Hickman Football plays first home game without Arnel Monroe

3 months 1 week 3 days ago August 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016 Monday, August 29 2016 Monday, August 29, 2016 6:46:00 PM CDT in Sports
By: Tyler Murry, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter
Embed Code Copied

COLUMBIA - The sights and sounds of high school football are all back for the Hickman Kewpies, but one thing is missing.

Friday marked the first game the Kewpies have played on home turf since the passing of previous Head Coach Arnel Monroe.

After hearing the news, Hickman Wide Receiver Shawndarrius Roland said, "The low point for me was it was probably a two-week period where I couldn't sleep at night. I couldn't sleep at night. I found myself just thinking what is this season going to be like without him. It's not going to be the same."

Linebacker Airin Rolley also said the summer after hearing what happened was not easy.

"I mean I would go on walks and wouldn't talk to anyone, because it would hurt me, and I didn't know how to take it," Rolley said.

Monroe suffered a heart attack on June 5th and died at the age of 49.

Roland said, "I'm going to miss his jokes, his comments everything he said."

Hickman Running Back Cameron Chick said, "He's like a father to me. I mean ever since I stepped on the field at Hickman grounds he's been like a dad to me."

Chick's father coaches baseball as well, so Chick says he and Monroe knew each other long before high school thanks to both families sharing a love for sports.

"He always wanted to know what was going on in my life. This year I ended up committing to play baseball. He was a big father figure in that. I'm going to Nebraska, and he wanted to know the weekend that he died how it all went. I wasn't able to tell him," Chick said.

Monroe played football for four years at Hickman before attending Central Missouri. He began coaching as an assistant at Hickman in 1995 before being named defensive coordinator in 2006. The role came full circle when Monroe became the head coach for Hickman in the spring of 2011.

In Monroe's second season as head coach, he led the Kewpies to a 9-2 season while finishing 18-33 in five years at the helm.

"I was in Kansas City playing baseball at the time. I didn't get the phone call. My parents did. It was right after a game we won, and I was all happy about winning. Then I walked over and saw my parents, and they were crying, and I was confused, because I didn't know what happened. When he broke the news to me, I immediately broke down and started crying. I didn't know what to do, because I didn't know if it was real or not," Chick said.

The tragedy became reality as the team took the field Friday night on August 26.

Fans remembered Monroe with shirts reading, "Once a Kewpie Always a Kewpie." Before the game, the public address announcer read words honoring Monroe, and there was a moment of silence.

Airin Rolley's mother, Michelle Rolley, said she had a special connection to Monroe and felt pride hearing the words for Monroe.

"It means a lot to us that knew him on a personal level, a professional level. It means a lot to his family. His daughters have really appreciated all the support," Michelle said.

Michelle Rolley had another son who played for Monroe and said her sons wouldn't be who they are without him.

"My sons have known him all their lives. He was actually a friend of mine for over 23 years and a friend of my ex-husband's as well. So, they've grown up around him. They got the chance to play for him, fortunately, while he was still here. My youngest son and Arnel had a very close relationship, and it's been hard to come back from that," Michelle said.

The Kewpies kept the game close early only trailing 8-0 after the first quarter, but Webster Groves proved to be too much running away with it 40-6.

First-year head coach Devin Brown said they didn't get the result they wanted, but he's proud of his kids.

"The kids kept it inside, so they don't get emotional about it, because we've got to come out and play a football game. They didn't let up, so we've got to play football," Brown said.

Brown said he has big shoes to fill in order to live up to Monroe's legacy.

The players left the field dejected and some with tears on their faces.

Chick said, "I just feel like we let him down I guess, because he wouldn't want us to go out like that."

Despite the loss, Chick and other members of the team say it'll be special when they finally get their first win for Monroe.

JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri's outgoing Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon is giving clemency to 15 people convicted of drug-related crimes... More >>
4 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 8:50:05 PM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A former director of Missouri's unemployment benefits agency has agreed to a $2 million settlement to... More >>
4 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 8:36:46 PM CST in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A woman assaulted as a girl during a 1982 attack that killed her mother wants... More >>
4 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 8:27:25 PM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Auditor Nicole Galloway said she's reviewing state legal payments following reports of harassment and employee... More >>
4 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 8:16:29 PM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon will work as a private attorney at a suburban St. Louis law... More >>
4 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 7:58:34 PM CST in News
SIKESTON (AP) — Police are investigating the shooting death of a high school student in southeast Missouri. KFVS-TV reports... More >>
5 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 7:52:30 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA - In an effort to increase access to healthy food choices, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced new standards... More >>
5 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 7:01:00 PM CST in News
BOONE COUNTY - A fire forced a family to evacuate its Boone County home Friday afternoon. Firefighters responded to... More >>
7 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 5:17:00 PM CST in News
CALLAWAY COUNTY - Prosecutors charged a Holts Summit man with multiple felonies Friday in connection to a domestic dispute. ... More >>
8 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 4:52:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA - Many students worry their peers won't pay appropriately for a sexual misconduct offense. A bill being introduced to... More >>
9 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 3:25:00 PM CST in Top Stories
COLUMBIA - Gov. Jay Nixon announced recently visitors to the state and tourism spending are at an all-time high for... More >>
10 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 2:35:00 PM CST in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Two men suffered serious injuries in a head-on crash on Highway 50 Friday morning, the Jefferson City... More >>
10 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 2:26:00 PM CST in News
COLUMBIA – The University of Missouri System came out with a report Thursday that shows how much the system saves... More >>
11 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 1:56:00 PM CST in News
CAPE GIRARDEAU (AP) — Three juveniles have been arrested in connection with a threat to a southeast Missouri high school.... More >>
11 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 1:32:20 PM CST in News
12 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 12:28:38 PM CST in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A jury has convicted a man of shooting two police officers during a 2015 protest in... More >>
12 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 12:22:20 PM CST in News
SEDALIA - The Sedalia Police Department said Friday it is looking for two suspects following a shooting and armed robbery.... More >>
13 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 11:31:00 AM CST in News
FULTON - A Tebbetts man has been charged with several felonies following his arrest Wednesday night. Callaway County deputies... More >>
16 hours ago December 09, 2016 Dec 9, 2016 Friday, December 09 2016 Friday, December 09, 2016 8:42:00 AM CST in News

12:37a