Jess' story: Student who was "drowning" in depression shares recovery story

2 months 2 weeks 6 days ago Monday, September 25 2017 Sep 25, 2017 Monday, September 25, 2017 11:31:00 AM CDT September 25, 2017 in News
By: Daytona Everett, KOMU 8 Reporter

COLUMBIA – Jess Soehlke is like many college students: involved on campus, surrounded by friends, active in Greek life.

But earlier this year was another story. Beneath the surface, she was "drowning" in mental health issues.

“For most of my life, I’ve actually struggled with anxiety and depression,” she said. “But I never really got any help for it or anything like that until I was in high school.”

Professional therapy helped her for a little while, she said, until she went to college.

“This past year I kind of took a downfall a little bit with anxiety and depression,” Soehlke said about her junior year. “It became a lot for me to handle.”

She was having panic attacks four to five times a week making it impossible to lead a normal life, she said.

“I was very much against myself as a person,” she said.

Thoughts like “you’re worthless” and “nobody wants you here” and “you would be better off if you were dead” constantly ran through her head, she said.

“On July 25th, actually, I ended up self-harming myself and cutting myself and also had the intention of wanting to take my own life,” she said.

That day she was admitted to the MU Psychiatric Center. Two anxiety-filled days dragged by.

“I was alone and kind of had to do a lot of thinking on my own and there was a lot of crying,” she said. “I felt like there was no way out and it was scary, but I did, moving on from there, realize this isn’t for me.”

After some rough realizations and a new motivation for life, Soehlke decided to spend her final year of college back at the University of Missouri.

“I take it day by day,” she said about her mental state. “It’s still very hard to process that I was at a point where I didn’t want to be on this planet anymore.”

Parker Donovan shares an apartment with Soehlke and said the situation was hard for everyone.

"She's my friend and everything. I love her. She's my roommate," he said. "But it's something she also sees me struggle with everyday. So it's kind of a two way street.

The two help each other fight the hardships of mental illness.

Soehlke is now a member at the Counseling Center Advisory Board at the University of Missouri to help other people who suffer from anxiety and depression.

“The more I share, the better I feel,” she said.

Through public speaking, a blog, and her new position at the center, Soehlke found a new purpose.

A tattoo on her left wrist reads “Courage over fear.” It covers the place where she self-harmed.

This year, Soehlke uses her past experiences as leverage to "swim to the surface" in her battle.

“Essentially that’s everyday,” she said. “That’s what I’m trying to do is come up from under the water.”

The MU Counseling Center recently hosted its 6th Annual Take Action Carnival where Soehlke participated in the dunk tank. Her friends and roommates showed up to show support and dunk her several times.

The MU Counseling Center website has information on coping with mental illness. Anyone struggling with thoughts of suicide can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

COLUMBIA - The Missouri State Highway Patrol has confirmed it has fired Trooper Anthony Piercy. KOMU 8 spoke to... More >>
1 hour ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 8:42:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - St. Louis officers arrested a suspect that was on the run in a duplex on Sears Court in... More >>
1 hour ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 8:29:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The application for the top education position in the state, Missouri State Education Board Commissioner, opened Friday leaving... More >>
1 hour ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 8:02:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
BLUE SPRINGS (AP) — A commercial real estate records company based in suburban Kansas City has abruptly shut down, leaving... More >>
2 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 7:42:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Fire Department say a house fire that killed a cat Friday afternoon started in the kitchen.... More >>
2 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 7:29:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - For the past six years Ryan Shultz, the creator/owner of the Candy Cane Crib, has shared a well-lit... More >>
2 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 7:17:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said around half of adults in the U.S. struggle with understanding... More >>
3 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 6:00:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in Continuous News
OLATHE, Kan. (AP) — A Blue Springs, Missouri, man has pleaded guilty to kidnapping and raping a sheriff's deputy... More >>
5 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 4:51:08 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Ten people are facing federal indictment in a $5.4 million methamphetamine distribution conspiracy. ... More >>
5 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 4:07:15 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Several new businesses will open in Columbia at the start of the new year. Wheely's Cafe, a... More >>
6 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 3:49:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in Continuous News
INDEPENDENCE - Police have now cancelled an endangered silver advisory for a 73-year-old woman with dementia who might have been... More >>
6 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 3:43:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY – The Jefferson City Public School Boundaries Committee began discussions on boundary lines for the city’s new high... More >>
6 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 3:29:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
HOLTS SUMMIT - Holts Summit's board of aldermen met Thursday night to discuss creating a city-owned shelter. Currently, the... More >>
6 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 3:07:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
SEDALIA (AP) — The former administrator of an ambulance service in central Missouri has pleaded guilty to embezzling more... More >>
7 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 2:52:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Police said a 42-year-old woman went missing Friday morning and was considered at risk because of medical conditions.... More >>
7 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 2:11:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Some HIV-positive patients in nearly half the counties in Missouri will lose health insurance coverage next... More >>
8 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 1:02:12 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A 37-year-old man is charged in the shooting of two suburban St. Louis police officers who... More >>
9 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 12:28:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News
MONTGOMERY CITY - The Montgomery County Coroner's office is investigating how a person died after a house fire Thursday afternoon... More >>
9 hours ago Friday, December 15 2017 Dec 15, 2017 Friday, December 15, 2017 12:15:00 PM CST December 15, 2017 in News

Dateline NBC