Football Player With Cancer Inspires Community

4 years 4 months 2 weeks ago Friday, December 06 2013 Dec 6, 2013 Friday, December 06, 2013 6:53:00 AM CST December 06, 2013 in News
By: William Joy, KOMU 8 Reporter

FULTON - Corey Bryant is a fan of Superman.

"I'm kind of a nerd about it," Bryant said, laughing.

But the superhero isn't his only interest.  Football comes a close second. In fact, a year ago, Bryant was a starting offensive lineman for Westminster College in Fulton. But for what would have been his final homecoming as a player this year, he was on the sidelines.

At first, Bryant just thought he was hurt, complaining of back soreness. Then, groin pain set in, and when he became very ill and constantly throwing up, he was rushed to Boone Hospital on September 10. The next day, doctors told Bryant he had testicular cancer.

"I was like, 'I'm 22 years old and I have cancer,'" Bryant said.

"It was overwhelming," Eddie Bryant, Corey's father said. "I dropped to my knees."

"My world just fell. I never even thought one of my children would have cancer," Kim Bryant, Bryant's mother said. "I just lost it."

Doctors removed one of Bryant's testicles. Now, instead of waking up for morning football practice, Bryant gets up for chemotherapy.

"You get light-headed and wheezy and lose your appetite," Corey Bryant said.

But this man of steel isn't worried about the pain.

"It's not the treatment that's bad," Corey Bryant said. "It's sitting around and thinking about it. It's my senior year of college, you know, I should be having fun, finishing up school, and I'm not. I'm here. Sitting in my house. Trying to live the next day. And it's tough."

"I tell him Kryptonite brought Superman down, and cancer is yours, but you can beat it," Eddie Bryant said.

"When we were in the hospital, [his doctor] saw his phone and he started saying 'we're going to get you back to Superman,'" Kim Bryant said. "'You're going to be Superman by the time we're done with you.'"

When word of the cancer hit the school, the football star and president of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity chapter at Westminster instantly had help.

"We all say we're family, and Corey is one of our brothers," John Welty, Westminster's head football coach said. "When one of them hurts, we all hurt."

Welty said Westminster's Touchdown Club and Westminster Residence Life decided to design shirts with the help of Corey's brother, Kyle, who also plays football at the school, and sell them to raise money to pay Corey's cancer treatment. The shirts say "BryantStrong" on the back and have a fitting "CB" inside of a Superman logo on the front.

And the shirts were just the beginning of Corey Bryant's support.

"We're getting calls from people we don't even know," Kim Bryant said. "His elementary school doing a fundraiser for him, a superhero day."

"We haven't had to cook hardly or nothing," Eddie Bryant said. "Everybody's helped out a lot, you know, it's overwhelming support. I never thought it'd be like this. I think that's what brought him around and keeps Corey up."

"People say 'Oh, you haven't changed a bit,'" Corey Bryant said. "Well why would I? I'm going to stay positive."

Now, when Corey has time to think, it's not of possible death, but about his future.

"It's something I've got to beat and I'm going to, and how long it takes is how long it takes," Bryant said. "But I'm not going to get down on myself. I'm gonna stay positive, do what the doctors tell me and beat it."

He may not be more powerful than a locomotive or faster than a speeding bullet, but to those who've met him and even some who haven't, Corey Bryant is Superman.

Corey's family has set up a Facebook page here that has updates on his health.

COOPER COUNTY - One person was killed in a crash Thursday afternoon in Cooper County. According to a Facebook... More >>
3 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:53:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - According to a report by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, more than one hit-and-run crash occurs every... More >>
4 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:05:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
OAKLAND - Oakland Middle School hosted its second annual multicultural festival Thursday night. Students from over 30 countries performed and... More >>
4 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:00:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia police are asking for the community's help in locating a runaway teenager last seen on April 26.... More >>
4 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:23:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
HOLTS SUMMIT - Rick Hess, Holts Summit City Administrator, is a registered republican and voted for President Donald Trump. “I... More >>
5 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:00:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
HANNIBAL - The Columbia College Cougars defeated the Hannibal-LaGrange Trojans today in both games of an AMC doubleheader. The Cougars... More >>
5 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:26:47 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in Sports
COLUMBIA - The growing number of school shootings is prompting mid-Missouri educators to take a close look at what they... More >>
5 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:13:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The latest on allegations involving Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens (all times local): 5:20 p.m. ... More >>
6 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:52:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Senators approved a budget bill Wednesday for K-12 public education that comes up $50 million short of... More >>
6 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:42:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Cardinals (15-9) wrapped up their three-game series with the New York Mets (15-8) in... More >>
6 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:41:26 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in Sports
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Missouri now has 10 cases of measles, including three students, according to health officials. The... More >>
6 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:38:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Republican Senate President Pro Tem Ron Richard says he has not yet decided whether to... More >>
6 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:35:58 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Missouri civil engineers graded Missouri roads a D+ in their latest report card. That's down from a... More >>
8 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 3:25:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - A Columbia Public School community service project that has students removing invasive honeysuckle is on hold after $700... More >>
9 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 3:05:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Cole County Circuit Judge Jon Beetam heard arguments from Govenor Eric Greitens and Attorney General Josh Hawley's... More >>
10 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 1:26:00 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — The Missouri Republican Party is seeking to boot four candidates from the primary ballot, including two... More >>
10 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 1:11:55 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) — Bill Cosby has been convicted of drugging and molesting a woman in first big celebrity trial... More >>
11 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 12:57:04 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The Missouri Department of Natural Resources plans to return $575,000 it received for two new state parks... More >>
11 hours ago Thursday, April 26 2018 Apr 26, 2018 Thursday, April 26, 2018 12:25:42 PM CDT April 26, 2018 in News