Family Raises Awareness about SIDS
October marks Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Awareness month.
Garrett Atnip came into the world one year ago this Thursday. Kim and Alan got a new son, and Nolan got a little brother.
"When Mommy stopped at a stoplight he would cry," said Nolan Atnip, Garrett's brother.
Alan Atnip, Garrett's father said, "We're big Chief's fans around here. We had him in red all the time.
Garrett's mother Kim Atnip explains that it was the best 10 weeks of her life.
On Kim's second day back to work, the Atnips got a call from the babysitter, Garrett wasn't breathing after his nap. Kim and Alan rushed to the hospital.
"I can just remember seeing him there and just hoping he would fight," said Kim.
It was too late for ten week old Garrett.
"It is the hardest thing that I've ever done, and it is the hardest thing I will ever have to do. I was thinking that he would come back," said Kim.
It was a total shock to the Atnips because he was a very healthy two month old.
Doctors say to lower the risk of SIDS place the baby in a crib with a firm mattress. There should be no toys, blankets, pillows and no bumper pads by the baby while they are sleeping. Second thing is avoidance of exposure to tobacco smoke and the third factor is not overheating the baby.
"Often times babies don't have the reflexes to turn while sleeping. SIDS kills when the baby breathes in too much carbon dioxide. It's the silent killer. There's no rhyme or reason," Doctor Robert Harris explained.
Kim Atnip is expecting another baby in December. She plans on buying a heart monitor. If the baby stops breathing, an alarm will sound.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: