Food Bank Still Needs Holiday Donations
The Central Missouri Food Bank says its annual Partnership Against Hunger drive was a success.
"Their goal was to raise $50,000 and we believe that's doable," said Peggy Kirkpatrick, executive director. "They're very close to reaching that now."
But that still isn't enough to keep its pantry, or its clients' stomachs, full.
"We're not nearly at the capacity we would like to be at this time," Kirkpatrick added. "We are now helping to feed over 80,000 per month, and that's a 7% increase over last year."
Missouri's 11.6 percent poverty level is lower than the nation's 12.5 percent, but Boone County's poverty level is 14 percent.
For more information:
- Missouri Division of Family Services Food Stamp Program 882-9180
- Columbia/Boone County Health Department's Women Infants and Children Supplemental Food Program 874-7384
- Principal's Office for School Lunch Program
- Columbia Area Senior Center 874-2050
- Meals on Wheels for home-bound people 886-7554
- Central Missouri Food Bank, 1408 Indiana Ave., 874-7848
- Loaves and Fishes Soup Kitchen,306 Park Ave., 875-0826
- Salvation Army Harbor House 442-1984
- Voluntary Action Center 874-2273