African Refugee Reunites with Family After 11 Years

2 years ago July 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013 Tuesday, July 23 2013 Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:42:25 PM CDT in News
By: Patrick Rawlings, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA - A refugee from the Congo, now living in Columbia, said he would never forget the day he reunited with his family after more than a decade apart.

Nene Rwenyaguza said, "It's like another wedding."

His long road to the U.S. started with a massacre that separated him from his family.

It was part of the genocide that began when tribal Hutu militias targeted their rivals, the Tutsis, in Rwanda in 1994. It left up to one million people dead.

The Hutus heard there were some Tutsis living in the Congo and headed to the region where Rwenyaguza's family lived.

"In the Congo it was very hard. It was very dangerous," he said.

In 2002, the conflict reached his village.

"The enemy was coming at night and they were coming with machetes and guns, and they said they will kill us."

Rwenyaguza said he and several other men tried to steer the Hutus away from the women and children. He was one of only three men to survive.

"When it was morning I was looking at all the villages; fire already. I said, maybe my family was died."

He said he searched for survivors and their families and was told his own family had been killed, their bodies dragged away.

For six years, Nene looked for his family but could not find them.

"I was running. Three days into Uvira, this is a city. Uvira to Bukavu. Bukavu to Rwanda. Rwanda to Uganda. Uganda to Kenya."

"But I prayed. I say, God where is my family? Maybe somebody could tell me if was died or had seen them, but nobody was telling me they was died."

He decided to come to the U.S. and received papers to be sent as a refugee in 2007. He arrived in St. Louis in January of 2008.

Just one month later, the U.S. Immigrations/Refugee department said it was able to locate his family in a refugee camp in Kenya.

"My pastor in Kenya was calling me, you're family is alive. I was not believing that, I say can you give them name and call them. They were sending me pictures and I say, thank you Jesus."

He then started the process and paperwork to apply for refugee status so his family could come here and join him.

While going through the process, Rwenyaguza was invited by the Congolese community in Columbia to move here and become their pastor.

He secured a job with a cleaning company that services Boone County National Bank.

"One day he came in and he didn't have his interpreter with him," said Charlotte Gaddy, consumer lending officer at Boone County National Bank. She said they began talking and developed a relationship.

"I asked him, ‘Nene, do you go to church?' And, he looked up at me and he said, 'Oh, do you know my Jesus?' And I said, yes, I know your Jesus very well, and he went, ‘Thank you Jesus.'"

Gaddy said they talked for the next hour and he told her how he came to this country, and how he found his family through our refugee department.

"He just became one of my children," Gaddy said. "There's just something about his spirit and my spirit, we just connected."

Last summer, Rwenyaguza was notified that his family would arrive in just a few weeks.

"Immigration was telling me, be patient, your family will be here."

Those few weeks turned into another year of waiting.

"They'd say they were coming again as so he got very excited," said Gaddy.

"Then there was an outbreak of polio, that delayed it so they didn't get to come. There was a miscommunication on identification on his youngest son Freddy, so the government let the paperwork set for months and months and months."

When members of the Columbia community heard of Rwenyaguza's story they rallied behind him.
"After we furnished his apartment, we went on to furnish four more apartments for Congolese members of his congregation," said Gaddy.

Finally, Rwenyaguza got the news he was waiting for.

"My wife, she was calling me, telling me you know they're giving us a flight," said Nene. "I put my hands up, I said, thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus."
Rwenyaguza spread the word.

"I call all the people, all my friends, I say my family will be here on the eighteenth," he said. "That day I will not forget, and the fourth, the day of independence, I will not forget that day."

The reunion was emotional, an embrace separated by 11 years.

"I say I will be strong and not cry, but few minutes, I don't know what happened," he said. "Their life will continue to be good, and I know this is an answer from God."

Rwenyaguza said he is excited about the future and making memories with his family.

"Tomorrow we will dance."

Gaddy said anyone wanting to offer support for Nene can contact her at the bank.

"When these families get here they have nothing," said Gaddy. "I just look for people that are willing to share and give."

FULTON - The Callaway County Sheriff's Office arrested a man early Sunday morning after actively seeking him for two warrants... More >>
8 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 7:25:50 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - Ranked 47th in the nation by Business Insider, Missouri’s seemingly stagnant economy has been a talking point... More >>
8 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 7:16:13 PM CST in Continuous News
KIRKWOOD, Mo. (AP) — A St. Louis area police officer has been hospitalized after being hit by a car. ... More >>
10 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 5:41:49 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Grocery stores see an increase in customers during Super Bowl weekend. The National Retail Federation reports total customer... More >>
11 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 4:51:48 PM CST in Continuous News
RAYTOWN, Mo. (AP) — An early morning fire in a Kansas City area apartment has killed a child and injured... More >>
13 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 3:01:02 PM CST in Continuous News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The new leader of the Missouri State NAACP says he plans to build a younger, more... More >>
13 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 2:47:03 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Jefferson City man has b een placed on unsupervised probation after he pleaded guilty to... More >>
14 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:37:31 PM CST in Continuous News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A second-floor porch in St. Louis collapsed, injuring five people, two seriously. Fire Department Capt.... More >>
14 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:31:14 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri state Rep. Genise Montecillo is talking about her suicide attempt in hopes of helping others... More >>
14 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:22:48 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Some Columbia pizza companies deliver hundreds of pizza on Superbowl Sunday with as few as three drivers. ... More >>
14 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:07:46 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Columbia police arrested two men Sunday for stealing from West Middle School. Officers along with a CPD... More >>
16 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 12:00:28 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Columbia police confirmed reports of shots fired in north Columbia early Sunday morning. Officers were dispatched to... More >>
16 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 11:35:02 AM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The third annual Black Men Rock event at Columbia College honored leaders in the black community Saturday afternoon.... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 6:54:12 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Police responded to a report of shots fired around 5 p.m. near Olympic Boulevard and Danbury Court in... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 6:31:44 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri lawmaker says he's pleased that a colleague dropped a restraining order against him, but... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 5:28:16 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The fifth annual Lunafest made its way to mid-Missouri Saturday. The festival took place at Stephens College... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 5:19:10 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - A hearing is scheduled in the Missouri Senate Transportation, Infrastructure, and Public Safety Committee for four bills... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 4:55:18 PM CST in Continuous News
PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — The surviving suspect in a multistate crime spree has been booked into a Florida jail. ... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 3:39:43 PM CST in Continuous News
Interactive Radar Columbia, MO
Select a station to view its upcoming show schedule: KOMU 8 CW Mid-Missouri's CW

4:00 amEarly Today