Markus Golden's Why

3 years 10 months 3 weeks ago Sunday, August 24 2014 Aug 24, 2014 Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:06:00 PM CDT August 24, 2014 in Mizzou Xtra
By: Mihir Bhagat, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA - Success stories aren't about what. They're about why.

"You have to have a reason," Missouri senior defensive end Markus Golden said. "You got to have a why. And my why has always been to make my family better."

But to understand why, you have to understand how Markus Golden got here. And like most success stories, it started with a vision, when he was just four years old.

"He took an interception back to the house for a touchdown and when he got back, he said I want to play at Mizzou and when he got to the NFL, he was going to buy me and his mom a house," Markus' dad Marcus Eberhart said. "And those were his exact words as a 4-year old kid."

Seventeen years later, Markus Golden took an interception back to the house for a touchdown when Mizzou played Toledo last season. Nobody could stop Markus on that play and nobody could stop him from seeing his vision.

"He slept, he ate, and his every thought was football, football," Markus' mom Rhonda Golden said.

Football was Markus' golden ticket to a better life. You see, his family grew up poor in inner-city St. Louis but his mom helped him stay focused.

"If we go outside and someone was getting pulled over by the police, she'd point them out like 'You see those guys? They're followers. You don't want to be a follower.' And since I was a kid, she put in my head, leader, leader. Be a leader," Markus Golden said.

"And it wasn't easy. I won't lie and say it was. It was not easy," Rhonda Golden said.

It wasn't easy. Markus quit football and got kicked out of high school his sophomore year. But then, it clicked.

"I just realized this isn't for me. I'm supposed to be the guy that shows my little cousins that you don't need to get in trouble. So me and my mom just sat down and wrote goals down. I wrote I want to be a football player at Mizzou. I wanted to be a 2,000 yard running back at my old high school. I wanted to break the tackling record. Quitting that team made me the man I am today," Markus Golden said.

But Markus still had to go to junior college because his grades were so bad. And even when he got to Mizzou, he started on special teams.

"You can never just sit there and be like 'I'm a backup so I'm not going to play," Markus' roommate Denzel Martin said. "Because Markus went from getting one play a game to his plays bumping and bumping and bumping."

Now, the kid who got kicked out of school is a captain and will be the first in his family to graduate from college.

"I see a lot of kids like this," Missouri assistant coach Cornell Ford said. "And some of them get lost in the shuffle. Me personally, I came from that kind of background. And the reason I'm in this profession is for kids like him. So when you see them succeed, it makes me happy. Because that's why I do this. That's why."

"I used to always call Markus my superstar. And he'd say 'Nah, mom I'm not a superstar.' The point that he is at now, I can say 'My superstar' and he'll say 'Yeah, I'm your superstar," Rhonda Golden said.

And to really understand who Markus is, realize that he could have left for the NFL. But he came back to Mizzou to get his degree so he can be a role model for his family.

"I always felt like someone had to be the one to make it out of the family to show that the Goldens were a good family and the Goldens could make stuff happen in the world," Markus Golden said.

And that is Markus Golden's why.

JEFFERSON CITY - Planned Parenthood advocates demonstrated a mock health care waiting room in Governor Parson's office Thursday. The... More >>
2 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:16:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley has charged a former Greenville city clerk with stealing more than... More >>
3 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:07:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — State conservation officials say six black bears have died after being hit by vehicles in Missouri... More >>
3 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:02:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
ALBANY (AP) — Prosecutors say a northern Missouri man and woman subjected an 11-year-old girl to nearly a year of... More >>
3 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:54:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
POPLAR BLUFF (AP) — A police detective and an official with the U.S. Marshals Service are recovering after being shot... More >>
3 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:39:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A southern Missouri sheriff and a subordinate have been indicted on multiple felonies following a... More >>
3 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:33:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
MANSFIELD (AP) — The Missouri State Highway Patrol says a Florida man suspected of shooting a trooper is hospitalized in... More >>
4 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:19:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Three carnival workers have been arrested in the deaths of two vendors who disappeared from... More >>
4 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:16:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - A new study released Wednesday by Climate Central found conservation farming practices can help promote healthier soil and... More >>
5 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 1:09:00 PM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - The United States Air Force (USAF) Band of Mid-America is partnering with Columbia Parks and Recreation to present... More >>
8 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:00:00 AM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
(CNN Money) -- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg tried to clarify his controversial comments about Holocaust deniers Wednesday afternoon, hours after... More >>
9 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 8:33:00 AM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA – Four National Handball Champions are coming to Columbia Saturday. Wilson’s Fitness on Forum Boulevard is hosting its... More >>
10 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:35:00 AM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
MARIES COUNTY - At the City of Belle Fair, officers arrested a sex offender carrying a stun-gun Wednesday night. ... More >>
13 hours ago Thursday, July 19 2018 Jul 19, 2018 Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:47:00 AM CDT July 19, 2018 in News
KANSAS CITY (AP) — A man who was shot to death on Sunday after shooting three Kansas City police officers... More >>
21 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:33:33 PM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
MANSFIELD (AP) — The Missouri State Highway Patrol says a trooper who was shot in southwest Missouri has been released... More >>
22 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:28:02 PM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Run-down buildings, scuffed up sidewalks and empty lots are what people first see when they exit off I-70... More >>
22 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:23:00 PM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The white former interim police chief of St. Louis is alleging discrimination based on race in... More >>
22 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:20:28 PM CDT July 18, 2018 in News
COLUMBIA - Japanese beetles are swarming mid-Missouri in the tens of thousands, wreaking havoc on gardens, crops and trees. ... More >>
22 hours ago Wednesday, July 18 2018 Jul 18, 2018 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:18:00 PM CDT July 18, 2018 in News