Football Player With Cancer Inspires Community

3 years 5 months 3 weeks ago December 06, 2013 Dec 6, 2013 Friday, December 06 2013 Friday, December 06, 2013 6:53:00 AM CST in News
By: William Joy, KOMU 8 Reporter

FULTON - Corey Bryant is a fan of Superman.

"I'm kind of a nerd about it," Bryant said, laughing.

But the superhero isn't his only interest.  Football comes a close second. In fact, a year ago, Bryant was a starting offensive lineman for Westminster College in Fulton. But for what would have been his final homecoming as a player this year, he was on the sidelines.

At first, Bryant just thought he was hurt, complaining of back soreness. Then, groin pain set in, and when he became very ill and constantly throwing up, he was rushed to Boone Hospital on September 10. The next day, doctors told Bryant he had testicular cancer.

"I was like, 'I'm 22 years old and I have cancer,'" Bryant said.

"It was overwhelming," Eddie Bryant, Corey's father said. "I dropped to my knees."

"My world just fell. I never even thought one of my children would have cancer," Kim Bryant, Bryant's mother said. "I just lost it."

Doctors removed one of Bryant's testicles. Now, instead of waking up for morning football practice, Bryant gets up for chemotherapy.

"You get light-headed and wheezy and lose your appetite," Corey Bryant said.

But this man of steel isn't worried about the pain.

"It's not the treatment that's bad," Corey Bryant said. "It's sitting around and thinking about it. It's my senior year of college, you know, I should be having fun, finishing up school, and I'm not. I'm here. Sitting in my house. Trying to live the next day. And it's tough."

"I tell him Kryptonite brought Superman down, and cancer is yours, but you can beat it," Eddie Bryant said.

"When we were in the hospital, [his doctor] saw his phone and he started saying 'we're going to get you back to Superman,'" Kim Bryant said. "'You're going to be Superman by the time we're done with you.'"

When word of the cancer hit the school, the football star and president of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity chapter at Westminster instantly had help.

"We all say we're family, and Corey is one of our brothers," John Welty, Westminster's head football coach said. "When one of them hurts, we all hurt."

Welty said Westminster's Touchdown Club and Westminster Residence Life decided to design shirts with the help of Corey's brother, Kyle, who also plays football at the school, and sell them to raise money to pay Corey's cancer treatment. The shirts say "BryantStrong" on the back and have a fitting "CB" inside of a Superman logo on the front.

And the shirts were just the beginning of Corey Bryant's support.

"We're getting calls from people we don't even know," Kim Bryant said. "His elementary school doing a fundraiser for him, a superhero day."

"We haven't had to cook hardly or nothing," Eddie Bryant said. "Everybody's helped out a lot, you know, it's overwhelming support. I never thought it'd be like this. I think that's what brought him around and keeps Corey up."

"People say 'Oh, you haven't changed a bit,'" Corey Bryant said. "Well why would I? I'm going to stay positive."

Now, when Corey has time to think, it's not of possible death, but about his future.

"It's something I've got to beat and I'm going to, and how long it takes is how long it takes," Bryant said. "But I'm not going to get down on myself. I'm gonna stay positive, do what the doctors tell me and beat it."

He may not be more powerful than a locomotive or faster than a speeding bullet, but to those who've met him and even some who haven't, Corey Bryant is Superman.

Corey's family has set up a Facebook page here that has updates on his health.

JEFFERSON CITY – According to updated Missouri State Highway Patrol crash reports , four people died in fatal car crashes... More >>
2 hours ago May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017 Tuesday, May 30 2017 Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:30:00 AM CDT in News
NEW BLOOMFIELD – New Life Evangelical Center hosted a fair that spreads awareness about renewable energy and its connection to... More >>
8 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 7:40:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A fire at a 12-unit apartment complex injured one person and forced upstairs residents to climb down... More >>
9 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 6:51:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Hundreds celebrated the historic aspect of Memorial Day at the Columbia Cemetery Monday. Attendees traveled from grave... More >>
10 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 5:19:00 PM CDT in News
RAYTOWN (AP) — A Jackson County sheriff's deputy shot and killed a suspected shoplifter at a Wal-Mart in a Kansas... More >>
10 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 5:16:00 PM CDT in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — Kansas City police are investigating the death of a man whose body was found near a... More >>
11 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 4:16:52 PM CDT in News
AUXVASSE - A horse trainer is taking her skills as a behavior analyst and applying them to horses. This fundamental... More >>
13 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 2:54:00 PM CDT in News
PORTAGEVILLE (AP) — A new clue has emerged in the killings of a southeast Missouri woman and her daughter nearly... More >>
14 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 2:01:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Many Americans spend Memorial Day taking time to honor those who have served and fallen for this country.... More >>
14 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 1:47:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia hosted the biggest Salute to Veterans Memorial Day Parade in the event's 29 years of history. ... More >>
15 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 12:57:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA- The Columbia Police Department is joining forces with the You Have Options Program to counter sexual assault. The... More >>
20 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 7:26:00 AM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A class-action lawsuit has been filed on behalf of about 80 inmates serving life sentences in... More >>
21 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 6:55:41 AM CDT in News
SEDALIA (AP) — A central Missouri man has been ordered to spend 12 years in prison after pleading guilty to... More >>
21 hours ago May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017 Monday, May 29 2017 Monday, May 29, 2017 6:12:00 AM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – The MU Veterinary Health Center recently added a new section - the Motion Analysis Laboratory - to track... More >>
1 day ago May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017 Sunday, May 28 2017 Sunday, May 28, 2017 9:46:00 PM CDT in News
MORGAN COUNTY - The National Weather Service (NWS) from Springfield, Missouri has conducted a review of damage in extreme southeastern... More >>
1 day ago May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017 Sunday, May 28 2017 Sunday, May 28, 2017 6:09:00 PM CDT in Top Stories
COLUMBIA – Volunteer security guards and local police officers are making sure the 29 th Annual Salute to Veterans Air... More >>
1 day ago May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017 Sunday, May 28 2017 Sunday, May 28, 2017 1:43:00 PM CDT in News
BRANSON, Mo. (AP) — Authorities have recovered two bodies and are searching for a third person after their vehicle was... More >>
1 day ago May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017 Sunday, May 28 2017 Sunday, May 28, 2017 1:38:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Relatives of two of four people killed when a steam-filled tank weighing nearly 2,000 pounds (900... More >>
1 day ago May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017 Sunday, May 28 2017 Sunday, May 28, 2017 1:33:00 PM CDT in News

3:00a