Fire at famed KC barbecue restaurant deemed accidental
INDEPENDENCE (AP) - Fire officials say a worker cleaning the fire pit at the Gates Bar-B-Q in Independence accidentally started a blaze at the restaurant.
The fire early Tuesday destroyed the restaurant in Independence near the Truman Complex. The worker escaped without injury.
The Kansas City Star reports officials on Wednesday said the worker was cleaning the pits when the fire started and quickly spread into the attic and the roof.
The building is a total loss but no dollar estimate was available.
Owner Ollie Gates said he plans to rebuild at that location. The restaurant was one of six Gates has built in the Kansas City area. It was popular among athletes, fans and team officials before and after Kansas City Chiefs and Royals games.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: