Class of Six Chosen For MU Athletics Hall of Fame
COLUMBIA -- Six outstanding former student-athletes have been selected for induction into the University of Missouri Intercollegiate Athletics Hall of Fame. They will represent the 22nd induction class since the inception of the Hall in 1990.
Here is a look at this year's inductees, with more extensive biographical information to follow:
CLASS OF 2011
- Ben Askren - Wrestling (2004-07): Possibly the most dominant MU athlete in any sport ever, who won two NCAA titles, three Big 12 titles and finished with a record of 153-8
- Don Chadwick - Football (1956-58): One of the top two-way linemen of his era who was an honorable-mention All-American guard as a senior in 1958
- Tom Heckman - Baseball (1978-81): A dominant starter who won 10 games three-straight years, and who led MU to a Big Eight title as a junior and who was an honorable-mention All-American as a senior
- Max Scherzer -Baseball (2004-06): One of the most dominant pitchers in MU history who was the Big 12 Pitcher of the Year in 2005 and twice led the league in ERA before becoming MU's first-ever 1st-round MLB draft pick
- Russ Sloan - Football (1958-59): Top-notch two-way player for legendary Coach Dan Devine who was an honorable-mention All-American selection as a senior end before going on to a career in college athletics
- George Williams - Men's Basketball, Track & Field, Tennis (1920-21): Was one of the most dominant players in the nation of his time, led MU to a 34-2 combined record over two years, two MVC titles and national rankings of #1 and #2
The induction dinner will be held Friday, February 10th, 2011, at the Courtyard by Marriott in Columbia. A reception will begin at 6:00 P.M. followed by dinner at 7:00 P.M. Tickets may be purchased by contacting Carly Northup in the Tiger Development Office. The class will be further honored during halftime ceremonies at the next day's men's basketball game, February 11th against Baylor.
The Hall's constitution and bylaws express its purpose - "...to recognize and honor those individuals who have made exceptional contributions to the achievements and prestige of the University of Missouri in the field of athletics, and who have continued to demonstrate in their lives, the values imparted by intercollegiate athletics."
The current class will up the membership to 181 individuals and four teams in the Hall of Fame. Inductees are honored in a display located in the main entrance at Mizzou Arena.
Nominations are accepted year-round by sending support material to: Chad Moller, Director of Athletic Media Relations, Mizzou Athletics, P.O. Box 677, Hearnes Center, Columbia, MO 65205.