Jess' story: Student who was "drowning" in depression shares recovery story

3 weeks 2 days 7 hours ago Monday, September 25 2017 Sep 25, 2017 Monday, September 25, 2017 11:31:00 AM CDT September 25, 2017 in News
By: Daytona Everett, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA – Jess Soehlke is like many college students: involved on campus, surrounded by friends, active in Greek life.

But earlier this year was another story. Beneath the surface, she was "drowning" in mental health issues.

“For most of my life, I’ve actually struggled with anxiety and depression,” she said. “But I never really got any help for it or anything like that until I was in high school.”

Professional therapy helped her for a little while, she said, until she went to college.

“This past year I kind of took a downfall a little bit with anxiety and depression,” Soehlke said about her junior year. “It became a lot for me to handle.”

She was having panic attacks four to five times a week making it impossible to lead a normal life, she said.

“I was very much against myself as a person,” she said.

Thoughts like “you’re worthless” and “nobody wants you here” and “you would be better off if you were dead” constantly ran through her head, she said.

“On July 25th, actually, I ended up self-harming myself and cutting myself and also had the intention of wanting to take my own life,” she said.

That day she was admitted to the MU Psychiatric Center. Two anxiety-filled days dragged by.

“I was alone and kind of had to do a lot of thinking on my own and there was a lot of crying,” she said. “I felt like there was no way out and it was scary, but I did, moving on from there, realize this isn’t for me.”

After some rough realizations and a new motivation for life, Soehlke decided to spend her final year of college back at the University of Missouri.

“I take it day by day,” she said about her mental state. “It’s still very hard to process that I was at a point where I didn’t want to be on this planet anymore.”

Parker Donovan shares an apartment with Soehlke and said the situation was hard for everyone.

"She's my friend and everything. I love her. She's my roommate," he said. "But it's something she also sees me struggle with everyday. So it's kind of a two way street.

The two help each other fight the hardships of mental illness.

Soehlke is now a member at the Counseling Center Advisory Board at the University of Missouri to help other people who suffer from anxiety and depression.

“The more I share, the better I feel,” she said.

Through public speaking, a blog, and her new position at the center, Soehlke found a new purpose.

A tattoo on her left wrist reads “Courage over fear.” It covers the place where she self-harmed.

This year, Soehlke uses her past experiences as leverage to "swim to the surface" in her battle.

“Essentially that’s everyday,” she said. “That’s what I’m trying to do is come up from under the water.”

The MU Counseling Center recently hosted its 6th Annual Take Action Carnival where Soehlke participated in the dunk tank. Her friends and roommates showed up to show support and dunk her several times.

The MU Counseling Center website has information on coping with mental illness. Anyone struggling with thoughts of suicide can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

COLUMBIA - After an active threat on MU’s campus, some are disappointed with the MU Alert system and question its... More >>
26 minutes ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:51:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Downtown Leadership Council met Tuesday to decide how to spend fees paid by developers to compensate businesses... More >>
1 hour ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 5:33:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — An Arkansas man who made bomb threats to a county courthouse in Missouri so his court hearing... More >>
2 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:31:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
MOBERLY - Police arrested a man Tuesday on suspicion of more than a dozen crimes, including rape, statutory rape, sodomy,... More >>
3 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:31:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Six years after being one of the first 16 schools to incorporate the Coulter Awards, MU has become... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:14:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A judge has fined a central Missouri prosecutor more than $12,000 for failing to provide records... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:52:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – Rep. Vicky Hartzler, (R)-Missouri, presented a new piece of legislation she says is aimed at getting more people... More >>
4 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:24:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — A new report sheds light physical confrontations between a Missouri hospital's staff and patients that put the... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:13:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
MOUNTAIN VIEW (AP) — Authorities have confirmed that remains found in March in southern Missouri are a woman who has... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:08:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA- The MU community made its voice heard Wednesday, laying out the characteristics, qualities and experiences it's looking for in... More >>
5 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:20:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
BOONE COUNTY -As the U.S. House starts working on the 2018 Farm Bill, mid-Missouri's congressional representative talked with agricultural producers... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:16:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - VALOR pulled into the parking lot at Welcome Home on Wednesday, ready to fill the organization's need for... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:06:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Police have found the person connected to the alert at MU, and have taken that person into custody.... More >>
7 hours ago Wednesday, October 18 2017 Oct 18, 2017 Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:02:00 PM CDT October 18, 2017 in News
NAPA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities have identified the firefighter who was killed when the water transport truck he was driving... More >>
21 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:49:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - In a quiet building tucked behind brick facades and looming trees off Vandiver Drive, the 2018 midterm election... More >>
23 hours ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:04:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill says she didn't object to a bill weakening federal authority to stop... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:12:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – The Community Land Trust Organization Board is set to meet Wednesday to discuss further developments on the Lynn... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:11:00 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri's unemployment has dropped slightly. Department of Economic Development data released Tuesday show the unemployment... More >>
1 day ago Tuesday, October 17 2017 Oct 17, 2017 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:08:32 PM CDT October 17, 2017 in News

The Blacklist