Blind Springfield Man Makes Three-Point Shot

3 years 5 months 3 weeks ago Monday, February 24 2014 Feb 24, 2014 Monday, February 24, 2014 4:47:00 PM CST February 24, 2014 in Sports
By: Brent Pearson and Mihir Bhagat, KOMU 8 Sports Reporters

SPRINGFIELD - A three-point shootout at the halftime show of a college basketball game Feb. 15 opened eyes across the nation.

Michael Quin, a 54-year-old blind man from Springfield, stepped onto the court at the College of the Ozarks, and took a 3-point shot. That shot would later be seen around the country.

Six years ago, Quin suffered traumatic brain damage and went blind after a series of falls.

"I don't remember not being like I am. I don't really know about time or numbers, I don't read or write. What's important is I'm happy right now," Quin said.

Quin plays with Champion Athletes of the Ozarks, an organization that assists children and adults who are living with disabilities. Champion Athletes doesn't just focus on sports. Working with Champion Athletes, Quin and others have the opportunity to build skills to help them function in everyday life.

The organization traveled down to College of the Ozarks for a clinic with the basketball teams in the morning. After lunch, the athletes returned for the men's and women's basketball games. During halftime of the men's basketball game, all eyes were on Quin as he stepped beyond the arc to take the three-pointer.

"I wouldn't be there if it weren't for the Champion Athletes. They tell me and tell others that you can do it," Quin said.

Since Quin can't see the basket, he listens for cues from a guide standing below it. The public address announcer asked for the College of the Ozarks gym to be quiet so Quin could hear the cues.

"It was amazing. It got incredibly quiet. You couldn't hear a sound. And everyone watched," said Susan Miles, director of Champion Athletes.

College of the Ozarks athletic director Al Waller handed Quin the basketball.

"When I was getting ready to shoot the shot, I felt like I was going to make it. I think if you feel that way, it helps," Quin said.

Quin took the shot. Swish.

"Next thing I know, everybody is clapping. And I was so happy," Quin said. "I didn't really understand what crying was. I thought water was going to come from my eyes, I was so happy."

Waller said the College of the Ozarks will never have another halftime show like that.

"It was unbelievable. I mean, our crowd went crazy. They all stood and clapped. People jumping down, trying to giving him high-fives. It was just an amazing reaction," Waller said.

By sinking the shot, Quin won a McDonald's value meal every week for a year.

"I don't know what a year is but you know what? The fact I got McDonald's was great," Quin said.

The only video of the shot came from a fan's cell phone. But the video went viral, even earning the No. 10 spot on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 plays of the weekend.

"It's pretty amazing," Quin's daughter Jessica Quin said. "All the people at school that I talk to say 'I saw this clip of a guy shooting a three-pointer at a basketball game.' And I'm like 'That's my dad. I know him,'" she said.

Michael Quin said, "When you say how does it feel that the whole country knows it, I don't understand that. All I know is I tried my best."

It was a shot seen around the country, except by the man who took it.

Quin is getting crowdfunded assistance through Champion Athletes, via the site Never Leave Athletes Behind.

CUBA, Mo. (AP) — A Native American tribe in Oklahoma is hiring lobbyists in its bid to open a casino... More >>
3 minutes ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 2:16:26 PM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Three people are recovering from injuries after strong turbulence forced a regional airline plane to divert... More >>
14 minutes ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 2:05:07 PM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Just months after dismantling a Confederate memorial, the city of St. Louis has torn up a... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:04:28 PM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — There's a new website aimed at providing sexual harassment resources to interns following past allegations... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:37:57 PM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Governor Eric Greitens says if a state lawmaker who expressed hope on Facebook that... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:25:00 PM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
AURORA (AP) - A former Aurora school superintendent is no longer facing a misdemeanor charge of failing to report child... More >>
2 hours ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:23:00 AM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
HILLSBORO (AP) — Authorities say an eastern Missouri woman who is charged with fatally shooting her sleeping boyfriend told investigators... More >>
3 hours ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 10:54:00 AM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
BOONE COUNTY - Deputies arrested a man on Tuesday on suspicion of sexually assaulting an underage female in June. ... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:39:00 AM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
The Powerball jackpot climbs to $700 million, giving players a chance to dream of winning the second-largest lottery prize in... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:13:00 AM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
STEPHENS - Boone County Pay It Forward , a popular local Facebook group, will host its Basic Needs Fundraiser at... More >>
6 hours ago Wednesday, August 23 2017 Aug 23, 2017 Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:09:00 AM CDT August 23, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Gov. Eric Greitens' surprising decision Tuesday to stay the execution of Marcellus Williams put a spotlight on executions... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:26:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - In an era in which brick and mortar retail stores are falling by the wayside, Columbia's I-70 Business... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:22:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Republican Gov. Eric Greitens is holding a question-and-answer session on Facebook. The governor will... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:17:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – The Missouri Poison Center said snake bites are up this year compared to last. From January to June... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:10:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A dozen protestors dropped off a petition with 200,000 signatures to Gov. Eric Greitens' office Tuesday urging... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:00:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Roots N Blues N BBQ Festival teamed up with Columbia Parks and Recreation to provide free tickets... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:55:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – Lt. Gov. Mike Parson called on the Missouri Senate to go into a special session with the... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:04:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The District Downtown Columbia had decided to give people the chance to remember the total eclipse forever. Anyone... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:02:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News

The Dr. Oz Show