Cooking Fire Damages Unocuppied Duplex
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Fire Department responded to a cooking fire in an unoccupied duplex Saturday night.
Firefighters could hear the alarm sounding upon arrival at the home. They forced the door open and found heavy smoke.
Investigators found the fire started on the stove due to unattended cooking, and damaged the surrounding walls and cabinets.
Neighbor George Allen, who lives on the other side of the duplex, said his son saw someone run out of the unoccupied side before firefighters arrived.
The duplex is owned by Newton Riley, who said the duplex was recently cleaned and painted. Damages are estimated at $5,000.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: