Infant Formula Pulled from Walmart Shelves
COLUMBIA - Walmart confirmed Thursday it has pulled a newborn formula powder off the shelf in mid-Missouri and across the nation after the death of an eight-day-old Missouri boy. The formula was pulled from over 3,000 stores and 49 states nationwide. The shelves of this specific formula were empty in Columbia Walmarts Thursday.
The 12.5 ounce cans of Enfamil Infant with lot number ZP1K7G are being held because of a possible connection to the newborn's death.
"We are not saying the product is unsafe, we just know there is a pending investigation," Walmart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said.
Gee wanted to clarify this is not a recall of the product and that the store could start selling the infant formula again depending on the outcome of the investigation.
The newborn, Avery Cornett, was hospitalized six days after being born with a rare, invasive bacterial infection. Two days later, he was taken off life support and died.
The director of Missouri Department of Health, Margaret Donnelly said in a written statement "For clarification, the powdered formula being tested for the bacteria is not a WIC (USDA Womens, Infants, Childrens)-approved formula".
Mead Johnson, maker of the infant formula, released a statement Wednesday. "We are aware of the recent infant death in Lebanon, Missouri, and our hearts go out to the child's family for their tragic loss," wrote Christopher Perille, vice president of Mead Johnson Corporate Communications.
The FDA and CDC are currently investigating the potential connection.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: