Blind Springfield Man Makes Three-Point Shot

3 years 4 weeks 1 day ago February 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014 Monday, February 24 2014 Monday, February 24, 2014 4:47:00 PM CST in Sports
By: Brent Pearson and Mihir Bhagat, KOMU 8 Sports Reporters

SPRINGFIELD - A three-point shootout at the halftime show of a college basketball game Feb. 15 opened eyes across the nation.

Michael Quin, a 54-year-old blind man from Springfield, stepped onto the court at the College of the Ozarks, and took a 3-point shot. That shot would later be seen around the country.

Six years ago, Quin suffered traumatic brain damage and went blind after a series of falls.

"I don't remember not being like I am. I don't really know about time or numbers, I don't read or write. What's important is I'm happy right now," Quin said.

Quin plays with Champion Athletes of the Ozarks, an organization that assists children and adults who are living with disabilities. Champion Athletes doesn't just focus on sports. Working with Champion Athletes, Quin and others have the opportunity to build skills to help them function in everyday life.

The organization traveled down to College of the Ozarks for a clinic with the basketball teams in the morning. After lunch, the athletes returned for the men's and women's basketball games. During halftime of the men's basketball game, all eyes were on Quin as he stepped beyond the arc to take the three-pointer.

"I wouldn't be there if it weren't for the Champion Athletes. They tell me and tell others that you can do it," Quin said.

Since Quin can't see the basket, he listens for cues from a guide standing below it. The public address announcer asked for the College of the Ozarks gym to be quiet so Quin could hear the cues.

"It was amazing. It got incredibly quiet. You couldn't hear a sound. And everyone watched," said Susan Miles, director of Champion Athletes.

College of the Ozarks athletic director Al Waller handed Quin the basketball.

"When I was getting ready to shoot the shot, I felt like I was going to make it. I think if you feel that way, it helps," Quin said.

Quin took the shot. Swish.

"Next thing I know, everybody is clapping. And I was so happy," Quin said. "I didn't really understand what crying was. I thought water was going to come from my eyes, I was so happy."

Waller said the College of the Ozarks will never have another halftime show like that.

"It was unbelievable. I mean, our crowd went crazy. They all stood and clapped. People jumping down, trying to giving him high-fives. It was just an amazing reaction," Waller said.

By sinking the shot, Quin won a McDonald's value meal every week for a year.

"I don't know what a year is but you know what? The fact I got McDonald's was great," Quin said.

The only video of the shot came from a fan's cell phone. But the video went viral, even earning the No. 10 spot on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 plays of the weekend.

"It's pretty amazing," Quin's daughter Jessica Quin said. "All the people at school that I talk to say 'I saw this clip of a guy shooting a three-pointer at a basketball game.' And I'm like 'That's my dad. I know him,'" she said.

Michael Quin said, "When you say how does it feel that the whole country knows it, I don't understand that. All I know is I tried my best."

It was a shot seen around the country, except by the man who took it.

Quin is getting crowdfunded assistance through Champion Athletes, via the site Never Leave Athletes Behind.

LINN - State Technical College in Linn opened up its campus to recruit prospective students and to show off what... More >>
3 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:49:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Boone County Fire Protection District said Saturday it is conducting a search and rescue at the Katfish... More >>
4 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:37:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Two men each are jailed on $750,000 bond after being accused in connection with the St.... More >>
5 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:38:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Two semi trucks and multiple cars were part of a wreck Saturday that closed westbound I-70. The... More >>
5 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:23:00 PM CDT in Top Stories
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Republican-led Missouri Legislature will get back to a business-friendly agenda when it returns from... More >>
8 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:35:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis man has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole... More >>
9 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 10:54:00 AM CDT in News
CLAYTON, Mo. (AP) — An activist who helped shut down a St. Louis-area freeway during protests commemorating the first anniversary... More >>
9 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 10:45:00 AM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — St. Louis police say a 15-year-old boy was killed and six other people were critically wounded... More >>
9 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 10:41:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – A group of local artists hosted a fundraiser Friday night, giving people people the chance to view works... More >>
14 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 5:40:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – Columbia businesses are coming together to encourage community members to lead healthy and balanced lives. Keystone Chiropractic... More >>
15 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 5:28:00 AM CDT in News
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (AP) — Officials in a Kansas City suburb where a fire destroyed a multimillion-dollar apartment building under... More >>
16 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:30:30 AM CDT in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Police say a man arrived at a Missouri hospital with his lips apparently glued together after coming... More >>
16 hours ago March 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 Saturday, March 25 2017 Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:19:00 AM CDT in News
COLE COUNTY - Deputies arrested a man Friday evening for shooting a gun near Rainbow Hills Road, the sheriff's office... More >>
1 day ago March 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017 Friday, March 24 2017 Friday, March 24, 2017 8:39:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Police Department said Friday it will begin patrolling areas with a high concentration of student housing... More >>
1 day ago March 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017 Friday, March 24 2017 Friday, March 24, 2017 7:09:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri judge says summaries of initiative petitions against right to work no longer fit since... More >>
1 day ago March 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017 Friday, March 24 2017 Friday, March 24, 2017 6:59:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Republican Gov. Eric Greitens will be visiting the U.S. Capitol this weekend to talk policy with... More >>
1 day ago March 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017 Friday, March 24 2017 Friday, March 24, 2017 6:49:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - A Mid-Missouri man has been sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to multiple sex charges. ... More >>
1 day ago March 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017 Friday, March 24 2017 Friday, March 24, 2017 6:22:00 PM CDT in Top Stories
PITTSBURG, Kan. - Former University of Missouri head basketball coach Kim Anderson has agreed to join Division II Pittsburg State... More >>
1 day ago March 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017 Friday, March 24 2017 Friday, March 24, 2017 4:43:00 PM CDT in Sports

Despicable Me 2