MoDOT releases funding to more than 12 mid-Missouri cities
CENTRALIA- Some mid-Missouri students may find it easier to walk to school in the future.
MoDOT selected 14 different projects in 13 communities to receive funding from the Transportation Alternatives Program or TAP.
The program funds improvements such as sidewalks, recreational trails and scenic byways.
The total amount given this year was a little bit more than four million dollars.
One of the selected communities, Centralia, will use the money to build sidewalks in front of the high school.
"It's a pretty flat community," Centralia City Administrator Matt Harline said. "You can walk or ride your bike from one end of town to the other."
Currently the city believes the walk to school is not as safe as it should be.
"There is a narrow road, ditches on both sides, it simply wasn't safe for pedestrians," Hairline said.
Under TAP, the federal grant covers 80 percent of the project with the town matching the remaining 20 percent.
Up next for Centralia, they will pick out an engineering firm to begin designs and open bids for the project.
Select a station to view its upcoming schedule: