Cole County Hopes to Renew Sales Tax Again
Cole County residents have paid the road and bridge sales tax for 20 years. Supporters estimated the renewal will generate $28 million in the next five years.
"Cars and just about anything you buy at the store would be part of the sales tax," said Larry Brickey, a member of Citizens for Proposition A.
About 85% of the money will pay to build roads and fix low-water crossings. The other 15% will pay for building repairs in the county.
"Sales pays for the roads, which serves the lifeblood of transportation and the economy," added Russ Trippensee, another supporter.
Projects include lengthening Wildwood Drive in Jefferson City to connect with Rock Ridge Road a mile away.
Barbara West, another supporter, said, "I feel that if we can improve our roads and highways, why, we should do that."
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: