Light Fixture Causes Fire at Columbia Lab
COLUMBIA - The Columbia Fire Department said a light fixture caused an early morning fire on the roof of Boyce & Bynum Pathology Laboratories.
Assistant Fire Marshal Lisa Todd said the fire started from a halogen light fixture placed too close to combustible roof materials. The Columbia Fire Department responded to a call at 7:00 a.m. Tuesday that reported smoke and flames coming from the roof of the lab on Portland Avenue. Columbia firefighters arrived on the scene just after 7 o'clock and found flames coming from the north-east corner of the roof. A search of the building found that everyone had made it out safely.
The fire was determined to be contained to the north-east area of the roof. Firefighters controlled the fire in 10 minutes, but remained on the scene for more than an hour to air out the building. No injuries were reported. Only the roof was damaged, and costs are estimated to be $5,000.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: