Father and son embrace coaching at North Callaway

6 months 1 week 13 hours ago October 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016 Friday, October 21 2016 Friday, October 21, 2016 4:31:00 PM CDT in Sports
By: Mark Kim, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

KINGDOM CITY – North Callaway football players have a nickname for defensive line coach Robert Rosenbaum.

“We called him ‘Rosenpops’ and it just kind of stuck after the first couple days of practice,” senior defensive guard Nick Douglas said.

According to Douglas, the “Rosenpops” nickname isn’t just a nickname out of fun, it’s one out of necessity.

“My youngest son Ross is also on the staff so he’s known as Coach Rosenbaum and I’m known as ‘Coach Rosenpop,’” Robert Rosenbaum said.

Ross serves as North Callaway’s defensive coordinator and coaches with his dad Robert.

North Callaway coach Kevin O’Neal said the similarities between the two are uncanny, especially on the football field.

“Robert has a lot of grit. I definitely see where Ross gets his passion for the game from,” O’Neal said.

Ross Rosenbaum’s passion for football started at a young age. As a kid, Ross would watch his dad play semi-pro football in the "Bullet Ball" semi-pro football league. Ross got his start playing Pop Warner football at the age of four and would play football until college.

But the football playing days didn’t leave as big of an impact on Ross Rosenbaum as his first chance at coaching football.

“When my dad was coaching a youth team when I was in 10th or 11th grade, he actually used to drive me down and I’d help him call the offense. I really got a taste for it then and I decided that coaching might be something I want to do when I get older.” Ross Rosenbaum said.

Ross Rosenbaum would take a job at North Callaway as a math teacher, head wrestling coach and assistant football coach. One season after being hired at North Callaway, Ross Rosenbaum was promoted to defensive coordinator.

As the new defensive coordinator, Ross Rosenbaum adopted his dad’s defensive scheme and brought it to North Callaway.

"I actually ran my dad's defense. It's the defense he had been running for about seven or eight years as a d-coordinator up home. So I was calling him everyday anyways, getting his input, getting his advice," Ross Rosenbaum said.

Eventually, Ross Rosenbaum invited his dad to help run North Callaway’s summer football camp this past summer.

“I was just gonna come for camp. They offered me the position to come and help and I thought about it and I thought ‘you know, I’d rather do that than anything so yeah I’ll come,’” Robert Rosenbaum said.

North Callaway players didn’t notice much of a different once Robert Rosenbaum joined the coaching staff.

“He just likes to hit a lot harder and yell a little louder,” Douglas said.

Robert Rosenbaum even sees the similarities between him and his son.

“When I see him coach a lot, I see myself in him. The tone, the direction, the intensity, etc,” Robert Rosenbaum said.

Having his dad on the sidelines with him is just like old times for Ross Rosenbaum.

“I played for him for so long. I’ve listened to him my whole life. So when I hear his voice, it’s nice to hear him say the right things and I don’t have to worry about the d-line,” Ross Rosenbaum said.

Both Robert and Ross Rosenbaum enjoy having one another on the sidelines.

“It’s been a dream and I’m enjoying it. We’re already talking about figuring out how we’re going to do it next year if it could be that way. We’re going to come back and keep after it,” Robert Rosenbaum said.

COLUMBIA — Stephens College fashion design, marketing, management and communication students hosted the 73rd annual student design fashion show, called... More >>
15 minutes ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:12:51 PM CDT in News
FULTON — The city of Fulton is teaming up with William Woods University Chemistry Professor Joe Kyger to figure out... More >>
19 minutes ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:09:23 PM CDT in News
CALLAWAY COUNTY — First responders rescued three families from their homes in Callaway County Saturday during floods that swept through... More >>
41 minutes ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:47:00 PM CDT in News
FULTON — Emergency officials responded to a crash near the intersection of State Route O and State Route UU just... More >>
3 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 5:23:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Despite non-ideal weather conditions, people gathered at MU Saturday afternoon as a part of a nationwide climate change... More >>
3 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:46:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY — Ever wonder what to do with your unused prescription drugs? The annual 'Drug Take Back Day' helps... More >>
4 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 3:37:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Police officers responded to an armed robbery at Check Into Cash Saturday afternoon. According to a release... More >>
5 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 3:27:00 PM CDT in News
MID-MISSOURI — Flooding caused road closures on Saturday. KOMU 8 News viewers shared photos and videos of what they saw.... More >>
5 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 2:31:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — The Boone County Office of Emergency Management has reported numerous road closures due to flooding Saturday. ... More >>
6 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 1:32:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Gov. Eric Greitens has agreed to pay a penalty to the state Ethics Commission for failing... More >>
9 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:50:00 AM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Gov. Eric Greitens has bought a lakeside house in a resort community west of St. Louis.... More >>
11 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:14:38 AM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The maternal grandmother of a 7-year-old Kansas boy whose remains were found in a pigsty... More >>
11 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:09:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — A free carnival-style event Saturday aims to combine fun with education about childhood safety and accident prevention. The... More >>
12 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:44:00 AM CDT in News
FULTON — Equestrian students at William Woods University have the unique opportunity to learn from a living legend April 28-30.... More >>
14 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 5:53:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — According to a Columbia Police Department press release, officers arrested a suspect wanted by the St. Louis Police... More >>
16 hours ago April 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017 Saturday, April 29 2017 Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:12:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA — Close to 25 environmental activists from mid-Missouri boarded a bus bound for Washington, D.C. Friday afternoon headed to... More >>
1 day ago April 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017 Friday, April 28 2017 Friday, April 28, 2017 7:35:00 PM CDT in Top Stories
COLUMBIA — The Missouri Department of Public Safety is preparing to respond to potential dangerous flooding in the forecast beginning... More >>
1 day ago April 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017 Friday, April 28 2017 Friday, April 28, 2017 7:20:00 PM CDT in Top Stories
JEFFERSON CITY - As prom season begins, the Jefferson City Police Department will start sending out more officers to monitor... More >>
1 day ago April 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017 Friday, April 28 2017 Friday, April 28, 2017 7:01:00 PM CDT in News

2017 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs