John Brunner announces team for pending campaign
JEFFERSON CITY - A St. Louis business man and former Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate announced a team Tuesday for his upcoming campaign for Missouri governor.
John Brunner, the former CEO of Vi-Jon, announced the formation of a team Tuesday. Mike Hafner, the team's Communications Director, said an official campaign announcement would occur late in 2015. Brunner ran for Clarie McCaskill's Senate seat in 2012, but was defeated in the primary by Congressman Todd Akin.
While running for the Senate, Brunner decried what is now the Affordable Care Act and called for smaller expenditure.
Tuesday, Brunner said, "Throughout Missouri I hear from fellow citizens who are fed up with politicians who can't get anything done. Missourians are looking for a tested and proven leader."
Brunner is a third-generation leader of Vi-Jon, a private-label personal care products manufacturing company. His grandparents founded the company in 1908. It is best known for manufacturing Germ-X.
Brunner served in the Marine Corps after graduating from college. According to his website, his military experience includes joint operations with NATO allies and several deployments.
"The message I hear throughout the state is resoundingly clear: Missourians are tired of excuses coming from eight years of failed leadership - and they want a candidate who can beat Chris Koster," Brunner said.
Brunner announced a lengthy list of campaign team members:
Management and Strategy Team:
• Chief of Staff Paul Holzer
• Senior Advisor Beth Myers: Former Chief of Staff to Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, served in leadership roles to Romney for President
• David Barklage
• Political Director Robert Knodell: Knodell has led or advised over 200 campaigns in the State of Missouri
• John Thompson
Finance and Compliance Team:
• Senior Finance Advisor Magan Munson
• Finance and Political Advisor Tom Carter: A 30-year veteran of Missouri political campaigns having worked with Senator Roy Blunt for 26 years
• Finance Consultant Katie McGurk
• Williams-Keepers LLC: Williams-Keepers serves as the Brunner campaign finance compliance staff
• The Bespoke Group: Provides legal counsel to Missourians for John Brunner
Communications Advisory Team:
• Communications Director Mike Hafner
• Digital Strategy - Rob Willington
• Steve Allen
[Editor's note: This story has been updated to correct Burnner's announcement of a campaign to his announcement of a campaign team. The headline has been changed to reflect the change as well.]
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: