Apartment fire caused by "improperly extinguished smoking material"
COLUMBIA - No one was hurt after a residential structure fire on Thursday afternoon, the Columbia Fire Department said.
In a news release, the department said it was dispatched at 1:25 p.m. to 1502 Fir Place, apartment B, after smoking material was improperly discarded. The department said it forced entry into the apartment and used a fire extinguisher on the burning carpet.
The department estimated the damage to be $1,000. No one was in the apartment at the time of the fire.
A neighbor in an adjacent apartment called 911, which prevented the fire from growing, the department said. Seven units responded to the call.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: