New Year's Day fire damages Columbia home
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire at 5621 Abercorn Drive on Friday at 12:22 a.m. Fire crews rescued a dog from the structure and there were no injuries.
Columbia firefighters arrived at 12:32 a.m. and found flames visible from the outside rear and roof of the residence.
Assistant Fire Marshall Joel Pauley said the damage to the residence is estimated at $50,000.
Officials did not know the cause of the fire.
The Columbia Fire Department would like to remind residents to test their smoke alarms at least once a month by pressing the test button, replace smoke alarm batteries at least once a year and to replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: