Kitchen Fire Causes $65,000 in Damages

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 3:48 AM by Tori Chamberlain, KOMU 8 Digital Producer
Updated: Jan 28, 2014 5:07 AM

Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

COLUMBIA - One adult and one child are safe after a kitchen fire sparked on Claudell Lane Monday afternoon.

The Columbia Fire Department was dispatched to Columbia Square Apartments around 2:40 p.m. after a caller stated there was a fire in a kitchen appliance. Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the back of apartment 106. Crews reported that a directly exposed combustible material ignited on the scene, sending flames through both sides of the apartment.

Crews were able to hold the fire to apartment 106 with only minor damage to the adjacent apartment.

The adult in the apartment was made aware of the fire by smoke detectors. The adult and child both made it out safely. One member of the Columbia Fire Department was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Assistant Fire Marshal James Pasley determined the cause of the fire to be unattended cooking. The estimated damages were worth $65,000.

The Columbia Fire Department reminds citizens to test smoke alarms once a month, and replace batteries at least once a year.

KOMU First Alert Weather

Most Popular Right Now

Select a station to view its upcoming show schedule: KOMU 8 CW Mid-Missouri's CW

Coming Up Next

12:30 pmAccess Hollywood
1:00 pmDays of Our Lives
2:00 pmThe Meredith Vieira Show

Tonight's Schedule

7:00 pmUndateable
8:00 pmDateline NBC

Coming Up Next

12:00 pmJerry Springer
1:00 pmMaury
2:00 pmRules of Engagement

Tonight's Schedule

7:00 pmReign
8:00 pmAmerica's Next Top Model
9:00 pmKOMU 8 News @ Nine on The CW
9:30 pmSeinfeld