American Red Cross Honors Local Heroes
JEFFERSON CITY - The American Red Cross Heart of Missouri chapter honored nine men and women Tuesday evening.
The organization awarded the local heroes with "lifesaver awards."
"It's about recognizing people who made significant differences in people's lives and in many cases actually saved lives," said American Red Cross Heart of Missouri Executive Director Dave Griffith.
The awards committee chose the winners in seven categories including medical lifesaver, youth lifesaver, public safety lifesaver, military lifesaver, Good Samaritan lifesaver, blood services lifesaver and volunteer of the year.
"It's representative of the kind of people we have in Missouri," Griffith said. "We have people that would do things without question. They see things that need to be done and they step in."
The ceremony included a barbeque dinner and a silent auction at the North Jefferson City Pavilion.
List of Winners
- Youth Lifesaver Award: Kevin Skylar Lewis, 2012 graduate of Calvary Lutheran High School
- Medical Lifesaver Award: Matt Walton, Cole County EMS paramedic
- Public Safety Lifesaver Award: Cole County Deputy Chris Suchanek and Jefferson City Police Officer Curt Bohanan
- Military Lifesaver Hero: Maj. Jamie P. Melchert, Columbia
- Good Samaritan Lifesaver: Sgt. First Class Marc and Capt. Beth Miller, Lake Ozark
- Blood Services Lifesaver: Gina Martin, Jefferson City
- Jeri Lawson Volunteer of the Year: Roy Beal, Jefferson City
To read the stories of these local heroes visit: http://www.redcrosscapitalarea.org/2012/06/08/lifesaver-award-recipients-named/