Battery Explodes in Police Building Back-Up Generator
COLUMBIA - During a routine test Friday of the back-up generator for the Public Safety Joint Communications building, officials discovered the top had blown off a battery.
The burst battery left acid over the inside of the brick building that houses the back-up power unit. While there wasn't an open flame, firefighters said they had to don protective suits and air filtering devices to enter the building.
As of Friday morning, firefighters had contained the acid and were working to neutralize it. Battalion Chief James Weaver said the fire department was unsure of when the battery had actually exploded before it was discovered.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: