Gas Leak Causes Commotion Downtown
COLUMBIA - A gas leak near the post office and new parking garage caused part of Downtown to be blocked off on Wednesday. The Columbia Fire Department rushed over about 3:30 Wednesday afternoon. Construction crews were working on the new parking garage and cut a one inch gas line. The Fire Department tested nearby buildings and found no gas inside any of them.
The Fire Department says that no one downtown was in any real danger.
"The gas has been shut off," explained Eric Hartman, Columbia Firefighter. "We didn't have any hazardous readings inside any buildings. All the gas was contained to the outside. The closing of the streets immediately surrounding the incident was purely a precaution."
Walnut Street directly in front of the post office will remain closed until Ameren finishes repairing the gas line.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: