 AM 11/28/2015 by The Associated Press
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Governor's Mansion is about to look a little more festive.
The Christmas trees that will adorn the Jefferson City mansion are arriving Monday morning. The outside tree is a 30-foot Norway spruce that came from the yard of a Washington resident. Also (More)
Posted 2:58 PM 11/27/2015 by Nick Komisar & Amy Money, KOMU 8 Reporters
COLUMBIA - The moment the MU football team announced on Twitter that it wasn't going to play until former UM Systems President Tim Wolfe resigned, the Concerned Student 1950 movement was thrust into the national spotlight. A photo was tweeted by some members of the team locking arms, with (More)
Adv. - more news below
Posted 1:52 PM 11/27/2015 by The Associated Press
BRANSON (AP) — Authorities say deputies have killed a man who shot his wife and pointed a handgun at the deputies.
KOLR-TV reports that 58-year-old Rick Gullickson was killed early Friday at a home in southern Stone County. The Stone County Sheriff's Department said (More)