Former NFL Players open business in Columbia

2 months 3 weeks 5 days ago Saturday, May 27 2017 May 27, 2017 Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:06:00 PM CDT May 27, 2017 in Sports
By: Jasmyn Willis, KOMU 8 News Reporter

COLUMBIA - A new business pushes its clients to their limit and has them sweating bullets.

Two former NFL players and Mizzou football players Jerrell Jackson and Micheal Egnew opened Athletics Performance Institute last week.

The gym is an addition to the All-Star Performance Institute. API has cheer and tumbling, sports performance training, adult training and boot camps.

Clients worked out at API's second boot camp Saturday in their new location. API has individual and group sessions.

Jackson said when he played in the NFL he learned importance physical training.

“I was blessed to be able to get a full scholarship at Mizzou,” Jackson said. “Once I graduated, I made it to the NFL, played three years in the NFL and I understood that as an athlete your body was your biggest investment. Which means you really have to put your body through some stress in order for you to reach those goals.”

Jackson said he focuses on providing his clients with the tools, and motivation to stay committed.

“Being in this position and knowing I’m inspiring others, motivating others, man it’s just like an ultimate goal of mine," Jackson said. "I just feel blessed.”

Jackson said he grew up in a poor neighborhood and he continues to push himself because others look up to him.

“I’m still pushing to be great,” Jackson said. “People in my neighborhood see that. They always hit me up, they always contact me and say 'bro we so proud of you man. Keep it up you inspiring everybody to be great.' And that’s what it means as a minority that the same kid that grew up in that neighborhood made it out.”

Jackson said he’s blessed, but anyone can accomplish their goal with hard work and staying committed.

“Just inspiring people in my similar situation,” Jackson said. “And letting people know that it don’t matter who you are, where you started, who your family is, if you started with a million dollars or what you know. You can make it, you just have to work hard and be persistent.”

Jackson said he trains a wide variety of clients.

“Right now I have a kid that’s 12-years-old and I have a lady that’s 57-years-old,” Jackson said “It’s so broad. It’s men, women, short, tall, young, old.”

API client, Catherine Miller said API is for everyone regardless of where you are in your fitness journey.

“It didn’t matter what size, shape, where you were in your journey,” Miller said. “If you’ve never exercised, if your just coming back. Everyone wants to see you succeed. And that’s like the best atmosphere to be in.”

Miller said she rearranges her schedule to make it to workout classes.

“I hate missing class,” Miller said. “Like I hate missing class and if I know I have a meeting for work that I have to go to so I’m like hey can I trade classes and like come in the morning which is tough for me. It’s like a 5:30 class, and I’m not even a morning person but I’m willing to get up and come at 5:30 in the morning because I don’t want to miss those workouts.”

Miller said seeing her transformation has been worthwhile and caused her to invite her friends.

“You want to have your friends who have been struggling, like 'hey why don’t you come with me? Like I know a place that you can become success at.' So I’m all about telling my friends, bringing folks here because I wanted them to be successful like I’ve been.”

Client Kelly Holtkamp has been working out with Jackson since last fall. Holtkamp said she's seen major changes and encourages others to join.

“I’ve lost 6 inches in my stomach which is critical,” Holtkamp said.  “And just give it a try, I’ve been going to gyms and working out all my life and I’ve never experienced the enthusiasm and the support as genuinely as this.”

Another client Victoria Thompson said working with supportive people, like Jackson and the API staff, has made the difference.

“He just cares about you and your progress so much that you don’t have any other option but to be great," Thompson said.

Jackson said opening a business would not have been possible without the support of his co-owner Micheal Egnew, All-Star Performance Institute owner Melissa Wilhite and head trainer Jordan Brewer.

COLUMBIA – School is back in session for Columbia students, but some school districts across the country are struggling with... More >>
50 minutes ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 4:57:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Boone County Commission issued abatements for three Boone County properties Tuesday. One property is located on... More >>
1 hour ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:55:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - As part of Columbia City Manager Mike Matthes’ proposed budget for the upcoming fiscal year, paratransit rides will... More >>
2 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:43:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - U.S. Representative Vicky Hartzler visited the Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital Tuesday to talk to local veterans.... More >>
2 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:13:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri lawmaker who temporarily posted a social media remark hoping for President Donald Trump's assassination... More >>
3 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:26:00 PM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
THEODOSIA (AP) — The Latest on a girl whose burned remains were found in rural Missouri (all times local): ... More >>
7 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:08:00 AM CDT August 22, 2017 in Continuous News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Latest on Missouri's planned execution of inmate Marcellus Williams (all times local): 3:15 p.m.... More >>
11 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:30:00 AM CDT August 22, 2017 in Top Stories
COLUMBIA — Thousands of people traveled to Columbia and the surrounding cities to view a once in a lifetime event,... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, August 22 2017 Aug 22, 2017 Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:28:00 AM CDT August 22, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council met Monday to get rid of a proposal for a contracted event designed to... More >>
19 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 10:04:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The general public listened to the proposed 2018 Jefferson City Fiscal Budget for the first time at... More >>
21 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 7:56:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Construction workers are wrapping up the building expansion on the Columbia Boys and Girls Club. The Boys... More >>
22 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 7:04:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
FULTON - A car theft in Fulton led to a wreck that left three hospitalized Monday afternoon. According to... More >>
COLUMBIA - Columbia’s city council held its first of three public hearings for the fiscal year 2018 Annual Budget Monday... More >>
23 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 6:08:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – Jefferson City eclipse events officially ended Monday evening and, according to Jefferson City Convention and Visitors Bureau... More >>
23 hours ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 5:53:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Gasps and cheers went up from crowds from around the world gathered across mid-Missouri for the total solar... More >>
1 day ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:44:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The total solar eclipse lasted for only a few short minutes, but the anticipation of the rare... More >>
1 day ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:39:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
BOONVILLE – Eclipse viewers gathered at the Boonville Airport to watch the total solar eclipse in a point of 100... More >>
1 day ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:28:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The University of Missouri began classes Monday with the second highest retention rate in the university's history, according... More >>
1 day ago Monday, August 21 2017 Aug 21, 2017 Monday, August 21, 2017 3:27:00 PM CDT August 21, 2017 in News

NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt