Football Player With Cancer Inspires Community

2 years 8 months 2 weeks ago December 06, 2013 Dec 6, 2013 Friday, December 06 2013 Friday, December 06, 2013 6:53:00 AM CST in News
By: William Joy, KOMU 8 Reporter

FULTON - Corey Bryant is a fan of Superman.

"I'm kind of a nerd about it," Bryant said, laughing.

But the superhero isn't his only interest.  Football comes a close second. In fact, a year ago, Bryant was a starting offensive lineman for Westminster College in Fulton. But for what would have been his final homecoming as a player this year, he was on the sidelines.

At first, Bryant just thought he was hurt, complaining of back soreness. Then, groin pain set in, and when he became very ill and constantly throwing up, he was rushed to Boone Hospital on September 10. The next day, doctors told Bryant he had testicular cancer.

"I was like, 'I'm 22 years old and I have cancer,'" Bryant said.

"It was overwhelming," Eddie Bryant, Corey's father said. "I dropped to my knees."

"My world just fell. I never even thought one of my children would have cancer," Kim Bryant, Bryant's mother said. "I just lost it."

Doctors removed one of Bryant's testicles. Now, instead of waking up for morning football practice, Bryant gets up for chemotherapy.

"You get light-headed and wheezy and lose your appetite," Corey Bryant said.

But this man of steel isn't worried about the pain.

"It's not the treatment that's bad," Corey Bryant said. "It's sitting around and thinking about it. It's my senior year of college, you know, I should be having fun, finishing up school, and I'm not. I'm here. Sitting in my house. Trying to live the next day. And it's tough."

"I tell him Kryptonite brought Superman down, and cancer is yours, but you can beat it," Eddie Bryant said.

"When we were in the hospital, [his doctor] saw his phone and he started saying 'we're going to get you back to Superman,'" Kim Bryant said. "'You're going to be Superman by the time we're done with you.'"

When word of the cancer hit the school, the football star and president of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity chapter at Westminster instantly had help.

"We all say we're family, and Corey is one of our brothers," John Welty, Westminster's head football coach said. "When one of them hurts, we all hurt."

Welty said Westminster's Touchdown Club and Westminster Residence Life decided to design shirts with the help of Corey's brother, Kyle, who also plays football at the school, and sell them to raise money to pay Corey's cancer treatment. The shirts say "BryantStrong" on the back and have a fitting "CB" inside of a Superman logo on the front.

And the shirts were just the beginning of Corey Bryant's support.

"We're getting calls from people we don't even know," Kim Bryant said. "His elementary school doing a fundraiser for him, a superhero day."

"We haven't had to cook hardly or nothing," Eddie Bryant said. "Everybody's helped out a lot, you know, it's overwhelming support. I never thought it'd be like this. I think that's what brought him around and keeps Corey up."

"People say 'Oh, you haven't changed a bit,'" Corey Bryant said. "Well why would I? I'm going to stay positive."

Now, when Corey has time to think, it's not of possible death, but about his future.

"It's something I've got to beat and I'm going to, and how long it takes is how long it takes," Bryant said. "But I'm not going to get down on myself. I'm gonna stay positive, do what the doctors tell me and beat it."

He may not be more powerful than a locomotive or faster than a speeding bullet, but to those who've met him and even some who haven't, Corey Bryant is Superman.

Corey's family has set up a Facebook page here that has updates on his health.

JEFFERSON CITY - The Central Chapter of Empower Missouri and guests gathered to talk about why it is in everybody's... More >>
6 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:50:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Missouri Highway Patrol launched a new technology in an effort to crackdown on more traffic offenders.... More >>
6 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:42:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - A celebrity basketball game was just one part of the first night of the “Back to School Explosion”... More >>
7 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:51:00 PM CDT in News
INDEPENDENCE (AP) — A man who drove 115 mph and used marijuana before a deadly suburban Kansas City crash has... More >>
7 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:30:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - As coaches and players conduct walk-throughs in preparation for Friday night football, many are also checking helmets after... More >>
8 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:33:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY — The results of a Missouri audit released Thursday show ther e's a nearly $600 million backlog of... More >>
9 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:25:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – Many of the advertising signs posted on utility poles or medians in Columbia are illegal. A new volunteer... More >>
9 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:23:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri judge is blocking the state public defender director from appointing Gov. Jay Nixon to... More >>
9 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:28:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Department of Transportation is celebrating the completion of the I-70 bridges project. The $17.5 million... More >>
10 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:19:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Voluntary Action Center still has window units from Columbia Water and Light that can be exchanged for... More >>
10 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:00:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The re-opening of a part of the MKT Trail has been delayed two months. The Flat Branch... More >>
10 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:56:00 PM CDT in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Agribusiness Archer Daniels Midland has settled a lawsuit over claims the company was behind a now-imprisoned... More >>
10 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:53:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A Columbia man was indicted by a federal grand jury Wednesday for an investment fraud scheme. ... More >>
10 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:37:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Convention and Visitors Bureau plans to contribute $1 million toward a new indoor sports facility in... More >>
11 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:33:00 PM CDT in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Top military officials ga thered at the Missouri Capitol to mark the retirement of a Missouri... More >>
11 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:31:56 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - A car collision caused an SUV to flip onto its side on College Avenue Thursday. A truck... More >>
12 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:16:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri School of Journalism announced a new diversity program Thursday. The plan is called the "Student... More >>
13 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:25:00 PM CDT in News
COLUMBIA – A spike in traffic deaths is correlated to low gas prices nationwide and especially in Missouri, according to... More >>
13 hours ago August 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016 Thursday, August 25 2016 Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:49:00 PM CDT in News

3:07a