Missouri Softball Player and 12 Year Old Share Special Bond

1 year ago April 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014 Sunday, April 13 2014 Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:50:47 PM CDT in Tiger Talk
By: Jack Wascher, KOMU 8 Sports Reporter

COLUMBIA - Emily Crane and Camryn Schaller share similar personalities.

"They're both just very outgoing and goofy, always looking to have a good time," Kari Schaller said.

"It's tough to take Emily serious sometimes because she always joking around, but it definitely helps our team stay loose," Head Coach Ehren Earleywine said.

However, that outgoing personality took a hit March 28th. Emily sprained her MCL going after a fly ball, and immediately she knew something was wrong.

"It was something you never want to happen to you, and I didn't think it was that serious until the doctor told me what was up," Crane said.

Sidelined 2-3 weeks didn't sit too well with the sophomore outfielder, but a day later she met Camryn, who gave her a little surprise.

"They're all lined up and high-fived us and she walks up to me and gives me a TY beannie baby, a tiger and a card that says I hope you get better, can't wait to see you out on the field, love Camryn and my friend Tara, it was such a cute little card and so that whole game, I held the tiger, his name is Oasis, and I was trying to make sure, I wanted her to know I appreciated it and not just showboating, but I wanted her to know I really cared about it, so I was like I'm gonna sit this tiger by me the whole and it did really mean a lot," Crane said.

However, a day later, Crane learned Camry broke her arm in a softball game, which would force her to miss the rest of softball season, and of course Crane wanted to help out her biggest fan by going beyond the call of duty.

The next day, Crane and a number of teammates made a surprise visit to Camryn in the hospital, making Camryn feel like she was in a fantasy.

"I thought I was asleep at first because of the medicine I was on, and I didn't think they were there, I was really surprised," Camryn said.

It was a moment that brought Camryn to a smile and a trip down memory lane for Crane.

"And I just told her, these girls look up to you guys and I just thought that was awesome that they could do that for them and what great role models they are for the girls" Kari Schaller said.

"Growing up, you're that kid who looks up to everybody, and I told myself I always wanted to be like those people. I'm just really happy to see the way that my little tiger helped me through my surgery is keeping a smile on her face because I mean it's tough being a kid and you want to play, I mean I want to play but it's different because they think it's the end of the world, and I'm just happy that I could help in some way," Crane said.

"An incident like that can go such a long way with a young kid, it can touch them for the rest of their life, and I'm proud of her for doing it," Earleywine said.

"Makes me feel like I'm an important part of her life, like I'm really special to the team and stuff," Camryn said.

Crane will return to the playing field in the next week or two with her biggest fan, Camryn cheering from the stands.

FULTON - The Callaway County Sheriff's Office arrested a man early Sunday morning after actively seeking him for two warrants... More >>
43 minutes ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 7:25:50 PM CST in Continuous News
KIRKWOOD, Mo. (AP) — A St. Louis area police officer has been hospitalized after being hit by a car. ... More >>
2 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 5:41:49 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Grocery stores see an increase in customers during Super Bowl weekend. The National Retail Federation reports total customer... More >>
3 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 4:51:48 PM CST in Continuous News
RAYTOWN, Mo. (AP) — An early morning fire in a Kansas City area apartment has killed a child and injured... More >>
5 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 3:01:02 PM CST in Continuous News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The new leader of the Missouri State NAACP says he plans to build a younger, more... More >>
5 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 2:47:03 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Jefferson City man has b een placed on unsupervised probation after he pleaded guilty to... More >>
6 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:37:31 PM CST in Continuous News
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A second-floor porch in St. Louis collapsed, injuring five people, two seriously. Fire Department Capt.... More >>
6 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:31:14 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri state Rep. Genise Montecillo is talking about her suicide attempt in hopes of helping others... More >>
6 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:22:48 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Some Columbia pizza companies deliver hundreds of pizza on Superbowl Sunday with as few as three drivers. ... More >>
7 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:07:46 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Columbia police arrested two men Sunday for stealing from West Middle School. Officers along with a CPD... More >>
8 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 12:00:28 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Columbia police confirmed reports of shots fired in north Columbia early Sunday morning. Officers were dispatched to... More >>
8 hours ago February 07, 2016 Feb 7, 2016 Sunday, February 07 2016 Sunday, February 07, 2016 11:35:02 AM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The third annual Black Men Rock event at Columbia College honored leaders in the black community Saturday afternoon.... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 6:54:12 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - Police responded to a report of shots fired around 5 p.m. near Olympic Boulevard and Danbury Court in... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 6:31:44 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — A Missouri lawmaker says he's pleased that a colleague dropped a restraining order against him, but... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 5:28:16 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - The fifth annual Lunafest made its way to mid-Missouri Saturday. The festival took place at Stephens College... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 5:19:10 PM CST in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - A hearing is scheduled in the Missouri Senate Transportation, Infrastructure, and Public Safety Committee for four bills... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 4:55:18 PM CST in Continuous News
PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — The surviving suspect in a multistate crime spree has been booked into a Florida jail. ... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 3:39:43 PM CST in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - A group of kids in Columbia explored space Saturday through a monthly space show at the Columbia Public... More >>
1 day ago February 06, 2016 Feb 6, 2016 Saturday, February 06 2016 Saturday, February 06, 2016 3:24:27 PM CST in Continuous News
Interactive Radar Columbia, MO
Select a station to view its upcoming show schedule: KOMU 8 CW Mid-Missouri's CW

7:30 pmPitch Perfect