Blind Springfield Man Makes Three-Point Shot

3 years 7 months 3 weeks ago Monday, February 24 2014 Feb 24, 2014 Monday, February 24, 2014 4:47:00 PM CST February 24, 2014 in Sports
By: Brent Pearson and Mihir Bhagat, KOMU 8 Sports Reporters

SPRINGFIELD - A three-point shootout at the halftime show of a college basketball game Feb. 15 opened eyes across the nation.

Michael Quin, a 54-year-old blind man from Springfield, stepped onto the court at the College of the Ozarks, and took a 3-point shot. That shot would later be seen around the country.

Six years ago, Quin suffered traumatic brain damage and went blind after a series of falls.

"I don't remember not being like I am. I don't really know about time or numbers, I don't read or write. What's important is I'm happy right now," Quin said.

Quin plays with Champion Athletes of the Ozarks, an organization that assists children and adults who are living with disabilities. Champion Athletes doesn't just focus on sports. Working with Champion Athletes, Quin and others have the opportunity to build skills to help them function in everyday life.

The organization traveled down to College of the Ozarks for a clinic with the basketball teams in the morning. After lunch, the athletes returned for the men's and women's basketball games. During halftime of the men's basketball game, all eyes were on Quin as he stepped beyond the arc to take the three-pointer.

"I wouldn't be there if it weren't for the Champion Athletes. They tell me and tell others that you can do it," Quin said.

Since Quin can't see the basket, he listens for cues from a guide standing below it. The public address announcer asked for the College of the Ozarks gym to be quiet so Quin could hear the cues.

"It was amazing. It got incredibly quiet. You couldn't hear a sound. And everyone watched," said Susan Miles, director of Champion Athletes.

College of the Ozarks athletic director Al Waller handed Quin the basketball.

"When I was getting ready to shoot the shot, I felt like I was going to make it. I think if you feel that way, it helps," Quin said.

Quin took the shot. Swish.

"Next thing I know, everybody is clapping. And I was so happy," Quin said. "I didn't really understand what crying was. I thought water was going to come from my eyes, I was so happy."

Waller said the College of the Ozarks will never have another halftime show like that.

"It was unbelievable. I mean, our crowd went crazy. They all stood and clapped. People jumping down, trying to giving him high-fives. It was just an amazing reaction," Waller said.

By sinking the shot, Quin won a McDonald's value meal every week for a year.

"I don't know what a year is but you know what? The fact I got McDonald's was great," Quin said.

The only video of the shot came from a fan's cell phone. But the video went viral, even earning the No. 10 spot on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 plays of the weekend.

"It's pretty amazing," Quin's daughter Jessica Quin said. "All the people at school that I talk to say 'I saw this clip of a guy shooting a three-pointer at a basketball game.' And I'm like 'That's my dad. I know him,'" she said.

Michael Quin said, "When you say how does it feel that the whole country knows it, I don't understand that. All I know is I tried my best."

It was a shot seen around the country, except by the man who took it.

Quin is getting crowdfunded assistance through Champion Athletes, via the site Never Leave Athletes Behind.

FULTON - Fulton police arrested a man Sunday on suspicion of kidnapping and domestic assault. Someone called the Fulton... More >>
16 minutes ago Sunday, October 22 2017 Oct 22, 2017 Sunday, October 22, 2017 5:47:00 PM CDT October 22, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri's capital city scored poorly in a recent ranking of cities evaluating which places offer the... More >>
1 hour ago Sunday, October 22 2017 Oct 22, 2017 Sunday, October 22, 2017 4:07:00 PM CDT October 22, 2017 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Pet owners brought their dogs and cats to Lizzi and Rocco’s pet store for a halloween themed photoshoot.... More >>
2 hours ago Sunday, October 22 2017 Oct 22, 2017 Sunday, October 22, 2017 3:58:00 PM CDT October 22, 2017 in News
FULTON - Through an exchange in the Columbia Mothers of Multiples Facebook group , Katie Hanney gave and delivered a... More >>
2 hours ago Sunday, October 22 2017 Oct 22, 2017 Sunday, October 22, 2017 3:35:00 PM CDT October 22, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — In some St. Louis barber shops and beauty salons, customers might get sex education while having... More >>
6 hours ago Sunday, October 22 2017 Oct 22, 2017 Sunday, October 22, 2017 11:50:00 AM CDT October 22, 2017 in News
Moberly - An arraignment is scheduled Monday for a Moberly man facing several felony charges ranging from incest, rape or... More >>
9 hours ago Sunday, October 22 2017 Oct 22, 2017 Sunday, October 22, 2017 9:00:00 AM CDT October 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA- Missouri and Kansas will play a friendly version of their 'Border War' rivalry for the first time since 2012.... More >>
11 hours ago Sunday, October 22 2017 Oct 22, 2017 Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:56:00 AM CDT October 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - An armed robbery occurred Saturday night at an O’Reilly Auto Parts store on Cooper Drive. CPD officers... More >>
19 hours ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:10:35 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - One man was taken to a local hospital for a gunshot wound received Saturday night. CPD officers... More >>
20 hours ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 9:56:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
NEW FRANKLIN - The Missouri River Relief organized about 250 volunteers Saturday to remove trash from the Missouri River as... More >>
22 hours ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 7:38:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Officers responded to reports of shots fired at about 6:00 p.m. Saturday at the McDonald's Restaurant on Stadium... More >>
22 hours ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 7:36:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
BOONE COUNTY – Four people were injured in a three-vehicle collision at Obermiller Road Saturday afternoon according to a sergeant... More >>
23 hours ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:24:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
FULTON - Dozens of trucks raced though the mud to raise money for the Central Missouri Honor Flight Saturday at... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 5:48:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The state no longer will make children in foster care pay a $15 fee to get... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:56:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
HOLTS SUMMIT- New bike lines were painted in Holts Summit Thursday to make cycling safer and more accessible. The... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:49:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- Local entrepreneurs walked away with some cash Saturday after an annual pitch off competition. The sixth annual... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:42:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The St. Louis public school district is suing 32 teachers for breaking their contracts by leaving... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:35:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri Museum of Art and Archaeology hosted an explorative event on Saturday for International Archaeology... More >>
1 day ago Saturday, October 21 2017 Oct 21, 2017 Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:23:00 PM CDT October 21, 2017 in News

Football Night in America