Blind Springfield Man Makes Three-Point Shot

3 years 2 months 14 hours ago February 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014 Monday, February 24 2014 Monday, February 24, 2014 4:47:00 PM CST in Sports
By: Brent Pearson and Mihir Bhagat, KOMU 8 Sports Reporters

SPRINGFIELD - A three-point shootout at the halftime show of a college basketball game Feb. 15 opened eyes across the nation.

Michael Quin, a 54-year-old blind man from Springfield, stepped onto the court at the College of the Ozarks, and took a 3-point shot. That shot would later be seen around the country.

Six years ago, Quin suffered traumatic brain damage and went blind after a series of falls.

"I don't remember not being like I am. I don't really know about time or numbers, I don't read or write. What's important is I'm happy right now," Quin said.

Quin plays with Champion Athletes of the Ozarks, an organization that assists children and adults who are living with disabilities. Champion Athletes doesn't just focus on sports. Working with Champion Athletes, Quin and others have the opportunity to build skills to help them function in everyday life.

The organization traveled down to College of the Ozarks for a clinic with the basketball teams in the morning. After lunch, the athletes returned for the men's and women's basketball games. During halftime of the men's basketball game, all eyes were on Quin as he stepped beyond the arc to take the three-pointer.

"I wouldn't be there if it weren't for the Champion Athletes. They tell me and tell others that you can do it," Quin said.

Since Quin can't see the basket, he listens for cues from a guide standing below it. The public address announcer asked for the College of the Ozarks gym to be quiet so Quin could hear the cues.

"It was amazing. It got incredibly quiet. You couldn't hear a sound. And everyone watched," said Susan Miles, director of Champion Athletes.

College of the Ozarks athletic director Al Waller handed Quin the basketball.

"When I was getting ready to shoot the shot, I felt like I was going to make it. I think if you feel that way, it helps," Quin said.

Quin took the shot. Swish.

"Next thing I know, everybody is clapping. And I was so happy," Quin said. "I didn't really understand what crying was. I thought water was going to come from my eyes, I was so happy."

Waller said the College of the Ozarks will never have another halftime show like that.

"It was unbelievable. I mean, our crowd went crazy. They all stood and clapped. People jumping down, trying to giving him high-fives. It was just an amazing reaction," Waller said.

By sinking the shot, Quin won a McDonald's value meal every week for a year.

"I don't know what a year is but you know what? The fact I got McDonald's was great," Quin said.

The only video of the shot came from a fan's cell phone. But the video went viral, even earning the No. 10 spot on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 plays of the weekend.

"It's pretty amazing," Quin's daughter Jessica Quin said. "All the people at school that I talk to say 'I saw this clip of a guy shooting a three-pointer at a basketball game.' And I'm like 'That's my dad. I know him,'" she said.

Michael Quin said, "When you say how does it feel that the whole country knows it, I don't understand that. All I know is I tried my best."

It was a shot seen around the country, except by the man who took it.

Quin is getting crowdfunded assistance through Champion Athletes, via the site Never Leave Athletes Behind.

JEFFERSON CITY - Capital Region Medical Center held a language workshop Wednesday night for parents with young children who have... More >>
2 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:04:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - City staff are working to make headway on two new landfill projects for Columbia. At a meeting... More >>
2 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:57:00 PM CDT in News
FULTON - The body of 31-year-old Carl DeBrodie may have been in a large storage container filled with cement for... More >>
3 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:37:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA- In the latest Association of American Universities (AAU) report released Wednesday, the University of Missouri was highlighted for its... More >>
4 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:36:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri representatives have approved that the state pay an extra $241 million in unexpected expenses for... More >>
4 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:33:47 PM CDT in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Family members of a man whose death was caused by Arkansas death row inmate Kenneth Williams say... More >>
5 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:26:16 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — St. Louis' city minimum wage could rise to $10 an hour starting next week now that... More >>
6 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:16:16 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Missouri Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft teamed up with Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley and local legislators... More >>
6 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:12:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY – Missouri motorcycle crashes have resulted in 475 deaths since 2012, with 122 fatalities occurring in last year... More >>
6 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:41:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - A controversial bill moving through the Missouri General Assembly could change the handling of workplace discrimination claims in... More >>
6 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:28:24 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri lawmakers are pushing legislation that would make it harder for judges to require domestic violence... More >>
7 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:54:16 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A coalition of organizations rallied at the state capitol Wednesday in support of a "Moral Missouri." ... More >>
7 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:48:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Fire officials in St. Louis are investigating after a vacant home exploded, sending glass, wood and... More >>
9 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:20:50 PM CDT in Continuous News
NEOSHO (AP) - Students at a college in southwestern Missouri will see a tuition increase in the coming year in... More >>
9 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:47:33 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY — Lincoln University students went to an African-American Genealogy workshop Wednesday morning to learn more about their family... More >>
9 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:36:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Missouri Supreme Court has set an execution date for this summer for a man sentenced... More >>
9 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:28:09 PM CDT in News
PINE LAWN (AP) — Police are looking for two cars in connection with the shooting deaths of three men in... More >>
10 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:23:39 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Two men once detained at the Jackson County jail are separately suing over the lockup's conditions... More >>
10 hours ago April 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017 Wednesday, April 26 2017 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:39:45 AM CDT in News

KOMU 8 News @ 10