Lint Causes Care Facility Fire
At approximately 1:00 am this morning, units of the Columbia Fire Department responded to a structure fire at the West Village Manor Residential Care Facility located at 1201 Hunt Avenue.
Fire crews found a commercial dryer on fire in the laundry area upon their arrival. Enough heat was generated by the fire that a single sprinkler head was activated.
Crews extinguished the fire and removed excessive smoke and water from the structure. The fire was contained to a single room, but water damage from a failed water pipe caused damage in other parts of the building.
The exact cause of the fire has yet to be determined.
One resident had to move from their room due to a water leak.
Damage has been estimated around $20,000.
There are no reported injuries.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: