Blind Springfield Man Makes Three-Point Shot

2 years 10 months 4 weeks ago February 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014 Monday, February 24 2014 Monday, February 24, 2014 4:47:00 PM CST in Sports
By: Brent Pearson and Mihir Bhagat, KOMU 8 Sports Reporters
Embed Code Copied

SPRINGFIELD - A three-point shootout at the halftime show of a college basketball game Feb. 15 opened eyes across the nation.

Michael Quin, a 54-year-old blind man from Springfield, stepped onto the court at the College of the Ozarks, and took a 3-point shot. That shot would later be seen around the country.

Six years ago, Quin suffered traumatic brain damage and went blind after a series of falls.

"I don't remember not being like I am. I don't really know about time or numbers, I don't read or write. What's important is I'm happy right now," Quin said.

Quin plays with Champion Athletes of the Ozarks, an organization that assists children and adults who are living with disabilities. Champion Athletes doesn't just focus on sports. Working with Champion Athletes, Quin and others have the opportunity to build skills to help them function in everyday life.

The organization traveled down to College of the Ozarks for a clinic with the basketball teams in the morning. After lunch, the athletes returned for the men's and women's basketball games. During halftime of the men's basketball game, all eyes were on Quin as he stepped beyond the arc to take the three-pointer.

"I wouldn't be there if it weren't for the Champion Athletes. They tell me and tell others that you can do it," Quin said.

Since Quin can't see the basket, he listens for cues from a guide standing below it. The public address announcer asked for the College of the Ozarks gym to be quiet so Quin could hear the cues.

"It was amazing. It got incredibly quiet. You couldn't hear a sound. And everyone watched," said Susan Miles, director of Champion Athletes.

College of the Ozarks athletic director Al Waller handed Quin the basketball.

"When I was getting ready to shoot the shot, I felt like I was going to make it. I think if you feel that way, it helps," Quin said.

Quin took the shot. Swish.

"Next thing I know, everybody is clapping. And I was so happy," Quin said. "I didn't really understand what crying was. I thought water was going to come from my eyes, I was so happy."

Waller said the College of the Ozarks will never have another halftime show like that.

"It was unbelievable. I mean, our crowd went crazy. They all stood and clapped. People jumping down, trying to giving him high-fives. It was just an amazing reaction," Waller said.

By sinking the shot, Quin won a McDonald's value meal every week for a year.

"I don't know what a year is but you know what? The fact I got McDonald's was great," Quin said.

The only video of the shot came from a fan's cell phone. But the video went viral, even earning the No. 10 spot on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 plays of the weekend.

"It's pretty amazing," Quin's daughter Jessica Quin said. "All the people at school that I talk to say 'I saw this clip of a guy shooting a three-pointer at a basketball game.' And I'm like 'That's my dad. I know him,'" she said.

Michael Quin said, "When you say how does it feel that the whole country knows it, I don't understand that. All I know is I tried my best."

It was a shot seen around the country, except by the man who took it.

Quin is getting crowdfunded assistance through Champion Athletes, via the site Never Leave Athletes Behind.

PLATTE CITY (AP) — A medical examiner has ruled that the death of a Missouri woman inside a law enforcement... More >>
1 hour ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:57:00 AM CST in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A federal judge has ruled that Ameren Missouri's coal-fired power plant near St. Louis violates the... More >>
2 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:14:00 AM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Chief Justice Patricia Breckenridge is calling for a review of the way courts hold people... More >>
2 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:10:00 AM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Rep. Mike Moon, R-Ash Grove, proposed legislation Tuesday that would completely ban abortions in Missouri. According... More >>
2 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:02:00 AM CST in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A court testimony reveals that a drug debt to a St. Louis entrepreneur and his associates... More >>
3 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:21:00 AM CST in News
CLAYTON (AP) — A St. Louis County man who hit himself in the head with frying pans has died after... More >>
3 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:45:00 AM CST in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Authorities say officers shot and killed one man and wounded another after a police chase in... More >>
4 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:22:00 AM CST in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — All seven members of a St. Louis family are hospitalized in critical condition after a house... More >>
4 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:20:00 AM CST in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Relatives searching for a missing woman have found the decomposed body of man in a Kansas... More >>
4 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:19:00 AM CST in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Authorities say a 24-year-old Kansas City man has pleaded guilty in the shooting death of his... More >>
4 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:16:00 AM CST in News
CLAYTON (AP) — A man has been sentenced to five years of probation for his drunken role in a suburban... More >>
4 hours ago January 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017 Tuesday, January 24 2017 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:12:00 AM CST in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department said it arrested two armed robbery suspects Monday. Detectives said they arrested 26-year-old... More >>
14 hours ago January 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 Monday, January 23 2017 Monday, January 23, 2017 10:40:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department has made an arrest in connection to a shooting in north Columbia Monday evening,... More >>
16 hours ago January 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 Monday, January 23 2017 Monday, January 23, 2017 8:47:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA- A recent study from researchers at the University of California, San Diego and San Diego State University show sedentary... More >>
17 hours ago January 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 Monday, January 23 2017 Monday, January 23, 2017 7:39:00 PM CST in News
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — A 70-year-old man who told investigators after robbing a Kansas bank that he'd rather be... More >>
18 hours ago January 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 Monday, January 23 2017 Monday, January 23, 2017 7:15:01 PM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri's new Republican secretary of state has been defending his decision to appoint a securities industry... More >>
18 hours ago January 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 Monday, January 23 2017 Monday, January 23, 2017 7:08:05 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA - The City of Columbia is looking to improve its apartment recycling program. The program provides recycling containers, which... More >>
18 hours ago January 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 Monday, January 23 2017 Monday, January 23, 2017 6:39:00 PM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Legislation regarding the safety of Missouri law enforcement officers and first responders continues to be a hot... More >>
19 hours ago January 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017 Monday, January 23 2017 Monday, January 23, 2017 5:40:00 PM CST in News

Days of Our Lives