Local church burns away negative thoughts for New years resolution

8 months 2 weeks 3 days ago Sunday, December 31 2017 Dec 31, 2017 Sunday, December 31, 2017 1:06:00 PM CST December 31, 2017 in News
By: Hailey Jennings, KOMU 8 News Reporter

COLUMBIA - A local group is letting go of the past to lead to a hopeful new year.

Unity Center of Columbia Church held a celebration this morning called the 'burning bowl ceremony.'

The event had a fire lit inside of a bowl where members and visitors dropped pieces of paper. On the papers, members wrote notes about cases and situations they want to let go of from this past year. The second part of the event was writing an uplifting note to your old self.

The letter will be mailed to church members next November to see what changes they've made to reflect.

Organizers said the main purpose is to let go of things you don’t want to keep into your life, or don’t bring into the New Year. Organizers said it a celebration of the past.

Reverend Lauri Boyd said not letting go of negative energy would hold you back from reaching future endeavors.

“Take a moment and very intentionally think about what’s holding you back, stories that you’ve carried maybe about being unworthy or you not being smart enough or not being good enough and really questioning those stories and saying no we can just let this story go. It can also be a time for forgiveness, letting go of past hurts, saying 'I just don’t want to carry that energy of anger anymore,'” said Boyd.

Boyd also said time is something we should acknowledge and celebrate.

“We mark and acknowledge things that change. As humans we can acknowledge time. With time we get to experience chance; we consider change a gift. If things didn’t change we would never learn a new skill, read a new book, hear a new song, we’d never make a new friend. We get to experience our grandchildren bring born. Because things change we get to release things. We get to release old pain. We get to release old stories that don’t serve us," Boyd said.

Members said they were able to take away many thoughts.

“It gave me a change to reflect, like this didn’t work out so well. I’m just ready to face this and then release it out,” said church member Cindy Bassett.

One member, Marian Minor, said she has been coming to the burning bowl event for 10 years.

“Thoughts or feelings that you are ready to let go of and give up, and make room for your new ideas, new ways, and new thoughts of the year. It's kind of like you need to get rid of some old stuff before you can add some new. That’s really what the burning bowl means to me,” said Minor, “Just a way to open up your heart and make room for new positive ways.”

Boyd and members of the church also had their own moments that need to be changed.

“This crazy belief that if 'I could just be perfect everyone would love me', and I laugh at myself because I know that’s not true. Nobodies perfect and people are going to love me and not love me and it makes no difference what I do,” said Boyd.

“I don’t have time. And I know that it’s true that I have 24 hours just like everyone else but I think the truth of that is I do have time, I have time for all the things that I want in my life. I chose how I use my time. It’s not that I don’t have the time it’s that I am choosing my priorities and I’m choosing what I want to do,” said Basset.

“Old stories and old ideas about how I was…” Minor said.

The next event will be next Sunday called the 'white stone ceremony.' The ceremony will represent bringing something new into your life and the New Year.

COLUMBIA - A woman has been arrested on suspicion of abuse or neglect of a 4-year-old child. Police arrested... More >>
27 minutes ago Tuesday, September 18 2018 Sep 18, 2018 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:11:00 AM CDT September 18, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - A more than 25-year-old park shelter and playground could say goodbye soon. The replacement of those two... More >>
2 hours ago Tuesday, September 18 2018 Sep 18, 2018 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:52:00 AM CDT September 18, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The Jefferson City Council approved the 2019 fiscal year budget Monday for $32,807,390.05. Mayor Carrie Tergin... More >>
12 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 10:13:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
FULTON - The Fulton Police Department arrested five people Monday for stealing from a Hibbett Sports store in Fulton. ... More >>
12 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 9:49:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
(CNN) -- President Donald Trump on Monday ordered the declassification of various documents and text messages related to the Russia... More >>
16 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 5:46:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
(CNN) -- The Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a public hearing on the allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh... More >>
16 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 5:40:19 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Missouri Task Force One continues its work with victims of Hurricane Florence this week. The task force... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 5:28:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
MOBERLY - Supporters of the "Clean Missouri" initiative endorsed Amendment 1 after a judge ordered removal to take it off... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 5:20:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — The Kansas City Police Department has rescinded commendations given to two officers involved in the fatal... More >>
17 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 5:05:10 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Columbia is testing new lights downtown this week to try and curb violence and crime. The new... More >>
18 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 4:01:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
BEVIER - The Macon County deputy who shot a man during an incident in August is back at work. ... More >>
18 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 3:54:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri's U.S. senators want a review of sexual misconduct allegations made against President Donald Trump's Supreme... More >>
19 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 2:42:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
PERRYVILLE (AP) — A 9-year-old boy whose bus driver saved him from choking says he now knows why candy isn't... More >>
19 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 2:38:54 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Two groups protested outside the Missouri Department of Corrections Monday morning with hopes of ending the 127... More >>
20 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 2:21:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The Columbia City Council approved the new city budget Monday night. This was the final hearing for... More >>
21 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 1:28:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Auditor Nicole Galloway says cities and counties skipped out on an extra $698,000 in fees... More >>
21 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 1:05:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Police are looking for a suspect in the shooting of a Jefferson City man. Around 6:01... More >>
22 hours ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 12:00:00 PM CDT September 17, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - On Sunday night, the MU Police Department arrested a man suspected of exposing himself at Ellis library. ... More >>
1 day ago Monday, September 17 2018 Sep 17, 2018 Monday, September 17, 2018 10:35:00 AM CDT September 17, 2018 in News