News

Grill Starts Columbia Fire

Posted: Feb 18, 2013 4:25 AM by KOMU 8 Staff
Updated: Feb 18, 2013 6:44 AM

Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

COLUMBIA - The Columbia Fire Department responded to a residential fire around 11 p.m. Sunday night.

According to a press release from the Columbia Fire Department, firefighters were dispatched to Brown Station Road near the intersection at Elm Grove Drive where they found a fire involving the deck and an exterior wall at the rear of an unoccupied home.

The release said firefighters quickly put out the fire and an investigator determined the fire started in the deck under the grill. The investigator said the grill had been used earlier in the evening and residents had been burning charcoal briquettes in a gas grill and the hot ash had escaped from the bottom of the grill.

The damage is estimated at $5,000 and the department reported no injuries.

KOMU First Alert Weather

Most Popular