Attorney General Koster Files Suit Against Dog Breeder
JEFFERSON CITY - Attorney General Chris Koster, in cooperation with the Missouri Department of Agriculture, has filed a lawsuit against Lisa Oldendorf of Barnett for violations of the Animal Care Facilities Act and the Canine Cruelty Prevention Act.
Koster said Oldendorf owns Oldendorf Boxer, a commercial breeding facility operating without a license in Barnett. In the lawsuit, Koster alleges numerous violations of the law, including that Oldendorf:
• failed to provide an adequate waste disposal and drainage system in the sheltered kennel building;
• failed to identify her dogs or keep records of their identification;
• failed to maintain an effective program for the control of insects and rodents;
• allowed the ambient air temperature to fall below 45 degrees; and
• failed to keep the concrete floors in the indoor and outdoor portion of the sheltered facility impervious to moisture;
Koster is asking the court to issue injunctions and a temporary restraining order prohibiting Oldendorf from conducting any commercial breeding activity until further order of the court and from any further violations of the Animal Care Facilities Act or the Canine Cruelty Prevention Act. He also is asking the court to assess a civil penalty of up to $1,000 per violation of the Animal Care Facilities Act; and for Oldendorf to pay court costs.
"We have an obligation to protect the wellbeing of animals, and Missouri has recognized that obligation by passing laws outlining acceptable standards for pet breeders and commercial pet dealers," Koster said in a press release. "This office will continue to prosecute violations of those laws."
The Morgan County Circuit Court has scheduled a hearing for May 17.
"The message is clear - Missouri pet breeders take animal welfare seriously and those who don't will soon find themselves out of business," said Director of Agriculture Dr. Jon Hagler. "I am proud of the Animal Care team's efforts and the continued cooperation of the Attorney General in addressing substandard breeders."
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: