CMU Football Coach Jody Ford Gets "Tough" Against Cancer

3 years 6 months 1 week ago October 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013 Thursday, October 10 2013 Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:57:00 PM CDT in News
By: Maddy Glab, KOMU8 Sports Reporter

FAYETTE - Central Methodist University head football coach Jody Ford likes to run tough practices. There's a hill near Davis Stadium that Ford makes the team run from time to time. But Ford is also running up a hill of his own.

"He puts us through a lot when it comes to that hill," senior offensive lineman Bo Amos said.

"We have what's called an MT time, a mental toughness time where we just kick their butt for a few minutes and really let them have it," Ford said. "We run them hills all the time, and then as soon as we get finished running hills, they have to come out in two minute drills and they have to be able to think and focus and be able to excel. It's tough, I mean we put them through a lot of things but they're a special group of kids. They don't flinch, they like to smile back at me and say coach keep it coming, keep it coming because we are going to keep it coming. And that's what I love about this team."

"It's like 'is this guy off his rocker, out of his skull?'" red shirt junior linebacker Conner White said.

"We put them through an unbelievable off season. I mean I put these guys through hell, our coaches put them through that," Ford said.

"He really likes to make sure to push us to our limits and get the best out of everyone," junior quarterback Kaleb Borghardt said.

"You can't be a prima donna on our team, we will run you off. You will not be allowed to be here if that's the case, Ford said. "We have tough guys. Like I said, the stuff that we put our kids through, they have to be able to overcome adversity and our kids know that, especially our older kids. And our older kids, if they see a new kid come in who's not willing to deal with adversity, our older kids don't want him here."

Ford is dealing with some adversity himself. He preaches the word to his team almost every day. But it's not everyday that you hear what Ford had to say about his adversity.

"As soon as he gave the news you know it was just absolutely deafening silence you know everybody kind of stood at attention. Everybody was just kind of shocked at the time, but as soon as that happened everybody rallied together," said White.

The Central Methodist Eagles rallied together because they believe their coach can beat the adversity.

"I found out, we were on vacation in Galveston, Texas, and I realized that there was something wrong with me at that time. And just like any tough guy would you think, 'oh it will just go away, don't worry about it, whatever,'" Ford said. "And, all of a sudden a month went by and it hadn't gone away. And so we went to a doctor in Columbia and she referred us to a specialist, and what she thought might be. And the specialist did their surgery and checked me out and realized 'you know you have cancer' and it had gotten into a lymph node, it was rectal cancer."

It's a rare form of rectal cancer for someone who is under the age of 40. In fact about 90 percent of those with this type of cancer are over 50.

"At first I was kind of sad, mad because I couldn't do anything for him," Associate head coach Miguel Paredes said. "It still kind of hurts, the fact that you know I can't do stuff for him. I told him I wish I could trade places with him but you know he tells me 'don't give me any sympathy, treat me the way you would, make him laugh and stuff.' So that's what helps me be inspired, keep going every day."

Coach Paredes will switch places with Ford, on the field. But that is only when Ford is at MD Anderson in Texas receiving radiation and chemotherapy. Ford travels to Texas every week, Monday through Friday for treatment. But he will back every Saturday to coach his team on the sidelines and not in a hospital bed.

"The doctors said 'hey when we do chemo you know you're going to be tired, you're going to be doing this,' and his response to them was 'I'm making it to every game on Saturday,'" Paredes said.

Through adversity Ford said he's able to find a very positive attitude, an attitude that he said will never change, no matter what type of day he's having.

"Every day should be positive because 'yes I have cancer and 'yes I could be gone in a year or whenever,' but 'my goodness I could be gone tomorrow so why take the breath that's going in my lungs right now for granted,'" Ford said.

His coaching staff and players caught on to this contagious attitude.

"I feel sorry for cancer rather than I feel sorry for him," said Paredes.

"If there's anybody that's going to beat it, it's definitely that guy," said White. "I have no doubt that it's something that is just going to be a little speed bump for him."

"It's not going to be victorious that's for sure because he's a hard headed guy when it comes to putting his mind to something," Borghardt said. "He's going to make sure it happens no matter what."

"One thing I have control over is my attitude and my mentality and there's nothing on this planet that is going to break me," Ford said. "Put me in something bad and watch me respond to it."

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — Police have arrested the Kansas man charged with killing the sister of a girl whose... More >>
3 hours ago April 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017 Sunday, April 23 2017 Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:02:51 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Party For A Purpose mixed the socialization of a party with conversation on mental health and suicide prevention.... More >>
15 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:36:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — The Islamic School of Columbia-Missouri invited the community to help them promote international togetherness on Saturday. The school... More >>
15 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:05:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Future veterinary students flocked to MU campus Saturday to learn about what the College of Veterinary Medicine has... More >>
19 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:22:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — A team of veterinary oncologists at the MU Veterinary Health Center is looking for dogs with cancer to... More >>
20 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:35:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Saturday is Earth Day and the City of Columbia has a series of recommendations on how to save... More >>
20 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:32:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Three thousand yellow rubber ducks filled the grounds of Columbia’s Central Missouri Humane Society to raise money... More >>
22 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:30:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY — With House Bill 130 set to become law, Gov. Eric Greitens will smooth potholes to expansion for... More >>
23 hours ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:58:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Hundreds gathered in a downtown Kansas City, Missouri, park on Earth Day in support of calls... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:06:00 PM CDT in News
FULTON — The Ryan's Case for Smiles mid-Missouri chapter got together on Saturday at First Presbyterian Church in Fulton to... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:26:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Community members came together Saturday in honor of Child Abuse and Neglect Awareness Month, to draw attention to... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:33:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — During his first 100 days in office, Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens has trained with firefighters and... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:58:00 AM CDT in News
BOONVILLE — Riders have anticipated the Round-up Showcase Horse Show all year as a chance to present their abilities and... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:39:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — The Columbia Fire Department responded to reports of a structure fire in the 3300 block of Albany Court... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:48:00 AM CDT in News
MARIES COUNTY — The Maries County Sheriff's office has requested that charges be filed against a Cherryville man following a... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:13:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Protesters are planning demonstrations in more than 500 cities worldwide on Saturday to advocate for sound science policy,... More >>
1 day ago April 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017 Saturday, April 22 2017 Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:03:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Hundreds of people gathered in Jesse Auditorium Friday to listen to authors speak at the second annual Unbound... More >>
1 day ago April 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017 Friday, April 21 2017 Friday, April 21, 2017 8:18:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Students, parents and community members filed into the MizzouRec Friday night to participate in Relay for Life of... More >>
1 day ago April 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017 Friday, April 21 2017 Friday, April 21, 2017 8:00:00 PM CDT in News

2017 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
KOMU 8 News @ 5
NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt
The Doors
Dead Again
Stand by Me

Little Big Shots
Chicago Justice
Shades of Blue
Stand by Me
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.