Markus Golden's Why

3 years 3 months 2 weeks ago Sunday, August 24 2014 Aug 24, 2014 Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:06:00 PM CDT August 24, 2014 in Mizzou Xtra
By: Mihir Bhagat, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA - Success stories aren't about what. They're about why.

"You have to have a reason," Missouri senior defensive end Markus Golden said. "You got to have a why. And my why has always been to make my family better."

But to understand why, you have to understand how Markus Golden got here. And like most success stories, it started with a vision, when he was just four years old.

"He took an interception back to the house for a touchdown and when he got back, he said I want to play at Mizzou and when he got to the NFL, he was going to buy me and his mom a house," Markus' dad Marcus Eberhart said. "And those were his exact words as a 4-year old kid."

Seventeen years later, Markus Golden took an interception back to the house for a touchdown when Mizzou played Toledo last season. Nobody could stop Markus on that play and nobody could stop him from seeing his vision.

"He slept, he ate, and his every thought was football, football," Markus' mom Rhonda Golden said.

Football was Markus' golden ticket to a better life. You see, his family grew up poor in inner-city St. Louis but his mom helped him stay focused.

"If we go outside and someone was getting pulled over by the police, she'd point them out like 'You see those guys? They're followers. You don't want to be a follower.' And since I was a kid, she put in my head, leader, leader. Be a leader," Markus Golden said.

"And it wasn't easy. I won't lie and say it was. It was not easy," Rhonda Golden said.

It wasn't easy. Markus quit football and got kicked out of high school his sophomore year. But then, it clicked.

"I just realized this isn't for me. I'm supposed to be the guy that shows my little cousins that you don't need to get in trouble. So me and my mom just sat down and wrote goals down. I wrote I want to be a football player at Mizzou. I wanted to be a 2,000 yard running back at my old high school. I wanted to break the tackling record. Quitting that team made me the man I am today," Markus Golden said.

But Markus still had to go to junior college because his grades were so bad. And even when he got to Mizzou, he started on special teams.

"You can never just sit there and be like 'I'm a backup so I'm not going to play," Markus' roommate Denzel Martin said. "Because Markus went from getting one play a game to his plays bumping and bumping and bumping."

Now, the kid who got kicked out of school is a captain and will be the first in his family to graduate from college.

"I see a lot of kids like this," Missouri assistant coach Cornell Ford said. "And some of them get lost in the shuffle. Me personally, I came from that kind of background. And the reason I'm in this profession is for kids like him. So when you see them succeed, it makes me happy. Because that's why I do this. That's why."

"I used to always call Markus my superstar. And he'd say 'Nah, mom I'm not a superstar.' The point that he is at now, I can say 'My superstar' and he'll say 'Yeah, I'm your superstar," Rhonda Golden said.

And to really understand who Markus is, realize that he could have left for the NFL. But he came back to Mizzou to get his degree so he can be a role model for his family.

"I always felt like someone had to be the one to make it out of the family to show that the Goldens were a good family and the Goldens could make stuff happen in the world," Markus Golden said.

And that is Markus Golden's why.

COLUMBIA - For people in jail, it's sometimes difficult to get together the funds to bail out. That's where... More >>
8 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:24:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Alabama Republican Roy Moore, beset by allegations of sexual misconduct, lost his bid to become a senator.... More >>
9 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:30:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The former Cole County Chief Juvenile Officer sued his former boss and the Cole County Commission Tuesday,... More >>
11 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:33:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
BOONE COUNTY - An abandoned car caught fire Tuesday at the intersection of East Broadway and South Rolling Hills Road.... More >>
12 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:21:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The man found dead at an Old Hawthorne home Monday morning was the son of a Clark County... More >>
COLUMBIA - Missouri has entered in a new foster care study that will look at foster parent recruitment and retention.... More >>
12 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:51:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
AUDRAIN COUNTY - A criminal investigation was underway Tuesday after a man's death and a vehicle fire. Foul play was... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:08:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - The 2018 Jefferson City council elections only have one contested seat: 5th Ward Council member. Incumbent... More >>
14 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:41:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Cover Missouri, a coalition promoting sign ups for the Affordable Care Act, held an open-enrollment event at the... More >>
COLUMBIA - Police are still investigating the death of Augustus Roberts, the man found dead at a home in the... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:46:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The Truman VA’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU) went live with a new Tele-ICU technology on Tuesday. Tele-ICU... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:46:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Troopers arrested a man on Tuesday after a high-speed chase which started south of Ashland and ended in... More >>
15 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:38:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
VERSAILLES - Prosecutors filed charges against three employees of the Morgan County Jail on Monday, including a nurse accused of... More >>
16 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:37:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Missouri has become the 34th state, in addition to two territories, to accept a nationwide public safety network.... More >>
16 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:35:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
NEVADA (AP) — Two inmates who were captured soon after breaking out of a western Missouri jail face new charges.... More >>
17 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:20:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
ASHLAND – Those who live around Ashland were able to avoid paying an online convenience fee or driving to Columbia... More >>
17 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:16:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - Legislation for a primary seatbelt law has been filed by the Missouri House Transportation Committee chairman. This... More >>
18 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:03:00 PM CST December 12, 2017 in Top Stories
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — Firefighters have found two bodies while battling a blaze in a Kansas City, Kansas, home.... More >>
19 hours ago Tuesday, December 12 2017 Dec 12, 2017 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:53:16 AM CST December 12, 2017 in News

7:00a