Blind Springfield Man Makes Three-Point Shot

3 years 5 months 3 weeks ago Monday, February 24 2014 Feb 24, 2014 Monday, February 24, 2014 4:47:00 PM CST February 24, 2014 in Sports
By: Brent Pearson and Mihir Bhagat, KOMU 8 Sports Reporters

SPRINGFIELD - A three-point shootout at the halftime show of a college basketball game Feb. 15 opened eyes across the nation.

Michael Quin, a 54-year-old blind man from Springfield, stepped onto the court at the College of the Ozarks, and took a 3-point shot. That shot would later be seen around the country.

Six years ago, Quin suffered traumatic brain damage and went blind after a series of falls.

"I don't remember not being like I am. I don't really know about time or numbers, I don't read or write. What's important is I'm happy right now," Quin said.

Quin plays with Champion Athletes of the Ozarks, an organization that assists children and adults who are living with disabilities. Champion Athletes doesn't just focus on sports. Working with Champion Athletes, Quin and others have the opportunity to build skills to help them function in everyday life.

The organization traveled down to College of the Ozarks for a clinic with the basketball teams in the morning. After lunch, the athletes returned for the men's and women's basketball games. During halftime of the men's basketball game, all eyes were on Quin as he stepped beyond the arc to take the three-pointer.

"I wouldn't be there if it weren't for the Champion Athletes. They tell me and tell others that you can do it," Quin said.

Since Quin can't see the basket, he listens for cues from a guide standing below it. The public address announcer asked for the College of the Ozarks gym to be quiet so Quin could hear the cues.

"It was amazing. It got incredibly quiet. You couldn't hear a sound. And everyone watched," said Susan Miles, director of Champion Athletes.

College of the Ozarks athletic director Al Waller handed Quin the basketball.

"When I was getting ready to shoot the shot, I felt like I was going to make it. I think if you feel that way, it helps," Quin said.

Quin took the shot. Swish.

"Next thing I know, everybody is clapping. And I was so happy," Quin said. "I didn't really understand what crying was. I thought water was going to come from my eyes, I was so happy."

Waller said the College of the Ozarks will never have another halftime show like that.

"It was unbelievable. I mean, our crowd went crazy. They all stood and clapped. People jumping down, trying to giving him high-fives. It was just an amazing reaction," Waller said.

By sinking the shot, Quin won a McDonald's value meal every week for a year.

"I don't know what a year is but you know what? The fact I got McDonald's was great," Quin said.

The only video of the shot came from a fan's cell phone. But the video went viral, even earning the No. 10 spot on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 plays of the weekend.

"It's pretty amazing," Quin's daughter Jessica Quin said. "All the people at school that I talk to say 'I saw this clip of a guy shooting a three-pointer at a basketball game.' And I'm like 'That's my dad. I know him,'" she said.

Michael Quin said, "When you say how does it feel that the whole country knows it, I don't understand that. All I know is I tried my best."

It was a shot seen around the country, except by the man who took it.

Quin is getting crowdfunded assistance through Champion Athletes, via the site Never Leave Athletes Behind.

COLUMBIA - Gasps and cheers went up from crowds from around the world gathered across mid-Missouri for the total solar... More >>
3 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:44:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The total solar eclipse lasted for only a few short minutes, but the anticipation of the rare... More >>
3 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:39:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri began classes Monday with the second highest retention rate in the university's history, according... More >>
3 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:27:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Viewers throughout mid-Missouri sent in photos and video documenting the solar eclipse that swept across the state Monday.... More >>
4 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 2:57:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in Eclipse Events
ST. JOSEPH (AP) — Two men face felony charges after shots were fired at police during a vehicle pursuit in... More >>
5 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 1:55:15 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
CHILLCOTHE (AP) — Authorities are investigating after an officer was involved in a shooting in northern Missouri. The St.... More >>
5 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 1:43:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Authorities are investigating after an off-duty officer was killed and a woman was wounded at... More >>
5 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 1:31:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
LEE'S SUMMIT (AP) — Police in suburban Kansas City are on the hunt for a man accused of stealing a... More >>
5 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 1:19:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Attorneys for a condemned Missouri inmate warn that the state is preparing to execute a potentially... More >>
6 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 12:51:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
ANNAPOLIS (AP) — Authorities in eastern Missouri's Iron County are investigating a shooting death in a rural area. Th... More >>
8 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 10:57:00 AM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
CAMDEN COUNTRY - The Camden County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help identifying two people who stole a... More >>
8 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 10:14:00 AM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Clouds dissipated enough for many people in mid-Missouri to get a good view of the total solar eclipse.... More >>
11 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 7:58:00 AM CDT August 21, 2017 in Eclipse Events
BOWLING GREEN (AP) — A rural northeast Missouri man is charged with fatally shooting his stepson. Pike County... More >>
12 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 6:53:54 AM CDT August 21, 2017 in Continuous News
SEDALIA - A trespasser was hit and killed by an Amtrak train near the Sedalia train station Sunday evening. ... More >>
13 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 5:52:00 AM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Rural Missouri is preparing for its moment in the sun. Check that: Its moment out of... More >>
14 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 4:25:00 AM CDT August 21, 2017 in Continuous News
BOONE COUNTY - Columbia Police arrested Christopher Moore Sunday night after a standoff that began in the afternoon, according to... More >>
19 hours ago Sunday, August 20 2017 Aug 20, 2017 Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:39:00 PM CDT August 20, 2017 in Continuous News
CALLAWAY COUNTY - While many people are preparing to look into the sky for the eclipse Monday, one airport is... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, August 20 2017 Aug 20, 2017 Sunday, August 20, 2017 6:01:00 PM CDT August 20, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see a total solar eclipse drew people to Jefferson City over the weekend... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, August 20 2017 Aug 20, 2017 Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:55:00 PM CDT August 20, 2017 in News

Wheel of Fortune