Columbia Fire Department says fireworks caused New Year's fire
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Fire Department said Monday the cause of a house fire Jan. 1 was improperly discarded fireworks.
CFD responded the fire at 5621 Abercorn Drive at 12:22 a.m. after multiple 911 callers reported flames coming from the residence. Firefighters arrived at 12:32 a.m. and extinguished the fire in eight minutes.
Fire crews rescued a dog from the home. No injuries were reported.
Assistant Fire Marshall Joel Pauley said the damage estimate was $50,000.
CFD would like to remind residents to test their smoke alarms once a month and change the alarms' batteries once a year.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: