CMU Football Coach Jody Ford Gets "Tough" Against Cancer

2 years 8 months 2 weeks ago October 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013 Thursday, October 10 2013 Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:57:00 PM CDT in News
By: Maddy Glab, KOMU8 Sports Reporter

FAYETTE - Central Methodist University head football coach Jody Ford likes to run tough practices. There's a hill near Davis Stadium that Ford makes the team run from time to time. But Ford is also running up a hill of his own.

"He puts us through a lot when it comes to that hill," senior offensive lineman Bo Amos said.

"We have what's called an MT time, a mental toughness time where we just kick their butt for a few minutes and really let them have it," Ford said. "We run them hills all the time, and then as soon as we get finished running hills, they have to come out in two minute drills and they have to be able to think and focus and be able to excel. It's tough, I mean we put them through a lot of things but they're a special group of kids. They don't flinch, they like to smile back at me and say coach keep it coming, keep it coming because we are going to keep it coming. And that's what I love about this team."

"It's like 'is this guy off his rocker, out of his skull?'" red shirt junior linebacker Conner White said.

"We put them through an unbelievable off season. I mean I put these guys through hell, our coaches put them through that," Ford said.

"He really likes to make sure to push us to our limits and get the best out of everyone," junior quarterback Kaleb Borghardt said.

"You can't be a prima donna on our team, we will run you off. You will not be allowed to be here if that's the case, Ford said. "We have tough guys. Like I said, the stuff that we put our kids through, they have to be able to overcome adversity and our kids know that, especially our older kids. And our older kids, if they see a new kid come in who's not willing to deal with adversity, our older kids don't want him here."

Ford is dealing with some adversity himself. He preaches the word to his team almost every day. But it's not everyday that you hear what Ford had to say about his adversity.

"As soon as he gave the news you know it was just absolutely deafening silence you know everybody kind of stood at attention. Everybody was just kind of shocked at the time, but as soon as that happened everybody rallied together," said White.

The Central Methodist Eagles rallied together because they believe their coach can beat the adversity.

"I found out, we were on vacation in Galveston, Texas, and I realized that there was something wrong with me at that time. And just like any tough guy would you think, 'oh it will just go away, don't worry about it, whatever,'" Ford said. "And, all of a sudden a month went by and it hadn't gone away. And so we went to a doctor in Columbia and she referred us to a specialist, and what she thought might be. And the specialist did their surgery and checked me out and realized 'you know you have cancer' and it had gotten into a lymph node, it was rectal cancer."

It's a rare form of rectal cancer for someone who is under the age of 40. In fact about 90 percent of those with this type of cancer are over 50.

"At first I was kind of sad, mad because I couldn't do anything for him," Associate head coach Miguel Paredes said. "It still kind of hurts, the fact that you know I can't do stuff for him. I told him I wish I could trade places with him but you know he tells me 'don't give me any sympathy, treat me the way you would, make him laugh and stuff.' So that's what helps me be inspired, keep going every day."

Coach Paredes will switch places with Ford, on the field. But that is only when Ford is at MD Anderson in Texas receiving radiation and chemotherapy. Ford travels to Texas every week, Monday through Friday for treatment. But he will back every Saturday to coach his team on the sidelines and not in a hospital bed.

"The doctors said 'hey when we do chemo you know you're going to be tired, you're going to be doing this,' and his response to them was 'I'm making it to every game on Saturday,'" Paredes said.

Through adversity Ford said he's able to find a very positive attitude, an attitude that he said will never change, no matter what type of day he's having.

"Every day should be positive because 'yes I have cancer and 'yes I could be gone in a year or whenever,' but 'my goodness I could be gone tomorrow so why take the breath that's going in my lungs right now for granted,'" Ford said.

His coaching staff and players caught on to this contagious attitude.

"I feel sorry for cancer rather than I feel sorry for him," said Paredes.

"If there's anybody that's going to beat it, it's definitely that guy," said White. "I have no doubt that it's something that is just going to be a little speed bump for him."

"It's not going to be victorious that's for sure because he's a hard headed guy when it comes to putting his mind to something," Borghardt said. "He's going to make sure it happens no matter what."

"One thing I have control over is my attitude and my mentality and there's nothing on this planet that is going to break me," Ford said. "Put me in something bad and watch me respond to it."

COLUMBIA - Investigators responded to a death in the 2900 block of Leeway Drive around 7 a.m. Saturday morning. According... More >>
2 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 12:40:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA (AP) — The Missouri Ethics Commission has dismissed a complaint against Republican attorney general candidate Josh Hawley. The... More >>
2 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:59:06 AM CDT in News
BOONVILLE - Hundreds of mid-Missourians lined Main Street in Boonville Saturday morning to celebrate the history of the city with... More >>
2 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:58:00 AM CDT in News
PERRYVILLE (AP) — A rural Missouri county along the Mississippi River is gearing up for visitors who will arrive next... More >>
3 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:16:12 AM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Gov. Jay Nixon this past week signed legislation to give Missouri teachers support in working with... More >>
3 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 10:55:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA (AP) — Supporters of a transmission line that would carry wind power from western Kansas to the East Coast... More >>
3 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 10:51:10 AM CDT in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A federal appeals court has ruled that a discrimination lawsuit against Springfield, Missouri-based Bass Pro Shops can... More >>
3 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 10:41:37 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Gretchen Maune said losing her sight has made her "more fearless." She wanted to stretch herself by learning... More >>
9 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 4:55:00 AM CDT in News
BOONVILLE - A train crashed into a car near the Isle of Capri Casino and Missouri River Friday night. ... More >>
14 hours ago June 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016 Saturday, June 25 2016 Saturday, June 25, 2016 12:04:00 AM CDT in News
CLAYTON (AP) — A judge says attorneys for the city of Ferguson and other defendants in a wrongful-death lawsuit brought... More >>
17 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 8:47:00 PM CDT in News
HOLTS SUMMIT- The Better Business Bureau is warning mid-Missouri about a new scam, where scammers claim to represent Ameren UE.... More >>
19 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 7:32:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA- The Boone County Fire Protection District got an upgrade on Friday. It showed off 10 of its shiny... More >>
19 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 7:04:00 PM CDT in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The recent heat wave in mid-Missouri has already caused problems with the roads. And now it's causing major... More >>
19 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 6:50:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Some drivers in Missouri could soon be rolling down the road of the future. The Missouri Department... More >>
19 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 6:48:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Residents of Columbia say they are feeling more satisfied than ever when it comes to calling City Hall... More >>
21 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 5:36:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Your next ride with Uber or Lyft will be different than last time. Governor Nixon signed... More >>
22 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 4:32:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Three new troopers have been assigned to Troop F in mid-Missouri, according to Sgt. Scott White of... More >>
22 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 4:11:00 PM CDT in News
TROY (AP) — Authorities say they're searching for an eastern Missouri woman after her husband was found dead from an... More >>
22 hours ago June 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 Friday, June 24 2016 Friday, June 24, 2016 4:00:20 PM CDT in News

Lucas Oil Pro Motocross
2016 U.S. Summer Olympic Trials
NO FAT FRIED FOODS - YES! REALLY!
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer