Cigarette Causes Deck Fire in Columbia
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Fire Department attributed the cause of a fire Sunday evening to an extinguished cigarette.
Around 7 p.m. officials responded to the scene, a second-story deck at an apartment complex at 902 Rogers St. Officials said a man had tried to combat the fire with cups of water and firefighters finished extinguishing it.
Assistant Fire Marshall Tim Bach investigated the fire and found it originated in a flower pot full of dry peat moss where the cigaretted had been disposed.
Officials said the preliminary damage estimate for the fire is $3,000 and no injuries have been reported.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: