Attorney General suggests tips to Missouri shoppers
JEFFERSON CITY – Attorney General Chris Koster gave tips on Monday to help prevent Missouri consumers from getting scammed.
Among the tips, Koster recommended using the online “Know Mo” portal to check for complaints against specific businesses.
According to Koster, it is helpful to make purchases with a credit card in order to keep a scammer from taking large amounts of money, since every purchase has to be approved by the bank.
Bait-and-switch tactics are also common during this season, according to Koster. This allows the retailer to bring in the customer then convince them to buy more expensive items.
Koster said that shopping online with retailers you know and trust will also help prevent an online scam.
Here is the full list of tips for consumers:
- Bring paper or electronic copies of special advertising
- Research the stores
- Understand return and exchange policies
- Be aware of sales advertised only for certain days or hours in the day
- Be on the lookout for bait-and-switch tactics
- Make purchases with a credit card
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: