Broken Air Belt Smokes at Columbia Movie Theater
COLUMBIA - Columbia emergency personnel responded to a call of a small structure fire at Hollywood Theaters Thursday morning, only to find the smoke was due to a broken air handling belt in the roof of the theater.
The call came in around 9 a.m. Thursday. Fire officials said broken air handling belts are not uncommon causes of smoke, and are not something that will leave much damage.
"They, from time to time, break and when they do, they have a tendency to put smoke into the structure."
Large fans were put in place to clear out the smoke from the one auditorium affected. Staff with Hollywood Theaters said they do not predict this instance will affect or change their daily operation in any way.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: