Gas odor causes Jefferson City school evacuation
JEFFERSON CITY - Jefferson City students returned to class Monday morning after a gas leak forced an evacuation at their school.
The Jefferson City Fire Department responded to a call of a strong gas odor inside Trinity Lutheran School at 7:15 a.m. Children and staff were evacuated to a safe location.
Parents said they received news of the evacuation in a phone call from the principal.
Firefighters entered the building and determined the smell was coming from the school's kitchen, where a stove had been on with no pilot light visible. Staff turned the stove off before emergency responders arrived.
Firefighters started a ventilation process to force fresh air into the building and determined it was safe for students and staff to return.
No injuries were reported as a result of the gas leak. Firefighters cleared the scene at 8:15 a.m.
Students and staff returned to school at 9:00 a.m., one hour later than normal.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: