Father and son embrace coaching at North Callaway

11 months 3 weeks 5 days ago Friday, October 21 2016 Oct 21, 2016 Friday, October 21, 2016 4:31:00 PM CDT October 21, 2016 in Sports
By: Mark Kim, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

KINGDOM CITY – North Callaway football players have a nickname for defensive line coach Robert Rosenbaum.

“We called him ‘Rosenpops’ and it just kind of stuck after the first couple days of practice,” senior defensive guard Nick Douglas said.

According to Douglas, the “Rosenpops” nickname isn’t just a nickname out of fun, it’s one out of necessity.

“My youngest son Ross is also on the staff so he’s known as Coach Rosenbaum and I’m known as ‘Coach Rosenpop,’” Robert Rosenbaum said.

Ross serves as North Callaway’s defensive coordinator and coaches with his dad Robert.

North Callaway coach Kevin O’Neal said the similarities between the two are uncanny, especially on the football field.

“Robert has a lot of grit. I definitely see where Ross gets his passion for the game from,” O’Neal said.

Ross Rosenbaum’s passion for football started at a young age. As a kid, Ross would watch his dad play semi-pro football in the "Bullet Ball" semi-pro football league. Ross got his start playing Pop Warner football at the age of four and would play football until college.

But the football playing days didn’t leave as big of an impact on Ross Rosenbaum as his first chance at coaching football.

“When my dad was coaching a youth team when I was in 10th or 11th grade, he actually used to drive me down and I’d help him call the offense. I really got a taste for it then and I decided that coaching might be something I want to do when I get older.” Ross Rosenbaum said.

Ross Rosenbaum would take a job at North Callaway as a math teacher, head wrestling coach and assistant football coach. One season after being hired at North Callaway, Ross Rosenbaum was promoted to defensive coordinator.

As the new defensive coordinator, Ross Rosenbaum adopted his dad’s defensive scheme and brought it to North Callaway.

"I actually ran my dad's defense. It's the defense he had been running for about seven or eight years as a d-coordinator up home. So I was calling him everyday anyways, getting his input, getting his advice," Ross Rosenbaum said.

Eventually, Ross Rosenbaum invited his dad to help run North Callaway’s summer football camp this past summer.

“I was just gonna come for camp. They offered me the position to come and help and I thought about it and I thought ‘you know, I’d rather do that than anything so yeah I’ll come,’” Robert Rosenbaum said.

North Callaway players didn’t notice much of a different once Robert Rosenbaum joined the coaching staff.

“He just likes to hit a lot harder and yell a little louder,” Douglas said.

Robert Rosenbaum even sees the similarities between him and his son.

“When I see him coach a lot, I see myself in him. The tone, the direction, the intensity, etc,” Robert Rosenbaum said.

Having his dad on the sidelines with him is just like old times for Ross Rosenbaum.

“I played for him for so long. I’ve listened to him my whole life. So when I hear his voice, it’s nice to hear him say the right things and I don’t have to worry about the d-line,” Ross Rosenbaum said.

Both Robert and Ross Rosenbaum enjoy having one another on the sidelines.

“It’s been a dream and I’m enjoying it. We’re already talking about figuring out how we’re going to do it next year if it could be that way. We’re going to come back and keep after it,” Robert Rosenbaum said.

NAPA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities have identified the firefighter who was killed when the water transport truck he was driving... More >>
8 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:49:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - In a quiet building tucked behind brick facades and looming trees off Vandiver Drive, the 2018 midterm election... More >>
10 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:04:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill says she didn't object to a bill weakening federal authority to stop... More >>
11 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:12:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri's unemployment has dropped slightly. Department of Economic Development data released Tuesday show the unemployment... More >>
11 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:08:32 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – Jefferson City’s transit system could see new changes soon. The city held a JEFFTRAN System-Wide Assessment... More >>
11 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:02:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Walter Rolley Jr. served in the United States Army for three years during World War II, and Tuesday,... More >>
11 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:53:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Two men were arrested Tuesday morning and accused of possession of illegal drugs and firearms at 505 East... More >>
12 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:20:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia man accused of driving his car into Mizzou Arena over the summer was formally charged Tuesday.... More >>
13 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:09:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - New television or cleaning service? New shoes or lawn care? A new study suggests time-saving purchases make people... More >>
13 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:06:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Many staff members at MU say they aren't happy, especially on the issue of pay. According to... More >>
13 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:01:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The former city clerk in Walnut Grove was sentenced to a year and a day in federal... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:09:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
FULTON - Westminster College has announced Dr. Fletcher Lamkin will take over as president later this year. Lamkin previously... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:45:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Council approved street repairs for South Lincoln Street after six months of residents dealing... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:30:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - A local committee dedicated another African American Heritage Trail Marker on Tuesday. The Sharp End Heritage Committee... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:53:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY- C-SPAN arrived in Jefferson City on Tuesday to meet with local and state politicians and middle school students... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:49:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A federal inmate with end-stage renal disease has been spared the death penalty for his fourth murder... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:27:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A Missouri appeals court has thrown out a $72 million award to a woman who claimed... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:19:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
TONGANOXIE, Kan. (AP) — Authorities have arrested a man and found three sisters whose disappearance in August from their Kansas... More >>
20 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:09:00 AM CDT October 17, 2017 in News

6:00a