African Refugee Reunites with Family After 11 Years

3 years 10 months 4 weeks ago July 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013 Tuesday, July 23 2013 Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:42:00 PM CDT in News
By: Patrick Rawlings, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA - A refugee from the Congo, now living in Columbia, said he would never forget the day he reunited with his family after more than a decade apart.

Nene Rwenyaguza said, "It's like another wedding."

His long road to the U.S. started with a massacre that separated him from his family.

It was part of the genocide that began when tribal Hutu militias targeted their rivals, the Tutsis, in Rwanda in 1994. It left up to one million people dead.

The Hutus heard there were some Tutsis living in the Congo and headed to the region where Rwenyaguza's family lived.

"In the Congo it was very hard. It was very dangerous," he said.

In 2002, the conflict reached his village.

"The enemy was coming at night and they were coming with machetes and guns, and they said they will kill us."

Rwenyaguza said he and several other men tried to steer the Hutus away from the women and children. He was one of only three men to survive.

"When it was morning I was looking at all the villages; fire already. I said, maybe my family was died."

He said he searched for survivors and their families and was told his own family had been killed, their bodies dragged away.

For six years, Nene looked for his family but could not find them.

"I was running. Three days into Uvira, this is a city. Uvira to Bukavu. Bukavu to Rwanda. Rwanda to Uganda. Uganda to Kenya."

"But I prayed. I say, God where is my family? Maybe somebody could tell me if was died or had seen them, but nobody was telling me they was died."

He decided to come to the U.S. and received papers to be sent as a refugee in 2007. He arrived in St. Louis in January of 2008.

Just one month later, the U.S. Immigrations/Refugee department said it was able to locate his family in a refugee camp in Kenya.

"My pastor in Kenya was calling me, you're family is alive. I was not believing that, I say can you give them name and call them. They were sending me pictures and I say, thank you Jesus."

He then started the process and paperwork to apply for refugee status so his family could come here and join him.

While going through the process, Rwenyaguza was invited by the Congolese community in Columbia to move here and become their pastor.

He secured a job with a cleaning company that services Boone County National Bank.

"One day he came in and he didn't have his interpreter with him," said Charlotte Gaddy, consumer lending officer at Boone County National Bank. She said they began talking and developed a relationship.

"I asked him, ‘Nene, do you go to church?' And, he looked up at me and he said, 'Oh, do you know my Jesus?' And I said, yes, I know your Jesus very well, and he went, ‘Thank you Jesus.'"

Gaddy said they talked for the next hour and he told her how he came to this country, and how he found his family through our refugee department.

"He just became one of my children," Gaddy said. "There's just something about his spirit and my spirit, we just connected."

Last summer, Rwenyaguza was notified that his family would arrive in just a few weeks.

"Immigration was telling me, be patient, your family will be here."

Those few weeks turned into another year of waiting.

"They'd say they were coming again as so he got very excited," said Gaddy.

"Then there was an outbreak of polio, that delayed it so they didn't get to come. There was a miscommunication on identification on his youngest son Freddy, so the government let the paperwork set for months and months and months."

When members of the Columbia community heard of Rwenyaguza's story they rallied behind him.
"After we furnished his apartment, we went on to furnish four more apartments for Congolese members of his congregation," said Gaddy.

Finally, Rwenyaguza got the news he was waiting for.

"My wife, she was calling me, telling me you know they're giving us a flight," said Nene. "I put my hands up, I said, thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus."
Rwenyaguza spread the word.

"I call all the people, all my friends, I say my family will be here on the eighteenth," he said. "That day I will not forget, and the fourth, the day of independence, I will not forget that day."

The reunion was emotional, an embrace separated by 11 years.

"I say I will be strong and not cry, but few minutes, I don't know what happened," he said. "Their life will continue to be good, and I know this is an answer from God."

Rwenyaguza said he is excited about the future and making memories with his family.

"Tomorrow we will dance."

Gaddy said anyone wanting to offer support for Nene can contact her at the bank.

"When these families get here they have nothing," said Gaddy. "I just look for people that are willing to share and give."

JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Republican Gov. Eric Greitens said he prefers a ramped-up House version of a bill to... More >>
3 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:04:56 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – Some Missouri citizens will be affected by a change coming to the Missouri Rx program. On July... More >>
3 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:59:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – The Planning and Zoning Commission postponed a second hearing on the Savoy Drive rezoning plans. Crockett Engineering... More >>
3 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:42:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri circuit judge said Republican Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft's office wrote a confusing and... More >>
4 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:54:06 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A former Kansas City physician was sentenced to one year and three months in federal prison... More >>
5 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:18:30 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri has announced a housing program that would allow guests to rent out rooms in... More >>
5 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:55:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Southern Boone School District leaders are trying to crack down on outstanding lunch debts. The school board will... More >>
7 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:14:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – MU curators are concerned about finances for plant facility growth. The UM Board of Curators met on... More >>
7 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:02:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Crisis training for emergency dispatchers began Thursday at the Boone County Sheriff's Department. The training was focused... More >>
7 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:50:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - A heavy police presence on Thursday afternoon in the 200 block of Apple Tree Court has been called... More >>
7 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:47:00 PM CDT in News
NIXA (AP) — After years of delays, construction has begun on what will be the largest solar farm in Missouri.... More >>
8 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:25:32 PM CDT in News
BOONVILLE – From the color, to the size, to the personality, everything is right about Jake. The supervisor at... More >>
8 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:59:58 PM CDT in News
TROY (AP) — A former easte rn Missouri elementary school principal has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for... More >>
8 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:46:13 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Friendly fire is blamed in the injury to a St. Louis police officer. Officers were... More >>
9 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:13:39 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Authorities say one man has been killed and another wounded in a St. Louis shooting. ... More >>
9 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:09:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Authorities say a postal employee from Kansas City has pleaded guilty to stealing mail. The... More >>
9 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:07:40 PM CDT in News
NETTLETON (AP) — A new MFA Inc. grain-handling facility has opened in northwest Missouri, ending a five-year effort to find... More >>
9 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 12:37:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A Kansas City man is charged with giving a 7-year-old a pack of gum to pose... More >>
10 hours ago June 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017 Thursday, June 22 2017 Thursday, June 22, 2017 11:42:00 AM CDT in News

KOMU 8 News @ 10