Columbia Second Chance Hosts Holiday Adoption Event
COLUMBIA - Columbia Second Chance had a special visitor at Petco Saturday afternoon as it hosted its holiday themed adoption event. Dogs and cats that are currently in foster homes were able to play with Santa and other pets got to take pictures with Santa as well.
Saturday's event was part of the Columbia Second Chance Sweet Dreams campaign taking place through the month of December.
A few weeks ago, Columbia Second Chance was in desperate need of more foster volunteers. Last week, the number of adopted animals rose to 29 and is now over 40. The facility hopes that number gets into the 60s by the end of the year.
"As long as they've gone to good homes and everybody's had a chance to see who we have, I'm happy," said Valerie Chaffin with Second Chance.
Chaffin also said the number of adoption returns is decreasing. Usually, she said about 80 percent of adoptions are successful while the other 20 percent of animals are returned to the facility. Luckily, the organization is experiencing an upswing this holiday season.
"It's working, we asked and the community is responding. We're grateful," Chaffin said.
The next adoption event will be Sunday afternoon at PetSmart from 2-6 p.m.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: