Kansas City Diocese apologizes to victims
KANSAS CITY (AP) - The Catholic Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph apologized to victims of priest sexual abuse and invited them to a series of prayer services.
The Kansas City Star reported that the diocese sent letters last week from Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann to dozens of plaintiffs in sexual abuse lawsuits that resulted in multimillion-dollar settlements in 2008 and 2014.
The letter also informed the victims of a series of prayer services, which began Wednesday.
Some victims and advocates said the moves are inadequate.
Kansas City lawyer Rebecca Randles represented dozens of plaintiffs in lawsuits alleging priest sexual abuse. She said some of her clients see the apology and services as a breakthrough, but others are more cynical and want the church to ensure the safety of children.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: