News

Joplin Woman Dies when Oxygen Device Catches Fire

Posted: May 10, 2013 3:22 PM by Associated Press

Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

JOPLIN - Authorities in Joplin say a 75-year-old woman was killed when her oxygen device caught fire while she was smoking.

The Joplin Globe reports firefighters responded shortly after 11 p.m. Thursday to a report of a fire at a duplex.

Fire Chief Mitch Randles says Delores Anderson was found in a garage and pronounced dead at the scene.

Randles said Anderson had been smoking while wearing a nasal device that provided oxygen from a tank. He said the device ignited, causing a flash fire that burned the victim's clothing, her glider-rocker and a wall of the garage.

KOMU First Alert Weather

Most Popular