Father and son embrace coaching at North Callaway

1 year 6 months 1 day ago Friday, October 21 2016 Oct 21, 2016 Friday, October 21, 2016 4:31:00 PM CDT October 21, 2016 in Sports
By: Mark Kim, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

KINGDOM CITY – North Callaway football players have a nickname for defensive line coach Robert Rosenbaum.

“We called him ‘Rosenpops’ and it just kind of stuck after the first couple days of practice,” senior defensive guard Nick Douglas said.

According to Douglas, the “Rosenpops” nickname isn’t just a nickname out of fun, it’s one out of necessity.

“My youngest son Ross is also on the staff so he’s known as Coach Rosenbaum and I’m known as ‘Coach Rosenpop,’” Robert Rosenbaum said.

Ross serves as North Callaway’s defensive coordinator and coaches with his dad Robert.

North Callaway coach Kevin O’Neal said the similarities between the two are uncanny, especially on the football field.

“Robert has a lot of grit. I definitely see where Ross gets his passion for the game from,” O’Neal said.

Ross Rosenbaum’s passion for football started at a young age. As a kid, Ross would watch his dad play semi-pro football in the "Bullet Ball" semi-pro football league. Ross got his start playing Pop Warner football at the age of four and would play football until college.

But the football playing days didn’t leave as big of an impact on Ross Rosenbaum as his first chance at coaching football.

“When my dad was coaching a youth team when I was in 10th or 11th grade, he actually used to drive me down and I’d help him call the offense. I really got a taste for it then and I decided that coaching might be something I want to do when I get older.” Ross Rosenbaum said.

Ross Rosenbaum would take a job at North Callaway as a math teacher, head wrestling coach and assistant football coach. One season after being hired at North Callaway, Ross Rosenbaum was promoted to defensive coordinator.

As the new defensive coordinator, Ross Rosenbaum adopted his dad’s defensive scheme and brought it to North Callaway.

"I actually ran my dad's defense. It's the defense he had been running for about seven or eight years as a d-coordinator up home. So I was calling him everyday anyways, getting his input, getting his advice," Ross Rosenbaum said.

Eventually, Ross Rosenbaum invited his dad to help run North Callaway’s summer football camp this past summer.

“I was just gonna come for camp. They offered me the position to come and help and I thought about it and I thought ‘you know, I’d rather do that than anything so yeah I’ll come,’” Robert Rosenbaum said.

North Callaway players didn’t notice much of a different once Robert Rosenbaum joined the coaching staff.

“He just likes to hit a lot harder and yell a little louder,” Douglas said.

Robert Rosenbaum even sees the similarities between him and his son.

“When I see him coach a lot, I see myself in him. The tone, the direction, the intensity, etc,” Robert Rosenbaum said.

Having his dad on the sidelines with him is just like old times for Ross Rosenbaum.

“I played for him for so long. I’ve listened to him my whole life. So when I hear his voice, it’s nice to hear him say the right things and I don’t have to worry about the d-line,” Ross Rosenbaum said.

Both Robert and Ross Rosenbaum enjoy having one another on the sidelines.

“It’s been a dream and I’m enjoying it. We’re already talking about figuring out how we’re going to do it next year if it could be that way. We’re going to come back and keep after it,” Robert Rosenbaum said.

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The law firm representing the ex-husband of the woman who had an affair with Missouri... More >>
19 minutes ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 5:45:11 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Democratic Missouri state lawmaker says he won't step down despite facing backlash for repeatedly calling... More >>
43 minutes ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 5:21:20 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - MU staff members spent Monday afternoon discussing how the university could become Columbia's "employer of choice" again with... More >>
59 minutes ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 5:05:00 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Residents moving into the Lynn Street Cottages in Columbia not only obtain four new walls, they also receive... More >>
1 hour ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 4:14:00 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Students at Rock Bridge High School will be attending prom this weekend, and for the first time ever,... More >>
1 hour ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 4:13:00 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in Continuous News
JOPLIN - An EF-5 tornado struck the city of Joplin on May 22, 2011. The next day Jeff Neal, a... More >>
2 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 3:29:00 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
JOPLIN - More businesses, new schools and new homes- one drive through Joplin reveals a clear transformation from devastation to... More >>
3 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 2:20:00 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – Lawmakers in Missouri added a $3 million dollar line to the Attorney General’s budget for sexual assault... More >>
3 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 2:11:00 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The Latest on shooting at Tennessee restaurant that left four dead (all times local):... More >>
4 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 1:22:00 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - When it comes to losing weight, many of us start with looking at our diet. Are we eating... More >>
5 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 12:21:00 PM CDT April 23, 2018 in Weekly Wellness
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Attorneys for Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens say they will seek to disqualify prosecutors in the... More >>
6 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 11:37:40 AM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Only one week old, Molly was outside in the snow and sleet. She was found in a... More >>
6 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 11:14:00 AM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
SEDALIA (AP) — A former volunteer at a small Missouri museum has been charged with stealing thousands of dollars' worth... More >>
7 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 11:04:00 AM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA -Bullets hit a Columbia residence early Sunday morning while five people were inside. It happened just after 4... More >>
8 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 9:59:00 AM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court has turned down an appeal from a man who committed robbery and other... More >>
8 hours ago Monday, April 23 2018 Apr 23, 2018 Monday, April 23, 2018 9:44:25 AM CDT April 23, 2018 in News
MEXICO, Mo. – Approximately one year after President Trump took office, the lives of DACA recipients hang in the balance.... More >>
22 hours ago Sunday, April 22 2018 Apr 22, 2018 Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:35:00 PM CDT April 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The official weather station on MU's Campus at Sanborn Field is “completely destroyed” after a vandalism incident either... More >>
22 hours ago Sunday, April 22 2018 Apr 22, 2018 Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:29:00 PM CDT April 22, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Aldi on Green Meadows Road remains closed Monday after heavy flames billowed right behind store as a fire... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, April 22 2018 Apr 22, 2018 Sunday, April 22, 2018 5:48:00 PM CDT April 22, 2018 in News