Eldon star athlete turns adversity into inspiration

11 months 2 weeks 6 days ago Sunday, October 02 2016 Oct 2, 2016 Sunday, October 02, 2016 10:42:00 PM CDT October 02, 2016 in Sports
By: Tyler Murry, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

ELDON — For star wrestler Trenton Dillon, most things come easy.

"He's always been able to pick up new things. I'm not trying to brag on him, but he's a natural athlete, so he picks up on things really quick," Trenton's father Lonnie Dillon said.

Although he is only a sophomore, Dillon is considered one of the best wrestler's in the state at the class three level for his weight class. He went to state last year and also is a star on the track for Eldon.

Tim Otto, Dillon's 8th-grade track coach, said, "He's always been a good wrestler. He's always had a chance to go to state, and was a state qualifier, one of the first state qualifiers in school history."

For Dillon, two sports was not enough as he always dreamed of playing football as well in high school. However, a severely torn hamstring during a track meet in his 8th grade year prevented him from playing his freshman season of football.

"Before the hand off, I'm sitting there pacing back and forth, and it was just bugging me a little bit. I was like ok it's fine. Then I took off and right as soon as I got the baton, I was limping. I felt pops and stuff, and that's when I knew I was going to go down," Trenton Dillon said.

The hamstring injury lingered as the injury affected other areas on his leg. As a result, Dillon also suffered from hip bursitis, which is moderate to sever inflammation in his hip. Dillon said the injury didn't stop him from wrestling his freshman year, but it bothered him often.

"It was frustrating to not be able to do some of the things I knew I could do," Trenton said.

Dillon and his father said not being on the football field tormented him.

"It was very hard, because he would be in the stands upset, because the team wasn't doing well or somebody missed a tackle here. He'd be very verbal up in the stands. It got to the point where I wasn't going to let him come to games any more," Lonnie said.

Dillon elected not to play football his sophomore year either due to pain and worry about the injury jeopardizing his wrestling season as well. However, this season, Dillon made his way to the field on Friday nights.

"My heart was rattling. That was a little nerve wracking," Trenton said with a laugh.

Lonnie said, "Honestly, I had tears in my eyes, because I had waited two years to watch him do that. Then seeing him do the opening kick off for the first game back after a few years, just listening to his name being called on the intercom, I was crying. I was very proud."

Trenton Dillon quickly went from bystander to jack of all trades on the football team as he now starts on both sides of the ball and is the Mustangs' starting kicker and punter.

"You know I always thought I'd be a pretty good tackler. I love that feeling of being able to make a play on the field," Trenton said.

In addition to being Trenton's 8th-grade track coach, Otto also is an assistant coach for the Eldon football team.

"He's always been a kid with wrestling that is always making take downs. Stuff like that they've learned in wrestling has translated to the football. We're seen some of our best tacklers are wrestlers, and he's one of them," Otto said.

Trenton and his teammates have led Eldon to a 4-3 record to start the year as the team wont three-straight after starting 1-3 including a 38-12 win against Versailles on homecoming.

"We've talked as a coaching staff is he's really starting to understand the game to where he's able to line us up. We actually moved him a couple positions on offense, so that we could get him on the field," Otto said.

However, his injury problems aren't completely in the past, but instead they are in his future in a different sort of way. Trenton decided because of his experience he wants to go into physical therapy to help others suffering from similar types of injuries.

Trenton said laughing, "I was in there doing all that stuff, and seeing the facility of the place I was in I just thought it was really cool. I though man I'd like to do that some day."

Otto said, "I think he'll be great at it. He'll be great at whatever, because he's going to work hard at it. That's just who he is."

Although he is only a junior, Trenton Dillon seems to have his life pretty well planned out, and his injury problems won't hold his future back any more.

EVERTON (AP) — Missouri school districts that adopted a four-day school week in recent years are not finding the savings... More >>
59 minutes ago Saturday, September 23 2017 Sep 23, 2017 Saturday, September 23, 2017 2:14:48 PM CDT September 23, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A school district in Kansas City is praising a bus driver for safely getting 34 children... More >>
1 hour ago Saturday, September 23 2017 Sep 23, 2017 Saturday, September 23, 2017 2:10:35 PM CDT September 23, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — An undercover police officer and an Air Force lieutenant were among the 120 people who were... More >>
1 hour ago Saturday, September 23 2017 Sep 23, 2017 Saturday, September 23, 2017 2:07:00 PM CDT September 23, 2017 in News
BOONE COUNTY - The Latter House Kingdom Ministries of Columbia will host their tenth annual Fall Festival today at the... More >>
7 hours ago Saturday, September 23 2017 Sep 23, 2017 Saturday, September 23, 2017 7:59:00 AM CDT September 23, 2017 in News
ELDON - The people of Eldon are rallying around a family whose son suffered a spinal injury during football practice... More >>
19 hours ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 7:31:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – A local gym held a fundraiser Friday night, and all it asked for was five minutes. But... More >>
20 hours ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 7:03:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
BOONE COUNTY - One person is dead and three more are injured after a two vehicle crash on I-70. ... More >>
21 hours ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 5:53:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Planned Parenthood is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to vacate an appeals court order that slowed... More >>
21 hours ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 5:47:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Gov. Eric Greitens will begin his first trade mission Saturday when he and First Lady Sheena... More >>
21 hours ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 5:20:15 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Thirteen-year-old Jackson Morton was diagnosed with cancer in December 2016. "You can't even describe the emotion at... More >>
22 hours ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 4:58:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Jefferson City Public Schools Superintendent Larry Linthacum released a letter addressing the three students who posted a picture... More >>
23 hours ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 4:05:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Orthopaedic Institute is now offering a free sports clinic called Friday Night Lights. Sports physicians... More >>
23 hours ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 3:15:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA (AP) — A county clerk in central Missouri has determined that Attorney General Josh Hawley lawfully voted in a... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 2:59:39 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Twenty-four clinics across the state were selected to receive a federal grant to fund programs that treat... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 2:50:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
HOUSTON, Mo. (AP) — A man and two women are charged in the killing of 17-year-old whose burned remains were... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 1:22:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The UM System hired a large public relations firm to help "craft its message and avoid perception crisis,"... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 1:21:00 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The property owner of a former homeless camp site is suing a southwest Missouri city and a... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 1:17:30 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News
NEW YORK (AP) — Walmart is testing a new service that lets a delivery person walk into your home when... More >>
1 day ago Friday, September 22 2017 Sep 22, 2017 Friday, September 22, 2017 12:35:16 PM CDT September 22, 2017 in News

PGA Tour Golf