Missouri Veteran Finds Hope in the Perfect Fit

6 years 3 months 2 weeks ago Sunday, August 28 2011 Aug 28, 2011 Sunday, August 28, 2011 7:20:00 PM CDT August 28, 2011 in News
By: Kylie McGivern

COLUMBIA - Sometimes a house is more than a home. For one Missouri veteran, it's a symbol of hope, a turning point in the journey bringing the soldier back to his family, back from Iraq.

"It seemed like a normal night. It was really quiet, so that was a little bit odd," said Army SSG Robert Canine. "The last thing I remember was a noise, I blinked, and then I opened my eyes and all I saw was golden sparks."

Two years ago, Canine was returning from patrol in northwest Baghdad, when an Explosively Formed Projectile (EFP) blasted into his vehicle.

"I was so close that the explosives got in my mouth and in my nose and I could taste it. So I was trying to think, 'What happened?'" Canine explained.

What happened, would forever change Canine's life.

"I think about it a lot, just because of the injury and missing the legs. It's just a daily reminder, when something like that happens, it's like hitting a wall. Life stops. And what you were, and what you used to do is gone," he said.

Canine needed a new definition of "normal" after losing both of his legs in the accident.

"I just kind of broke down and realized I needed to give up what I used to be, and move on to something else."

The depression, constant pain and frustration took a toll on on his 10-year-old son and wife.

Canine's wife, Jennifer, said she felt the need to be her family's rock during the tough times. She would, "try to keep things as normal as possible and let them know everything is gonna be okay."

But behind the smile and stability, Canine said his world was crumbling.

"It was very tough on the family. I mean there was a point where she wife was even, she was even gonna leave me, because I didn't want to do anything. I wouldn't wear my legs so I just sat around," Canine said, shaking his head in defeat as he brought himself back to that time in his life.

Canine spent 17 months recovering at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., only to return home and spend another five months fighting a losing battle of trying to make ill-fitted prosthetics work. He knew something wasn't right with his prosthetics.

"The only comparison I can think of, is if a normal person who has feet tried to wear high heels that are both left feet or both right feet. Try to walk 30 minutes doing that," Canine explained.

Canine found hope, at Abbott O & P, a Jefferson City prosthetics lab.

"So many of them have low expectations because they've been told, 'We'll that's the best you're going to do.'" Orthotist Pete Abbott said.

"After about 30 minutes on the old legs, I was just exhausted, to where I mean 30 minutes on these legs and it's no problem because they're prosthetically sound," Canine said.

"That's just who Robert is, he's gonna push it as far as he can, and so it challenges us to be better at what we do," Orthotist Mark Kuhn said.

"I wasted five months in a place, and then I came down here [Abbott O & P], and in five weeks, I got good sockets. There's a difference," Canine said.

But Kuhn says it's Canine who made a difference.

"People like Robert, I mean just, they make you want to be a better person," Kuhn said.

Canine's wife said getting their new home helped get her family through the tougher times. A national charity, "Homes for Our Troops" and hundreds of local volunteers raised the money to build the home for the Canines last year. The home was built to accomodate Canine's need to move freely in his wheelchair.

"With the home, it really allowed me to focus on having a goal to get home and get on with life," Canine said.

But Canine did more than "get on with life." He paid it forward and changed the life of another.

"I felt really non-deserving. There's other guys out there that need it (specially adapted home) more than me. So my first thought was that I was gonna raise $100,000 for the next guy," Canine said.

Through a profile page where people could donate on Homes for Our Troops, personal letters and word of mouth, Canine set a goal to raise $100,000 in 10 months.

He raised it in six.

Now, Canine can focus on his new goals - graduating with a business degree from the University of Missouri,where he began classes this semester, getting a job, and taking care of his family.

Canine's story is personal, but the message, universal.

"Don't limit yourself to, 'I can't do this or what because of whatever reason. Find a way to adapt and move forward, small steps lead to big gains," he said.

For more information on how to donate and get involved in Homes for Our Troops, click here

ORONOGO (AP) — Homeowners living near a gun range in southwest Missouri are concerned about stray bullets that have been... More >>
1 hour ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 3:32:30 PM CST December 11, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - When someone goes to the doctor for a checkup, they might expect the regular look at their eyes,... More >>
1 hour ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 3:15:00 PM CST December 11, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri's attorney general is weighing whether to appoint a special investigator to check into use of... More >>
2 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 2:45:00 PM CST December 11, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - One MU Nursing School program has reduced the number of nursing home patients from hospitalization by nearly 50... More >>
2 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 2:24:00 PM CST December 11, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA- The Missouri Attorney General's office is forming an advisory board to develop the first statewide program in Missouri that... More >>
4 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 12:22:00 PM CST December 11, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - The city plans to begin repairing base failures in the Thornbrook Subdivision beginning Dec. 11 at 8 a.m.... More >>
5 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 11:34:00 AM CST December 11, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY - A Missouri state representative has filed more legislation which would redefine "marriage" as a "contract of domestic... More >>
5 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 11:22:00 AM CST December 11, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA – Monday is the final day to donate to Columbia Parks and Recreation’s Almeta Crayton Memorial Toy Drive. ... More >>
6 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 10:58:00 AM CST December 11, 2017 in News
JEFFERSON CITY (AP) — Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens says he wants his five new appointees to the state veterans... More >>
6 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 10:50:00 AM CST December 11, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - UPDATE: 1:44 P.M. A police officer confirmed white paint footprints are related to Monday's investigation. The police officer... More >>
9 hours ago Monday, December 11 2017 Dec 11, 2017 Monday, December 11, 2017 7:34:00 AM CST December 11, 2017 in Top Stories
COLUMBIA - Nearly four years ago to the day, local business owner Linda Bonebrake was diagnosed with severe sepsis at... More >>
22 hours ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 6:47:00 PM CST December 10, 2017 in Continuous News
JEFFERSON CITY - Bird lovers got an up close look at birds typically seen in their backyards Sunday. It... More >>
23 hours ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 5:36:00 PM CST December 10, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - Museums around Columbia hosted docent led tours Sunday, spreading awareness about their exhibits and art collections. Docents are... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:59:00 PM CST December 10, 2017 in Continuous News
COLUMBIA - 2017 will mark the 140th Christmas the historic Maplewood House has seen from its home in south Columbia.... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:54:00 PM CST December 10, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA - MU Police Department, MU Greek Life, local businesses and residents made Operation Steal Back Christmas a huge success.... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:31:00 PM CST December 10, 2017 in News
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — After more than 20 years of providing resources and activities for home schooling, a southwest Missouri... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 11:38:00 AM CST December 10, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — Jordan Geist, a role player known most for his scrappy style, scored 28 points Saturday night... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:39:00 AM CST December 10, 2017 in News
COLUMBIA- Alyssa Schell joined the University of Missouri Police Department as a dispatcher in February, excited to be living out... More >>
1 day ago Sunday, December 10 2017 Dec 10, 2017 Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:28:00 AM CST December 10, 2017 in News

KOMU 8 News @ 5