Chelsea Thomas and Ashley Fleming return to watch one who watched them

9 months 4 weeks 1 day ago Sunday, November 20 2016 Nov 20, 2016 Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:55:00 PM CST November 20, 2016 in Sports
By: Tyler Murry, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

MOKANE, MO - Missouri Tiger softball fans grew used to seeing stars Chelsea Thomas and Ashley Fleming on the diamond, but now they are back in mid-Missouri. However, they are the ones doing the watching now.

"I was watching Chelsea Thomas and Ashley Fleming when they were at Mizzou, and now they were watching me. I couldn't believe this was happening. It was surreal," South Callaway Pitcher Konnor Arrowood said.

Arrowood dominated this season for the Bulldogs both from the plate and from the mound as her play helped lead South Callaway. Her skills caught the attention of a former pitcher in Thomas. Both Thomas and Fleming are now coaches at McKendree University in Lebanon, Ill. after taking the job in 2015, and they have been captivated by Arrowood's talent.

"I was really impressed with just her size and raw athletic ability, and I saw a little of myself in her. She's raw and not that polished pitcher yet with so much potential. I like to go after those types of recruits, because they remind me of myself." Thomas said.

The Arrowood and Thomas connection on the mound seemed to take hold early in Arrowood's life as she plays with the number 18, Thomas's number at Missouri, because she too hoped to be like Thomas one day.

"It happened when I was young. I think I was 12, and I had to pick a new number. I was like you know what, I want to be just like Chelsea Thomas and she pitches at Mizzou, and she wears number 18. Form there it kind of just stuck."

For the new Bearcats coaching duo, Arrowood caught on with them as well.

Fleming said, "I fell in love with her and what she is like on the field, and she was just kind of somebody I kept in my back pocket until I got a head coaching job."

After months of scouting and tough decisions. That dream became a reality on Nov. 11 as Arrowood officially signed her commitment to play for McKendree next year.

"It felt amazing. Growing up everyone wants to hit like coach Fleming, and everyone wants like Chelsea Thomas. All my dreams are coming true," Arrowood said as she smiled ear to ear.

"She's worked really hard. It's always been a dream of hers, and we are just fortunate it is working out," her father, Ryan Arrowood said, "I can remember when she was little and taking her to watch the games and taking her to every came that the then players were participating in. To now have them sitting across the table telling Konnor how much they wanted her was pretty special."

Arrowood wanted to play for Thomas and Fleming, but she also wanted to make sure something else was all hers as well.

Thomas said, "She's like 'is 18 open I really want number 18,' and I was like you know what we can definitely keep that open for you."

It's not every day you get a chance to play for your childhood idol, someone you looked up to all those years, but Arrowood says she is taking it in stride.

"It's like holy crap you know. It's kind of scary, but at the same time I want to show them it was worth it," Arrowood said.

"Has she opened up more than when she first stepped on campus here? Definitely, and I think she is really going to find her rhythm on this team," Fleming said.

For Fleming and Thomas, they said their connection to mid-Missouri will be a positive for finding and connecting to other softball recruits in Missouri in the future.

"That's something I think that stands out to people in Missouri that we both came from a high division-one program of Mizzou that's obviously been in the past few years a top team in the country. So, I think a lot of people are seeing we are doing a lot of those same things, and they want to be a part of that," Fleming said.

For Arrowood, she will be a starting pitcher for McKendree as well as play a big role hitting.

"We're going to want someone that says 'I want the ball,' and I think that is Konnor," Thomas said.

JEFFERSON CITY – The Central Missouri Foster Care and Adoption Association (CMFCAA) is teaming up with Lincoln University to take... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:35:00 AM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Police arrested a suspect Tuesday night in connection with the shooting death of Nathan Taylor on McKee Street... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, September 20 2017 Sep 20, 2017 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:11:22 AM CDT September 20, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Council announced Monday it will declare next week, Diaper Need Awareness Week. The... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 11:38:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – Local education and social services professionals talked to mid-Missouri legislators about a number of issues facing young people,... More >>
13 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:23:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – The price of electricity won't be going up for now. The Columbia City Council struck down an... More >>
13 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:18:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – Bus riders will soon find themselves waiting a little bit longer for their ride. On Monday, the City... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 7:38:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A third person appointed by Gov. Eric Greitens to the state board of education won't serve... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 7:12:35 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - After a July grand opening, Welcome Home was able to move veterans into its new facility on Tuesday... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:18:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
ST. CHARLES (AP) — A Missouri woman has been sentenced to 21 years in prison for leaving her 2-year-old son... More >>
16 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:35:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Attorney General Josh Hawley announced his office's investigation into Equifax Tuesday, along with attorneys general from 43... More >>
17 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:48:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - They are becoming a common sight, tattoos and piercings. According to medical professionals, more young adults and adolescents... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:49:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
FULTON - Tuesday, Callaway County Commissioners announced the change of ownership for the Fulton Medical Center to a rural hospital... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:45:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
LAKE OF THE OZARKS - The state trooper who had Brandon Ellingson in his custody when he drowned in 2014... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:21:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in Top Stories
COLUMBIA - Rock Bridge Christian Church is now a sanctuary space. Sunday, the congregation voted in favor of the decision... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:18:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
HANNIBAL (AP) — Cave enthusiasts are gathering in northeastern Missouri this week for a national cave convention. The Herald-Whig... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:30:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
ROGERSVILLE (AP) — A Missouri mother whose baby died while sleeping in an adult bed is charged with child endangerment.... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:59:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - JCPS Superintendent Larry Linthacum hopes to use a "racially insensitive" photograph as a teachable moment for the... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:27:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News
ST. JOSEPH (AP) — A company has agreed to pay $5 million to settle claims that its butter flavoring chemicals... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, September 19 2017 Sep 19, 2017 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:16:00 PM CDT September 19, 2017 in News

7:00a