Hannibal Homeowners on Hook for Surge Damage
HANNIBAL (AP) - Some Hannibal homeowners are on the hook for personal property damage caused by an unexpected electrical surge.
The Hannibal Courier-Post reports that the July 24 incident affected six downtown homes. The Hannibal Board of Public Works says it regrets the equipment malfunction but isn't responsible for the incurred losses after its insurer rejected claims filed by the company on the residents' behalf.
The company says the failure of a pole-mounted transformer led to increased voltage at secondary sources. Some residents reported thousands of dollars in losses, including refrigerators, ovens and other kitchen appliances.
One resident reported a glowing red toaster. The surge caused a small fire at an exterior utility box.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: