Blind woman learns to ride bicycle for first time

1 year 3 weeks 4 days ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 4:55:00 AM CDT in News
By: Alex Dostaler, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA — Gretchen Maune said losing her sight has made her "more fearless." She wanted to stretch herself by learning to ride a bike.

"It felt amazing," Maune said. "Everyone’s so friendly when you’re on a bike. You’re just moving along, you’re getting exercise, and you’re going somewhere, and the wind feels great, and it was just really cool, and learning a new skill."

Maune, 33, has Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON), a rare hereditary condition which causes sudden, painless loss of vision. She lost her sight in September 2006.

She remembers when doctors told her.

"When they finally diagnosed me and told me there was no treatment and no cure, and all that stuff, it was completely permanent, it was really hard," she said. "I got really down and thought for a good year and a half-ish that I was thinking, 'I’m not going to be able to do stuff anymore.'"

Maune first attempted to learn how to ride a bike when she was 7 years old.

"It didn’t go well, and I was just like, 'I learned other things quick, I am not learning this quick, I’m gonna move on, do something else'," Maune said. "I remember that my bike was pink and that I had tassels on the sides, streamer things that came out of the handles. I had a basket with little bows on it, and I thought it was really pretty and I wanted to be able to ride it."

Maune also said this time will be different.

"I’ve been through a lot now," Maune said. "Since then, I have experienced a lot in life. It’s just like, 'Yeah, I could do that.' I’ve done all of these different things, and why not? What’s the worst that can happen?"

Maune tried to ride on a tandem with a friend about five years ago, but she said that did not go well, either.

"We went about five feet and crashed, and he got a really bad cut on his head. I didn’t get on again," she said.

She decided to give it one more chance when her PedNet Coalition colleague, Rachel Ruhlen, offered to teach her on a tandem bicycle.

"We just went up and down my street, which is a little dead end street, over and over again," Maune said. "Then she was like, 'Okay, do you want to go over to Stephens Park?' and then I was like, 'Oh god, maybe we just try going about ten more feet first.'

She said the two then ventured over to the parking lot by Wabash bus station and then a little further.

"It felt okay, and we got onto the Bike Boulevard to go over to Stephens, and it felt okay still. We ended up going 16 miles? And I didn’t get hurt, and I didn’t get scraped up, and I didn’t fall," Maune said.

One of her goals of learning to ride is to combat the stereotypes that she and other blind people face.

"I'm guessing people would be surprised a blind person could ride a bike," Maune said.

She said people are also surprised to learn she can use a computer, or walk down the sidewalk and go to a coffee shop by herself.

"We can do everything that someone who can see can do, we just do it a little bit differently," she said.

How people teach someone to ride a bike has changed since when Maune was younger.

Early in her training this time around, she had to balance on a bike with no pedals, and no training wheels.

Joe Silsby, who teaches Maune with Ruhlen, said this is exactly how he teaches other students.

Maune then rode on a bicycle uniquely designed for blind people, while Ruhlen rides next to her as a guide. The special bike has two wheels in the front and one wheel in the back, in order to help her keep balance. There are also brakes and a bell like any typical bicycle. By her third lesson, she was riding a typical bicycle.

Ruhlen said Maune is not held back by her disability.

"She's picking up bicycling a lot faster than other students,"  Ruhlen said.

Silsby said, "Gretchen is no different from other adults I have taught to ride. She is learning like any other student I have had."

Silsby said he has had to approach his teaching differently due to Gretchen's condition.

"I had to rethink what is different for me as an instructor, not for her as a learner," he said.

"I couldn't demonstrate by having her view me or view obstacles," Silsby said. "I had to think up obstacles that she could 'see' by manipulating, by holding."

To demonstrate a pothole, Silsby had Maune hold the top of a cup and said, "If your wheels hit that, it can take you down." To show the effects of uneven pavement, Silsby used a couple of boards.

Learning to ride a bicycle is an activity she can do friends and she hopes one day to "be able to drink beer and ride my bike at Bikes and Brews."

"I want to be able to participate in this world and have fun," she said.

Maune also likes the idea of getting around faster.

"It feels so great, and you can go so much farther faster than if you’re just walking, because I walk everywhere," she said. "Riding a bike, I don't know, it’s really awesome."

COLUMBIA - A car chase wound through Columbia for miles on Thursday evening around 7 p.m. Multiple agencies got involved... More >>
8 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:11:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Joanthony Johnson, 27, was back in court Thursday for the second day in a row for his sentencing... More >>
9 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:55:00 PM CDT in News
CALLAWAY COUNTY - A Williamsburg man was arrested on Thursday and accused of domestic assault, including pointing a rifle at... More >>
11 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:50:00 PM CDT in News
FULTON - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants Callaway County prosecutor to file criminal charges against Central Missouri... More >>
12 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:25:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens says he'll stop funding cuts for foster-care families that he approved earlier... More >>
12 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:58:41 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A Chicago man has been sentenced to two years in federal prison for his role in... More >>
13 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:21:13 PM CDT in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Law enforcement officials are suing more than a dozen businesses in southwest Missouri suspected of being involved... More >>
13 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:51:43 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY — The Jefferson City Police Department confirmed Thursday that two teenagers were found dead in the Moreau River... More >>
13 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:48:00 PM CDT in Top Stories
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Flags will be at half-staff Friday on all state government buildings in St. Louis to honor... More >>
13 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:43:14 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - A community based organization that provides tutoring services, dance classes, and other skills to children in Columbia is... More >>
15 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:42:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Welcome Home had the grand opening of its new facility Thursday morning. It offers 32 rooms with 34... More >>
15 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:43:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A federal appeals court has upheld a judge's order that Missouri taxpayers pay more than $156,000... More >>
16 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:42:54 PM CDT in News
ROLLA - A drug deal turned violent Wednesday night, leaving a woman hospitalized with a gunshot wound to her head.... More >>
18 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:08:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Columbia Police are investigating a home invasion and armed robbery at the Campus View apartment complex Wednesday night.... More >>
19 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:07:00 AM CDT in News
ST. JOSEPH (AP) — Authorities say three people have been wounded in a shooting at a St. Joseph apartment complex.... More >>
20 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:18:00 AM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A 27-year-old St. Louis jail inmate is hospitalized in critical condition after being found beaten in... More >>
20 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:06:00 AM CDT in News
SULLIVAN, Mo. (AP) — Thousands of ticks have been collected for testing from a Missouri park after a worker died... More >>
21 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:42:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - If you live in southwest Columbia, the city has a suggested watering schedule that might affect you. ... More >>
21 hours ago July 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017 Thursday, July 20 2017 Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:35:00 AM CDT in News

5:00a